Fuel Economy

06allegro

What fuel mileage are other 2011 Edge owners getting? Would like to know if mine is typical or if I have a problem.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited, six speed auto, 3.5L engine, FWD. Window sticker says ave highway MPG is 27. I cannot get near that - getting about 23-24 MPG. I don't use the fuel economy display in the message center - this only shows MPG for last 5, 10 or 30 minutes - useless as far as I am concerned. I'm interested in MPG over 50 to 100 miles.

I use Trip 1 and 2 to record MPG. I cleared trip 2 when I first got the car and never reset it - this gives me life MPG. I use Trip 1 to monitor MPG on the highway. I reset it when I get up to speed on an Interstate and watch it for as long as I am on the Interstate. I use cruise control religiously. I look at the instantaneous MPG and depending on how level the road is I can get 27 - 28. But the least little grade causes the transmission to downshift and the MPG goes down. Sixth gear must not have very much power because it is constantly shifting (feel it and Tach goes up) - thought I would do better in 6th with a 3.5L. Average speed = 65 - 70 MPH.

Dealer said to wait until I have 10K on it because it should improve - it hasn't. Going to be reluctant for them to reflash the transmission or engine settings - have had bad experiences with that.

What fuel mileage are other 2011 Edge owners getting? Would like to know if mine is typical or if I have a problem.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited, six speed auto, 3.5L engine, FWD. Window sticker says ave highway MPG is 27. I cannot get near that - getting about 23-24 MPG. I don't use the fuel economy display in the message center - this only shows MPG for last 5, 10 or 30 minutes - useless as far as I am concerned. I'm interested in MPG over 50 to 100 miles.

I use Trip 1 and 2 to record MPG. I cleared trip 2 when I first got the car and never reset it - this gives me life MPG. I use Trip 1 to monitor MPG on the highway. I reset it when I get up to speed on an Interstate and watch it for as long as I am on the Interstate. I use cruise control religiously. I look at the instantaneous MPG and depending on how level the road is I can get 27 - 28. But the least little grade causes the transmission to downshift and the MPG goes down. Sixth gear must not have very much power because it is constantly shifting (feel it and Tach goes up) - thought I would do better in 6th with a 3.5L. Average speed = 65 - 70 MPH.

Dealer said to wait until I have 10K on it because it should improve - it hasn't. Going to be reluctant for them to reflash the transmission or engine settings - have had bad experiences with that.

Check out Fuelly for real world results. My highway mileage is about the same as yours and as you can see, overall average seems to be settling in around 19.2 MPG with a high ratio of city driving.

I can't drive 60!

I've never gotten over 19 on the hi-way in my AWD...but I drive 85! :speedie:

We don't have highways like other states... most are still only one lane each direction - just no stop lights. Some have passing lanes that I can get up to 85, but then my mileage drops. Or there is a 10 mile section with three lanes. So we really use the term highway loosely up here. :)

I have had my Edge since July of this year. I travel 80 miles round trip M-F for work and all but 8 of that is State Hwy. Even with the very hot Summer, my average fuel economy comes in at 23.6. I use Cruise control and pretty much keep it at the speed limit and keep the Climate on Auto. So far, considering the size & weight of the Edge, I am pleased with the fuel economy.

And I can't drive 85! :shift:

Edited by Xargon79

Must be an online converter somewhere that can convert litres/100 kms to MPG...

In any event with my wife driving around town (she of the much more gentle foot compared to me) our MKX (3.7 L engine) gets only about 12.5 L/100 km. It's a bit better in the summer but still well below the government estimates on the window sticker. In fact it never really gets close, city or highway. I don't worry too much about it, it's still a heck of a lot better than the pickup truck I have to drive much of the time.

• 1 month later...

Must be an online converter somewhere that can convert litres/100 kms to MPG...

In any event with my wife driving around town (she of the much more gentle foot compared to me) our MKX (3.7 L engine) gets only about 12.5 L/100 km. It's a bit better in the summer but still well below the government estimates on the window sticker. In fact it never really gets close, city or highway. I don't worry too much about it, it's still a heck of a lot better than the pickup truck I have to drive much of the time.

This is the very best one...http://motormouth.com.au/myvehicle/consumptioncalculator.aspx

I have 2011 Edge Sport Gas/LPG conversion.Either way ,running on gas or LPG I get constantly about 25/27 MPG ,friend of mine who drives my Edge time from time get usually 18/ 20 MPG .So it is clearly individual thing.

11 edge only had it 2 months, have 3,000 miles on it. I get 19.8 around town and recent trip from NY to KY I got between 22-25 mpg with AWD. I personally think that is great. I was only getting 28 mpg on the highway with my 08 xb and we only get 24mpg with my finance's 06 Mazda 6s with the 3.0 V6... Also only get 22mpg with my moms 04 Ford Escape 3.0 V6 4X4...That is max Escape is usually closer to 18 mpg..

• 1 month later...

2011 FWD Limited, 20" wheels with 6K, mostly non-highway driving and I'm at 22.1 mpg according to the onboard display. Had a 2006 Chevy Malibu SS, 240 hp, fwd and averaged 21-22 mpg, although I may have "leaned" on that a bit more than the Edge. As others have commented, considering the size and weight of the Edge I am pleased to this point.