2013 limited awd mileage sucks

binki

I have a 2012 Edge limited with the V6 engine. It has ~8500 miles on it. I have never reset the second trip meter on it and for the lifetime of the vehicle, it is getting just under 15 mpg. That's when I'm babying it. When not, I get about 14 mpg. To me, this is horrible gas mileage. I see others getting 20 mpg plus with this car/engine combination. I mentioned the bad gas mileage at the dealership and they said that the mileage listed on the sticker was under controlled conditions. I understand that they do tests in the best conditions/driving methods to get the maximum mpg for the sticker, but I shouldn't be getting this bad of gas mileage, especially when I have tried very hard not to be heavy footed. Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do? I'm very frustrated with the gas mileage of the car.

Yikes! You are right that is terrible mpg's. I was thinking of buying a new Edge however I have done a lot of research on the internet as well as speaking to owners and the same statement is repeated over and over. "If you are looking for fuel economy look elsewhere. They are brutal on fuel." Just came back from a 650 mile return trip with brother-in-law who has a 2013 Edge SEL AWD. We averaged 24 mpg (figured manually). That was with four adults and luggage in the vehicle and cruise set for 70 mph.

Made this same trip in the Spring with my 2010 Santa Fe V6 under same conditions and we averaged 32 mpg. That 8 mpg is a significant difference. However in the defense of the Edge it is a much better ride and comfort experience. But is does come with a cost and it is one that I am not prepared to pay. He has also had trouble with MFT which seems to be predominant in all of Ford's vehicles. Personally I think the new SFS or Kia Sorento is a better bang for the buck.

The mileage in my Edge (FWD) has been very consistent and predictable. If I'm driving my normal surface street commute, it's generally around 20 MPG +/- 1 MPG depending on whether traffic has been generally heavy or light. I've only had one tank that has gone below the 19 MPG city sticker rating. If I add in extra freeway miles, it quickly jumps up towards the 24 MPG range. I haven't done any long road trips with my Edge because I have limited lease miles, but I could easily see approaching the 27 MPG highway rating. That said, I'm planning on going hybrid for my next car since my driving is city heavy and I rarely need the full capacity of the Edge.

We are still thinking about buying our first edge. It does concern me that the MPG is not close to the sticker MPG I see on the windows at the dealership.

Ā 

Dyno, we've had our 2012 Edge for over two full years now. IMHO, bottom line wrt MPG is you can't fight physics. Our FWD with 18" wheels weighs hundreds of pounds less (like 400ish?) than an AWD with 20s. I can't speak for AWD vehicles not meeting their EPA numbers, but we consistently hit our 20/27 numbers.

Ā 

On a side note, DIY maintenance has been a breeze. I just finished a 30,000-mile maintenance today (my schedule) and it was easier than all my previous vehicles. Did a drain/fill twice (with a week between each drain) on coolant and ATF (to get to roughly 75% fresh), drained/filled power steering reservoir (easy to do with coolant tank removed), and did a two-year brake fluid flush the hard way (jack a single wheel, add jack stand for insurance, remove wheel, open bleeder blah blah blah), rinse and repeat 4x. Oil changes are an easy DIY as well. Relatively cheap insurance at 30,000 miles....and ready for the next 30k. Just my $0.02 FWIW....

I have a 2013 SEL with 20" wheels (Appearance Pkg). I had the Edge special ordered and have 20,000 mi. on it. I have the original build sheet and window sticker in front of me and it distincly says "City...11.1 l/100 km / 25. mi/gal and Highway...7.2 l/100km / 39 mi/gal. I have religously kept track of my mi/gal and the best I have ever recorded is 27.3 mi/gal. that was with a full tank, no weight in the edge on a trip form Cocoa Beach, Fl. to Marco Island, Fl. All straight and flat roads. This is not even close to the estimate of 39 mi/gal, I went back to Ford and complained about the mileage discrepency and all they said was to keep your receipt for three fill ups and record your mileage, bring it to us and we will send it to Ford for evaluation, What a crock of B.S. No help at all. They advertise all these great attributes that come with the car and fantastic gas mileage, wait till you get around 15,000 miles on the car and the mileage will improve, yes, I will admit it did improve but not even close to the advertised 39 mi/gal. I love the Edge but I hate the gas mileage. Talk about false advertising. I wish someone could sue their sorry ass off for false advertising. Sorry for venting, but it just seems like you have bought a brand new vehicle and now you can't do anything about it.

Those advert numbers seem quite on the high side for a vehicle this size. In the U.S., the rating is 19/27 for FWD SEL 3.5. Do you have the 2L EB FWD SEL version in Canada??? Plus, I think in Canada, they use imperial gallons, so the rating in the U.S. would be closer to 21/33.

Ā 

EDIT: I looked up Ford.ca for info on the 2013 Edge, this is what they show (attachment, page 10). Need to look into Transport Canada's ratings system to see how this was achieved. Seems plain WRONG. Is there an option to change your display from US gallons/mpg to Canadian gallons/mpg?

Ā 

Fuel Economy and Engine Highlights Powertrain SE/SEL/Limited Available Powertrain SE/SEL/Limited Powertrain Sport Engine Type 3.5L Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) V6 2.0L EcoBoostĀ® I-4 Turbocharged, Direct-Injection 3.7L Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) V6 Fuel Economy
*Fuel consumption ratings based on Transport Canada approved test methods. Actual fuel consumption will vary. FWD: 11.1L/100 km city and 7.2L/100 km hwy (25 mpg city/39 hwy) 9.9L/100 km city and 6.6L/100 km hwy (29 mpg city/43 hwy) 12.1L/100 km city and 8.7L/100 km hwy (23 mpg city/32 hwy) AWD: 11.8/100 km city and 7.8L/100 km hwy (24 mpg city/36 hwy)
(Opt. - SEL & Limited) - See more at: http://www.ford.ca/crossovers/edge/specifications/#sthash.3KcO0KB5.dpuf

Ford Canada 2013 Edge Brochure.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

In Canada the MPG numbers are calculated using imperial (UK) gallons, not US gallons. 39mpg with imperial gallons is actually 32mpg with US gallons. The trip computer in the Edge uses US gallons, so the Canadian MPG advertised numbers are meaningless, you need to compare to the metric numbers L/100km.

I love the Edge but I hate the gas mileage. Talk about false advertising. I wish someone could sue their sorry ass off for false advertising. Sorry for venting, but it just seems like you have bought a brand new vehicle and now you can't do anything about it.

Ā 

Ā 

Itā€™s important to understand where that Highway MPG rating came from. I'm not an expert but will explain it as I understand things. First, I canā€™t speak for Canada but in the U.S. the rating comes from an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) test (driving) profile that Ford and all the other auto manufacturers must follow. That profile is described at this website: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Ā 

Using the Highway test as an example you can see that the profile distance is 10.26 miles. The average speed over that profile was a not so blazing 48.3 Miles per Hour. The peak speed reached was only 60 MPH. As Ford and all the other auto manufacturers need to get the highest fleet average MPG possible, it behooves them to tune or otherwise optimize their vehicle for the driving profile. So, in the real world you should see your best Highway gas mileage at 48 MPH or so. Once you start going above that youā€™re likely starting to descend the curve on fuel efficiency. The faster you go, the more inefficient the vehicle. If you were driving at 70 MPH on that highway in Florida, you are way past your peak efficiency point, and far below the top highway rating.

Ā 

Your beef then is really not with Ford which is rating the vehicle in the manner in which they are legally required to do so. The problem in my opinion is with the test agencies that establish those test profiles that donā€™t seem to have any relation to the real world. On the positive side, since all the autos are tested to the same profile, itā€™s easy to compare ā€˜apples to applesā€™ when you are comparing two similar vehicles from two different manufacturers.

Ā 

I have probably oversimplified the explanation on the testing, but my point is that what you, I and everyone else considers to be ā€˜highway speedā€™ seems to have little resemblance to what the government agency that controls the test considers it to be. Thus, we find ourselves greatly disappointed.

Edited by Gimp

Thanks for the explanation. my Edge SEL is all stock except for the 20" wheels. I can change my odometer to metric or sae. I had it on standard when I posted the 27.3 mp/gal. so I thought it would calculate it per the U.S gallon. Maybe I'm not getting that bad a fuel mileage after all. This outta make the wife happy because she is hell bent on getting rid of it, not me. I really like the Edge. Great touring machine, especially with the panoramic roof.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...lifetime average of my 2013 sport is 16mpg (stats link), mostly on highways with a speed limit of 120km/h, average from 61 refuels. Max mpg seen - 19, min: 12.5...

Ā 

(by the way - whoever equipped this car with 60 liter fuel tank must have had troubled childhood, but on the other hand - the same joke is with Shelby ;P )

I assume your AC is running all the time, that and your radiator fans, arabski? Does the Sport come with an upgraded engine cooling package (like a towing package here in the US) to handle the higher ambients?

Ā 

And yes, a 15 gallon tank IS a joke with those mpgs for sure. Now if your avg was 20+, not TOO bad :)

Ā 

A lower temp thermostat MAY help, people here in hot climates claim the engine runs cooler. Also, a tune that accomodates your particular conditions could help max your mpgs.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I believe under "normal" conditions you can see 20+, but not in the middle east, where often you just leave your car running for hours when shopping (to avoid skin burns after you come back with your shopping cart). Also daily border crossing doesnt really help - 2-3 hours a day in a permanent jam in full sun and +120F outside. FJ cruisers in same conditions average 11-12 mpg, and if I decided to get a land cruiser, I would most likely never seen anything more than 10mpg ;-) (but land cruiser has 30+ gallon tank)

Ā 

bottom line - if somebody's awd edge makes only little more than 16mpg, I would call it normal and stop looking for any problems. If you want more fuel efficiency, get a smaller car with downsized engine, is all...

:headscratch: Isn't the AWD fuel tank somewhere around 18 gallons? I just put 17 in mine this morning. Or do they put a smaller one in the export models for some reason? That makes no sense.

Ā 

For what it's worth, my '11 Sport AWD usually averages close to 21 mpg in mixed driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Middle East Edge/MKX have the towing package and/or additional cooling or what Ford calls "high ambient, high speed package". And the fuel tank is 70 litres, it seems that Arabski refuels immediately after getting the low fuel warning.

my bad, it is actually more than 60l - looking at my fuel history, the max I've every put in it was 65l... yet still I think the size is a joke :P

Ā 

what is the "towing package" ? Sport does not even have a hook mount (rear bumper is different)

my bad, it is actually more than 60l - looking at my fuel history, the max I've every put in it was 65l... yet still I think the size is a joke :P

Ā 

what is the "towing package" ? Sport does not even have a hook mount (rear bumper is different)

This is what it incudes:

post-24673-0-92528400-1407244686_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Taken from here:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_edge_oct1.pdf

Hi All,

Ā 

I also thought the Mileage would be better than I get ( I fell for the commercials) lol

That said, I put on a K and N CIA the first week I got the new 2013 AWD SEL

Ā 

Just back from 2 long trips and lots of city driving I have already put on 3100 Miles in 3 weeks.

The highway miles included 2 mountain ranges and LOTS of heavy footed passing and AC on all the time.

Ā 

To date I have been averaging 21-23 mpg. Not quite as advertised but will be well worth it once Winter hits the Great White North.

• 1 month later...

WOW.. I am sure glad that I didn't get the AWD Limited.

Ā 

Now, I will admit that I can live with the A/C turned off for most of the time. I also have this reflector that you put in your window when you leave the car so that the seats don't cook while you are gone shopping. But then again, I live just outside of Toronto in a nice city that believes in installing as many traffic lights as possible and timing them so if you drive the speed limit, you will always get the red light (Yea, a red light district)

Ā 

But around town even given the constant stop start, ass-wipe who cuts you off for trying to somewhat time the lights so you are at least rolling for the next green light, I still manage to get between 18-19mpg

Ā 

Get me onto the highway and I can easily get up around the 26-28mpg driving around the 65mph. So my 2013 FWD SEL sure sounds like a better deal.. or maybe it's just that I am driving less aggressively, allowing the car a bit more time to reach speed. I found that really helped keep the fuel costs down for me.