Do these brakes look bad?

I've attached a picture of my front brake rotors on my 2007 sel. I noticed that the front rotors seem to have concentric rings on them, almost scratches, while the rears do not. Is this bad or does this mean it's time for replacement? Is there an easy way to tell if the front rotors or pads need replacement?

post-18533-0-02962200-1340316504_thumb.jpg

I've attached a picture of my front brake rotors on my 2007 sel. I noticed that the front rotors seem to have concentric rings on them, almost scratches, while the rears do not. Is this bad or does this mean it's time for replacement? Is there an easy way to tell if the front rotors or pads need replacement?

Run your fingernail across it - if it catches then it's a deep scratch that might need to be fixed. Otherwise it's normal cosmetic stuff. Pull the wheel and check the thickness of the pads inside the calipers.

• 1 month later...

Your pads look good. The rotors look like they were not turned the last pad change, no biggy, if you are not getting any grinding or shake in the front end. Looks like the Chicago salt is doing its thing on the bare metal. Probably normal for the area. A lot of brake jobs require new rotors now, when the pads are gone. I guess it is the price we pay for good pad material and stopping 4000 lbs. Yours looks like normal wear. Keep driving. Brakes usually last something in the neighborhood of 50 to 70K miles. If you are on the upper end you are doing well, just keep an ear out for the grinding sound.

Bendix CT-3 ceramic Pads are friction rated FF

Akebono ceramicPads are friction rated FF

Raybestos ceramic are friction FF at the low end of FF

EBC ceramic red stuff is friction rated GG

Marty

What are the code letters on the OE Motorcraft??

Edited by Depiry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bendix CT-3 ceramic Pads are friction rated FF

Akebono ceramicPads are friction rated FF

Raybestos ceramic are friction FF at the low end of FF

EBC ceramic red stuff is friction rated GG

Marty

What are the code letters on the OE Motorcraft??

What do these ratings mean?

Also, will any pad and or rotors give me significantly shorter stopping distances?

I didn't realize the salt caused so much rusting and bad pitting. That's freaking crazy. I may bitch when it 95 degrees on most Summer days but at least I don't have to worry about road salt for more than one or two times a year and even then it's only on a few bridges! I feel bad for you snow belt folks!

I didn't realize the salt caused so much rusting and bad pitting. That's freaking crazy. I may bitch when it 95 degrees on most Summer days but at least I don't have to worry about road salt for more than one or two times a year and even then it's only on a few bridges! I feel bad for you snow belt folks!

Living in the north has it's pitfalls.

Is there any difference in front rotors between the FWD and AWD 07-11 Edges?

Thanks for the help guys. While I'm in there changing my pads and rotors, is there anything else I should do which will increase the life of the system, such as greasing or lubricating anything? Maybe some anti-seeze on some of the bolts?

Do not apply anything to the bolts. It will screw up the torque.. You can add some grease where the wheels meet the rotor hat to avoid any corosion. Sometimes the wheel will stick.

Living in the north has it's pitfalls.

Is there any difference in front rotors between the FWD and AWD 07-11 Edges?

2011 and up have a different breaking system. Rear rotors are much larger and the booster and calipers are revised. Since the AWD spec has a larger swept area for the front i suspect the front pads are slightly larger (at least from Ford)