After one full day...

blu by u

So I picked up my Black SEL+ AWD yesterday at noon. Since then, I've put about 75 miles on it and thus far, I LOVE IT!

Some observations;

It doesn't really seem like 260+ HP and I'm a little dissapointed in the "get up". Mostly from a stand-still... It does have some nice passing gears and once the RPM's are up, she has good torque. I've been driving a Taurus with the Duratec 24V engine for the past few years and it seems comparable in power to that.

Wish it had auto up windows but instead, just a drivers side auto down.

I didn't notice ANY glare even though I read much about that over the past couple of weeks.

Very comfortable and extremely quiet. Nice ride for a shorter wheelbase vehicle and not choppy at all.

It has an AMAZING turning radius.

Premium sound system is sweet!

If a rear window is lowered more than half way with the front windows up and Vista roof closed, there's a real disturbing sound that is REALLY irriatating! Somebody try it and let me know if you find the same...

The kids LOVE the reclining rear seats and their own sunroof.

I didn't realize it had lights under the side mirrors and it looks pretty cool at night when parked and lit up.

Being a "premium vehicle" IMO, I would have liked to have seen signal lights on the side mirrors as a safety feature. Even my wifes '03 Beetle convertible has 'em...

Oh... and it gets LOTS of looks! Good on the ego ya know... :hysterical:

All in all, it has lived up to my expectations early on and I got up at 7am (on a Sunday morning) just to take it out for a drive... :shift: :hyper: ... I know... I'm a bit strange... :wacko:

Steve

So I picked up my Black SEL+ AWD yesterday at noon. Since then, I've put about 75 miles on it and thus far, I LOVE IT!

Some observations;

It doesn't really seem like 260+ HP and I'm a little dissapointed in the "get up". Mostly from a stand-still... It does have some nice passing gears and once the RPM's are up, she has good torque. I've been driving a Taurus with the Duratec 24V engine for the past few years and it seems comparable in power to that.

Compared to the Murano we traded in, our Edge seems to have just as much pep, if not more.

I believe the auto up windows are available for the '08 model. Can't understand why they were left out of the '07, though.

I didn't notice ANY glare even though I read much about that over the past couple of weeks.

Our black Edge with the black interior doesn't suffer from glare, either. I think it's a problem with the lighter color interiors.

Very comfortable and extremely quiet. Nice ride for a shorter wheelbase vehicle and not choppy at all.

Agree!

If a rear window is lowered more than half way with the front windows up and Vista roof closed, there's a real disturbing sound that is REALLY irriatating! Somebody try it and let me know if you find the same...

This has been commented on by many others....really no fix for it unless you open more windows.

I didn't realize it had lights under the side mirrors and it looks pretty cool at night when parked and lit up.

Being a "premium vehicle" IMO, I would have liked to have seen signal lights on the side mirrors as a safety feature. Even my wifes '03 Beetle convertible has 'em...

I think Ford should have included them as well...could be something that's on the Lincoln model?

We've had folks stop us at gas stations and parking lots asking about our Edge. Never have had that many comments on any other car we've owned.

All in all, it has lived up to my expectations early on and I got up at 7am (on a Sunday morning) just to take it out for a drive... :shift: :hyper: ... I know... I'm a bit strange... :wacko:

Steve

Enjoy your new Edge....!

Gentlemen: Pahleez :stop: I'll tell you my experience and why I don't care for the turn signal in the mirror... You're towing a trailer at night and are about to make a sharp, if not somewhat short, turn... You want to keep your eye on the trailer and the light is flashing in your eyes...Not so good.......I would say if the car came with a hitch, then no turn lights in the mirror, but a hitch can be added...After-all it was designed as a utility vehicle to "maybe" pull a small trailer......Since I have pulled more trailer miles than I would care to think about...Yep....I don't care for the mirror turn lights either.......Just a thought...............Happy.......... :shift: ......Sr.

I remember when there was this silver handle thing with a knob at the end attached to the inside of the door.

It turned in a circle but was really uncomfortable to use as you sat in the driver's seat.

LOL... no kidding!

We get so spoiled now that it's just the way we think. Our kids have never seen a rotary phone and can't believe we didn't have cell phones "back in the day"!

With regards to turn signals on the side mirrors, after driving my wifes Bug many times at night, I personally don't find it an issue. It's certainly not blinding to a point where you can't see out of the mirror while it's flashing! Being that we can't pull anything of any real size with the Edge, I don't forsee that being a barrier in any way but more personal preference.

Side note; I got beat by a Pontiac Pursuit this morning. WHAT'S THAT ABOUT??? Not a happy guy... :rant:

Steve

Edited by blu by u

LOL... no kidding!

We get so spoiled now that it's just the way we think. Our kids have never seen a rotary phone and can't believe we didn't have cell phones "back in the day"!

With regards to turn signals on the side mirrors, after driving my wifes Bug many times at night, I personally don't find it an issue. It's certainly not blinding to a point where you can't see out of the mirror while it's flashing! Being that we can't pull anything of any real size with the Edge, I don't forsee that being a barrier in any way but more personal preference.

Side note; I got beat by a Pontiac Pursuit this morning. WHAT'S THAT ABOUT??? Not a happy guy... :rant:

Steve

*DISCLAIMER: STREET RACING IS BAD. NEVER STREET RACE.

WTF? Beat by a Pursuit? A GT (top model) only has 171 HP.

There is no way you should have "lost" to this...well, and don't take this wrong but...

A lot of times it isn't the ... car ...

*DISCLAIMER: STREET RACING IS BAD. NEVER STREET RACE.

WTF? Beat by a Pursuit? A GT (top model) only has 171 HP.

There is no way you should have "lost" to this...well, and don't take this wrong but...

A lot of times it isn't the ... car ...

Well I would NEVER condone street racing EVER, in fact, that may be the first time I ever have… :shades:

I've often said :"it's not always the car", but in an automatic it's pretty much a no brainer. I can see blowing a shift in a 5 speed and going home with your tail between your legs but it's not like he got a huge jump on me at the lights... Now granted the Edge is carrying way more weight but I was shocked!

He started out about half a car length ahead and maintained that up to about half a block. There was construction ahead so that's as far as we went and we both backed down.

I'm going with the theory that it's brand new (143KM) and maybe there's a "break in" period before it maximizes its HP. :doh:

Steve

Hi there!! Congrats on the new vehicle!!!

I think that totally annoying noise is actually on a lot of vehicles! My father has a Chevy Impala, and when my hubby and myself rode in the back of it while on a family vacation last year, it was awful!

It felt like our ears were going to burst!

I have noticed it in a few other vehicles also...

I wonder what that is...lol

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned and/or driven several vehicles that have done this, including a BMW and a Volvo. I think it has to do with the flow/pressure of the air coming in the back windows causing the headliner to "flutter". It's really annoying, but usually opening up another window a little stops it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some observations;

Steve

I took delivery of a 2008 Limited yesterday and have some additions.....

Overall pleased with vehicle.

A couple of improvements.....

Instrumentation is terrible to view at dusk with headlights off.....anyone else notice this or is it just me?

At night the panel dimmer set as high as it goes doesn't make panel bright enough to clearly see in my opinion.

Sync and Ipod works well but the screen on the Navi Radio could be a little more user friendly and colorful, Microsoft could have had something really good here but it is only average. I use and Iphone and not all phone/text functions work with Sync. Does MS really not like Apple! Hopefully we will see a software update to improve sync.

The LIMITED version should have a little sharper styling than lesser models, maybe leather door panels or some woodgrain finish.

Drink holder in door is useless.

There are many things to like about the Edge. Happy with it but It misses on a few issues and I would agree with original post plus my own additions.

Edited by on edge

Not totally useless. I put a small plastic cup in there and use it for trash. As a drink holder, a bottle of water is about all you can expect to store in it.

If it's the angled one on the bottom of the door like my fusion - I've used it several times. You can put any bottled drink in there and even fast food cups if they have a lid and aren't too full. Came in handy when I bought 3 Wendy's Frostys one night.

Instrumentation is terrible to view at dusk with headlights off.....anyone else notice this or is it just me?

At night the panel dimmer set as high as it goes doesn't make panel bright enough to clearly see in my opinion.

Sync and Ipod works well but the screen on the Navi Radio could be a little more user friendly and colorful, Microsoft could have had something really good here but it is only average. I use and Iphone and not all phone/text functions work with Sync. Does MS really not like Apple! Hopefully we will see a software update to improve sync.

The LIMITED version should have a little sharper styling than lesser models, maybe leather door panels or some woodgrain finish.

There are many things to like about the Edge. Happy with it but It misses on a few issues and I would agree with original post plus my own additions.

I totally agree about the instrumentation light intensity. My first post on here dealt with that observation and some replying had the same low light and others were uncomfortably bright. It's compounded by the fact that the gauge faces are slightly dark which limits the contrast with the lettering. White would have been better.

I totally agree about the instrumentation light intensity. My first post on here dealt with that observation and some replying had the same low light and others were uncomfortably bright. It's compounded by the fact that the gauge faces are slightly dark which limits the contrast with the lettering. White would have been better.

• 1 month later...

I have had my 2008 SEL for a week now and both my wife and if have found the following.

1) Someone from Ford should put a pair of kids booster seats with back rests in the rear seats and have their 4 year olds try and buckle themselves in. The seat belt latches are almost fully inset in the seat cushions to the point the kids can't feel/find them. Even parents have to dive in and search to find them. I would guess they are designed that way for the fold down feature but it would really help to have them extend beyond the cushion 6 or so inches

2) Vision out the sides and rear. I moved from a car so there is obviously going to be a learning curve but the sight lines to the side and rear are significantly obstructed versus any of our cars or even the minivan. I am 5.8 and my wife is 5.2 and we both find side and rear vision to be a problem. Thank god the side mirrors are a decent size. My wife is refusing to back the car in to parking spaces due to this problem.

3) Sync. I need to spend several hours reading and playing with this. concept is great but for me the execution isn't working yet. pairing the Treo 700 required multiple attempts. Got it working and then the car system started showing the call as "ended" after only 2 rings on outgoing calls even though the phone is still active and the call is live. Cleared the system and will try again but some forums on the net are pointing to a TREO problem versus a sync problem. My other issue is likely a simple one to fix by reading the book but....

I assumed that the "other" media device funtion would allow me to simply plug and play my mp3 player. Connection works but I cant' get it to play.

I like the car and really believe you are getting a ton of value for your buck. Lots of pep and the quality seems to be there but we will see what happens after 2 - 3 years of use. Based on past experience I used to preach all the old joke acronyms for FORD but right now this might change my opinion.

I don't mean to crash this thread but I've been monitoring several websites on behalf of Ford and participating when I can. I appreciate reading the suggestions and I've forwarded this link to the proper departments for review. I did want to add a comment about SYNC. We've been constantly working to update SYNC's cellphone compatibility list and we encourage SYNC owners to visit syncmyride.com and select "Phones" for detailed information. Also, you can select "Contact us" to share your comments, questions and concerns particularly about compatibility issues. Or you can call our Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673 (FORD).

The voice command system for your personal music player only works when the player is plugged into the USB port. Also, if you are using the auxiliary input jack, you need to select "line in" to hear the sound through the stereo but the voice commands will not work. Finally, currently only one of the inputs either line-in or USB can be in use at the same time.

Again, thank you for purchasing the Edge. If you have any additional suggestions you would like share with Ford, please visit www.ford.com.