Fuel Mileage Getting Better 'n Better

Scorpio

Idling, accelerating, and/or using any accessories (electronics/HVAC/etc.) seem to consume the most fuel per the mpg display. Makes sense.

Right after filling up gas, I was able to featherfoot my way home, and achieved 22.0 mpg on the way back (all city, no hwy, but almost no stopping).

In the evening, after a short trip around town (including necessary hard acceleration), back to about 16.7 mpg. Thhhhppphttt ...

I get great mpg with my 3.5 because I'm always paying attention and know how to do it. It's kind of a game to me. I have know doubt I could do way better driving the Ecoboost. I don't care what you drive, knowing how to increase mpg through driving habits will increase mpg more then anything else. The real-time mpg readout on our 2011+ Edges can really help drivers learn how to squeeze those extra miles out of each gallon of gas.

As mentioned, it's all in the driving style I'm sure. And a few break in miles doesn't hurt, don't expect top figures with sitll less than 1 k miles on the clock. Steady state cruise at 60-65mph seems to be the sweet spot in mine and now nets easy 25+mpg. Definitely much over 65 and mpg noticeably drops on the dash display. I'm usually in no big hurry to get places on those longer cruises, just enjoy the ride and decent mpg is sure to follow :shift:

• 2 weeks later...

2013 awd 3.5 six weeks old with about 1400 on the odom and i cant get better then 15! i know im a more spirited driver than most, but 15? all the variables are good(tire press. etc) lately since ive been using sport mode only, i cant even get 15! i dont try so for economy so im not too concerned, but i was hoping for at least 17-19 for my daily mix of city/hgwy. still, using cheap gas equals me out to just a little less then i was spending on fuel in my 3 series averaging just under 20mpg. ford definitely inflated their numbers on this buggy. i couldnt imagine how you would have to drive to get 19(city hgwy mix)

My wife's 13 Edge with less 1000 on the clock gets a little over 18 to and from work. Granny's pass her and it makes me crazy to ride with her but she gets decent mpg's. Town for us is a small town in western Ohio so its not bumper to bumper traffic like some places.

We have a 2012 limited 3.5. We recently drove round trip from Alabama to Parris Island S.C.The trip was mostly interstate and I drove between 75-80. Counting the miles we logged while there it was 1200 miles and averaged 24.9. I was very happy with that considering we spent considerable time idling in traffic in Atlanta. We attended our sons graduation from boot camp and spent probably 30-45 minutes one day sitting in the car idling trying to stay warm.

Around tow and back and forth to work we get around 21.

We love our Edge. It is very comfortable and has a great ride. All the bells and whistles don't hurt.

• 2 months later...

Traded in a 07 impala which was great on gas, getting about 7- 7.5 on the average fuel gauge.

Got a 2013 edge limited with v6 and driving it home and driving the way I would drive my impala for good mileage I got an 7.3 average, so I am very pleased if you can believe these gauges, I would say its as good as the impala and this is winter driving.

My wife on the same trip it would probably give 8.5, it's all how you drive.

I will know more when I fill it up and check my mileage against the gauge.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

With my 2011 V6 AWD limited, mixed driving lands me around 22mpg (combined). Occasionally I take a 2.5 hour trip for work, and even going 75 I'll pull around 25mpg (If I slow it down, it's a bit higher). But the "Average" will always be reduced with local driving.

There are so many variables in what effects mileage: altitude, season (winter, spring, etc), load, speed, tire pressure, and some other factors. I'd even imagine that getting certain content packages might effect aerodynamics and weight to some degree.

I think it's easy to lose sight that this is a 4200lbs car with alot of ground clearance given the drive. For me, the mileage was much better than my previous vehicle (Nissan Xterra).

Man, I get a consistent 19 mpg on my hilly 55 mph roads with some flat freeways and a small town of 25 mph. I'm planning a 2200 mile round trip to Florida next week. Hopefully the odometer doesn't make me kill myself, and I pray for the mpg's y'all are getting. The mountains through the Virginia's kill it! Four people in it with a big subwoofer/box and all the luggage. Just sounds like a nightmare.

Man, I get a consistent 19 mpg on my hilly 55 mph roads with some flat freeways and a small town of 25 mph. I'm planning a 2200 mile round trip to Florida next week. Hopefully the odometer doesn't make me kill myself, and I pray for the mpg's y'all are getting. The mountains through the Virginia's kill it! Four people in it with a big subwoofer/box and all the luggage. Just sounds like a nightmare.

2200 mile roud?! Hope you got a coffee maker in that Edge.