Occasional transmission slipping upon starting after stop.

dudley

2011 Edge with 12,500 miles. About 6-10 times during this peoird, both wife and I (driving solo) have noticed a slipping after acceleration out of a stopped position, or acceleration from a very slow roll, like through a yield sign. Feels almost like the tranny is in neutral then "settles" into first gear. Back to dealer twice, but of course, they can not duplicate the situation. Any ideas or suggestions would sure be appreciated.

We had the same thing and just got the dealer to do something after two previous tries. They performed a repair based on a TSB, I don't have a copy of it handy but if you search around it covers both this slipping sensation and the harsh bump. If you read it there are a couple of criteria you need to meet but it is easy enough to check yourself to see if it would apply. So far after the work it seems much smoother and some of the harsh shifting we had is gone.

NP...hope it helps. As Wilson66604 mentioned I think having the TSB in hand is helpful, especially if you have complained about it in the past. Honestly they should know about it and should just do the work since it isn't likely they will be able to recreate the issue in a short test drive but I think they try to cover their a$$es to make sure they get paid by Ford.

• 1 month later...

My 2011 Edge that I purchasd in 2010 has 18K miles is also "slipping" intermittently from a full stop. The shifting for first and second gears has always been harsh, but I thought that was due to the towing package. Now, it will surge, then clunk into gear and then again clunk when shifting into second gear. I'm going to the dealer with this TSB and see what they can do. It scares the heck out of my wife.

I brought my 2011 Edge to the dealer last week to check on the transmission problem. I had left the TSB on the front seat. The service manager initially stated that it would just need a computer reset, but then called back to say that they had to order parts. I had it in the shop today to replace a "screen in the transmission that would only take an hour or two". I called at 2PM and they hadn't started working on the car, but at 4:45 I got a call that my car was fixed. However, the surge and clunk into gear happened twice in the less than three mile drive home.

One thing I noticed was that all of my SYNC user settings were still in the system, when normally they are lost when the SYNC system is reset by the dealer. It didn't hit me at first because I was relieved to not have to reprogram my navigation, but when I got home after the problems reocurred I struck me that the system couldn't have been reset. Anyway, it appears the TSB work failed to correct the problem. It's going to be tough to sell this car without taking a big loss.

Edited by netizenX

Wow I would find another dealer. If they won't provide you with service records it makes me think things are a bit shady. As for the MFT not being reset...unless you had them do something to that system they can communicate with other modules and reprogram w/o affecting the MFT. Also even if they did something with the MFT I beleive there is a setting now to reset w/o wipping data.

Wow I would find another dealer. If they won't provide you with service records it makes me think things are a bit shady. As for the MFT not being reset...unless you had them do something to that system they can communicate with other modules and reprogram w/o affecting the MFT. Also even if they did something with the MFT I beleive there is a setting now to reset w/o wipping data.

Thanks for the reply. So, it is possible for a tech to "reset the system" (what ever that means) without wiping the MFT settings. This dealer has been a matter of convenience for me, but your right. What's disconcerting is that some past records for maintenance that I have received only indicate part of the service, like the oil change, even though I brought car in for a problem with the MFT. They usually offer to change the oil or perform some other service because "it was time." Then, my receipt would indicate an oil change, even though they also updated the MFT. I've learned from other web sites to only have them perform one type of maintenance at a time. As far as the oil changes go, the dealer originally told me to bring it back every 2500 miles. And when I questioned this frequency with synthetic oil after reading an Edmunds article online, I was told that was their "performance" recommendation.

Edited by netizenX

Well I believe that TSB also mentions reprogramming a control module for the trans...this definitely can be done without wiping your MFT data. What I am not sure about is if your mention of "computer reset" refers to the TSB or an issue you discussed about the MFT. If it is the MFT I do recall an option in the new version that allows you to reset the system to factory defaults but keep phone pairing or something like that. Not sure what it clears or doesn't. But like I said that dealer just sounds like a problem.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to provide an update to my transmission problem. I returned the vehicle a second time after it was supposedly repaired. When I picked it up I was told that they only had to reset the computer. I requested a receipt and it only says that they performed a diagnostic check with no time listed. Anyway, the clunking was gone, for a few weeks, but is now intermittent and very infrequent. I can't reproduce the problem, but the transmission shifts into second gear REALLY hard on occasion. I'll need to find another dealer.

• 1 month later...

Have the dealership check the throttle body. I took mine to the dealership on a Friday for what felt like transmission slip. They did a "fix". I drove the car a few days later and the slip was worse than ever (felt like someone learning how to drive a stick shift).

Was driving the Edge on a busy 6 lane section of interstate when the speed begins to reduce on it's own. Luckily, I was able to get the car to the emergency lane without being hit. Car towed to dealership and the throttle body is in the process of being replaced.

Do they need to disassemble the entire trans for this fix? I've heard that once that's done the trans has a greater chance of leaking in the future versus being left alone with the factory seal which may last the lifetime of the vehicle. I'm just wondering if I should i've with the occasional bump or have this done?

• 4 weeks later...

I had the harsh shift problem when accelerating from a low speed when my vehicle was new. After I had the TSB work done it was fine - for about a year. Now it's back and worse in terms of frequency than ever. And a few of those shifts feel like someone has rammed you from behind. Of course the dealer can't find any error codes and can't reproduce the issue (I hate my dealer but they're the only one around). So nothing is ever going to be done I assume, unless Ford brings out an updated TSB related to this issue. I guess I will have no choice but to buy an extended warranty.

• 7 months later...

We have the similar problems with our 2011 edge leased in the fall of 2010 as mentioned above. Slipping transmission and now the occasional stall. Neither of these have a driver habit process/workflow to reproduce the issue.

It is about at 9K in mileage, and the issue didn't start until after we followed the request to have the Sync software update completed. In that process they had to replace the module, which I would hazard to guess was culprit in controlling the acceleration command(s).

I called the dealership yesterday (07/02/13) and they just laughed at me when I mentioned it. Their Transmission 'guy' is booked until next week...I mentioned to them that it is a personal safety concern with the stalling. Someone could get killed from another car because of mechanical failure...that is being ignored. So either you don't drive it and don't buy one, or you do an risk serious personal injury.

Has anyone gotten resolution?

I have the TSB but it sounds like this doesn't resolve the issue when the fix is applied.

Edited by Skott

• 3 weeks later...

The sloppy transmission/thunk when accelerating from a slow speed requires two fixes. Both are related to TSBs for the issue. One is a mechanical fix (drilling out some ball bearings/valves and the other a software patch to to the onboard computer. I had them done at different times. After the mechanical fix, it became actually worse. Once I took it in again and had the patch applied, the car drives so much better, a night and day difference. I can still recreate it if I try but it is a much better ride now.

Figured I better fix it now before having to replace the transmission after warranty due to all the strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the TSB for the transmission done a few years ago and the symptoms have returned.

Thinking it had something to do with the programming, I decided to try driving in manual mode. Forcing late up-shifts and early down-shifts. i did this for a couple of short commutes.

Call me crazy but I think the issue is resolved...for now

Smooth shifts and no CLUNKS.

Try it and see if it helps you.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My 2011 edge lease is up march 30th 2014 I can't wait. Every imaginable problem listed above and other posts on this forum, i been through it. The last one was this slipping of the tranny. They did some TSB update so who know if it works because the problem is random. 22k on it. bye bye sync bye bye stiff steering wheel just plain old bye-bye. the words of "we didn't find anything wrong with it" will be for the unsuspecting person who buys it after me. I wish i can leave a note inside for them. don't buy this one. its was a love hate relationship towards the Edge. started with a 06 escape then a 08 escape stepped up to the edge and now I'm stepping OUT. thanks for all the info on the forum anyway I wish everyone all the best with their vehicles.

My 2011 edge lease is up march 30th 2014 I can't wait. Every imaginable problem listed above and other posts on this forum, i been through it. The last one was this slipping of the tranny. They did some TSB update so who know if it works because the problem is random. 22k on it. bye bye sync bye bye stiff steering wheel just plain old bye-bye. the words of "we didn't find anything wrong with it" will be for the unsuspecting person who buys it after me. I wish i can leave a note inside for them. don't buy this one. its was a love hate relationship towards the Edge. started with a 06 escape then a 08 escape stepped up to the edge and now I'm stepping OUT. thanks for all the info on the forum anyway I wish everyone all the best with their vehicles.

I'm in the same boat. Love this car a lot. But even the newer years have some issues people are going back to the dealer. This might be my first and last Ford.

Hey edge535,

Are you currently experiencing concerns? I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll look into available options. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd