NEW Photos & Movie Trailer - EDGE-2 Next GEN Daytime Running Lights

I used the 93 spot for the fuse box tap.........I thought this also(about the relay) until I noticed with the keys out and headlights on, the drl 70% was still lit up. So I swapped the white wire from the headlight circuit to the parking light circuit and it worked like I wanted.

I used a small spade connector on the white wire and inserted it into the positive side of the factory pipe light plug, for this install. You can use the parking light wire on the plug you tap into for turn signal also.....pass side and drivers side = yellow with blue stripe(center wire in plug).

Thanks for posting this, it sounds like the way I'd like to have mine behave as well.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you (or anyone else for that matter) create an idiots guide to hooking the lights up the proper way to keep the DRLs working as a courtesy light?

I thought I had some time to spare as I am in Toronto Canada, but I see my parcel is here in town awaiting customs clearance. I should have my lights by Wednesday or Friday at the latest, I'd love to install them this weekend if I can get some needed direction.

I'm excited to install my DRL, puddle lights and interior LED kit.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you (or anyone else for that matter) create an idiots guide to hooking the lights up the proper way to keep the DRLs working as a courtesy light?

I concur, I definitely don't want to lose the courtesy function of the oem lights by installing these. Dan, would you mind putting together a write up so we can maintain the stock functionality? I'm definitely going to wait to install mine until this is ironed out.

Also, are the lights supposed to be 100% when the parking lights are on? I thought they were supposed to dim to 70% but from reading these posts it seems that 70% is wrong.

Thanks,

-Russ

I'd like an explanation of when the lights are supposed to be on and off and when they are supposed to be at 70% or 100% (kind of like how you wrote the sequence for your 1st gens; depending on headlight switch position and door open or closed),

Could you differentiate the above information when wiring white wire to headlight and white white to parking lamp?

This would let us choose what lighting option we want (an added benefit!).

Here're my install notes, in no particular order:

1. 2012 Limited, wheel-well cover doesn't just "pull aside". There are fasteners on the bottom of the bumper as well, needing one hand to hold the guard away/open while you work inside installing lights, wires, etc.

2. I'm not a good wire-wrapper. I wish the negative terminal wire was longer. I hope those wires can withstand some hot temps, 'cause I'm sure there are some resting against some hoses that get very hot.

3. The wire-crimp/clamps provided are verrrrry cheap and not very effective. I had some others on-hand that I replaced with and this eliminated some weird behavior as well as fixed a turn-signal not working. Do yourself a favor and go get some from home depot or radio shack or wherever.

4. One major issue (that I resolved), the RH light set's power plug didn't seem to fit very well. After all was installed, that side didn't light up. I checked the output from the plug and there was no juice. However, on the back-side, it was getting 10-14V. So I took apart the yellow insert and the connectors had pushed back against the backside of the housing ... this was due to the light's power-prongs not being aligned with the power plug and when I inserted it, it got messed up and kinda came apart. After re-seating the power pins and straightening out the power-prongs, I plugged it in and it worked.

5. You'll probably need more zip-ties than are provided.

6. As far as I can tell, lights are 100% when "off" and "parking", and 70% when lights are "on" or "Auto".

7. I don't have the courtesy light setup mentioned above, just the standard install. Doesn't bother me. BUT - if I can simply switch both black wires to a different set on the parking light cluster, I probably will.

8. Overall it probably took me 2 hours due to install problems and re-doing some crimping and re-seating the power-housing, along with the troubleshooting that goes along with that.

Anyone have the color-combo for L and R parking lights that allow courtesy lighting?

Overall, I'm pleased with the new lights and I'm happy with the quality of the setup. I think for a first-pass product (or is this 2nd?) it's very nice.

On my 2013 the wire I used for the courtesy lights to work was yellow with a blue stripe both sides but that is the wires going to the factory pipe lights,If you dont have the courtesy light set up I dont think you can do this,When you lock or unlock or open a door do any of your lights come on?If so then you need to tap into one of those wires,so if your parking lights come on when locking or unlocking the doors then you need to tap into the parking light wire going to the turn/parking lights. As far as the wheel well cover the way Dan has it no the cover wont come out if you take out the 3 screws it gives you plenty of room to get in there and change the light out for new lights and wire it all up,I have big hands and I had NO problem at all getting in there and doing the work, I did a very nice job at wrapping up all the wires and I DIDNT even use all the ties in my kit,and I had NO problem with the wire connecters that were in my kit,in fact they were better then the ones I already had. Now if you do hook up the new DRL's to work with the courtesy lights they will only be at 70 percent working with the courtesy lights,and also at 70 percent with the parking lights on,but they still work at 100 percent when all lights are off. I also had a hard time plugging the drivers side DRL in,had to take the light back out and then plug it in,still took a little work but was easier.For courtesy light set up you can do either one of these hook ups,Hook the white wire to the positive wire of the factory pipe light or the yellow with blue stripe wire going to the factory light pipes.

Edited by tazmanken
  • Like 1

I concur, I definitely don't want to lose the courtesy function of the oem lights by installing these. Dan, would you mind putting together a write up so we can maintain the stock functionality? I'm definitely going to wait to install mine until this is ironed out.

Also, are the lights supposed to be 100% when the parking lights are on? I thought they were supposed to dim to 70% but from reading these posts it seems that 70% is wrong.

Thanks,

-Russ

.For courtesy light set up you can do either one of these hook ups,Hook the white wire to the positive wire of the factory pipe light or the yellow with blue stripe wire going to the factory light pipes. Now when you hook the lights up like this while the parking or headlights lights are on the DRL's will be at 70 percent also at 70 percent when you open a door or lock and unlock doors,with parking and headlights off the DRL's will be at 100 percent. Hope all this helps,if you cant figure it out Ill give you my cell number and talk you through it, this goes for anyone that needs help. Ken

Ok so it seems that this is only selecting where the units draw their signal from and the actual power comes from the harness. So we should just be able to connect them to the existing pipe's power. Seems like a simple enough solution. I'd rather have them function as the courtesy lights @ 70% then not at all.

Thanks for the info!!

-Russ

Just found out my lights will be here tomorrow, they tried to deliver to my house instead of my work, oh well glad to get them so quickly regardless.

I have another question though. My Edge has factory HID installed, and being in Canada that means DRL are law here. Therefore my front amber turn signals are my DRL. Will this affect my install to keep the new DRL bumper light working with the courtesy lights?

I looked at Dan's website and youtube channel, but there has been no update with install instructions.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Installed my lights yesterday and noticed something weird, when I turn on my lights without the car started only the drivers side strip will light up, not the passenger. when the car is started they both light up fine. Also when i lock or unlock the doors with the car off I do get both amber lights lit up. The only reason I noticed the passenger side not lighting up is I was trying to troubleshoot an issue with my HID's. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me.

i Had The Same Issue, My HidS Do The Same. I Don't Believe Its An Issue with The Drls, Its A Factory Problem That we Don't Get Enough power To Fire TheM. I Was trouble shooting My HiDs For The Issue A Few Months Ago, At first I Thought It Was The Auto seTting. But I Would Just Set My HiDs To On Before Starting The Edge And Then Start It And Would Have The Same Problem

For the love of god, those shaped "u" clips won't come off.....I did see the video of how Dan just pulls them off with a punch... But these clips must be on steroids..I have the edge se version so they come with a black fake drl so there is no space between the "u" clips. And the black plastic from the fake drl's.... I'm thinking of putting some grease on the sides of the "u" clips... To remove them......Has anyone had a hard time removing the clips, I pulled super hard but don't want to break the holder.. Any ideas?..

For the love of god, those shaped "u" clips won't come off.....I did see the video of how Dan just pulls them off with a punch... But these clips must be on steroids..I have the edge se version so they come with a black fake drl so there is no space between the "u" clips. And the black plastic from the fake drl's.... I'm thinking of putting some grease on the sides of the "u" clips... To remove them......Has anyone had a hard time removing the clips, I pulled super hard but don't want to break the holder.. Any ideas?..

I had a little bit of trouble too. There are little spikes in the u clip that dig into the plastic when u pull them. The trick is like Dan showed in the video get a flathead and get between the u clip spikes and the plastic and they will pop right off. I tired a few different sized flat heads till I found one that worked well.

• Like 1

I had a little bit of trouble too. There are little spikes in the u clip that dig into the plastic when u pull them. The trick is like Dan showed in the video get a flathead and get between the u clip spikes and the plastic and they will pop right off. I tired a few different sized flat heads till I found one that worked well.

Can anyone take a close up of the "u" clip I have a feeling that mine's look different. I will buy a different size flat head screw drivers and try again tomorrow... I bought at harbor freight wire tubing so the heat does not mess with the wires and it looks really nice and clean will take pics tomorrow

Installed my lights yesterday and noticed something weird, when I turn on my lights without the car started only the drivers side strip will light up, not the passenger. when the car is started they both light up fine. Also when i lock or unlock the doors with the car off I do get both amber lights lit up. The only reason I noticed the passenger side not lighting up is I was trying to troubleshoot an issue with my HID's. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me.

I have this same problem with mine however it is on the opposite side. Tomorrow I am going to purchase better built wire taps and see if that remedies the issue.

I do not have this problem but I do not have HID's and I also do not have my new DRL's hooked up the way the instructions tell you,I hooked the white wire from the new drl's to the yellow with blue stripe wire from the factory pipe lights harness both sides,this way my new drl's work with the courtesy function,and yes my turn signals in the new drl's light up momentarily when I lock or unlock the doors.

Just a note, same as the switchbacks the amber lights ignite when the doors unlock and then switch to white a second or so after dimming. Seems that is if these DRL's are wired into the turn signals then they will function just as the switchback's do.

Edited by RustyEdge

I know this might sound dumb but pull harder,they are really hard to get off,I had to take mine off twice on the driver side and pulled so hard I thought it broke but it was fine.I used a flat tip screw driver and if you look at the clip it flares out just a little on the end,stick the screw driver in there and pull really hard,the clip might fly off but it cant go far,my clips were really hard and did fly off just like the one did in Dans video. There is no space between u clips with the factory pipes lights either,like I said if you look at the u clip it flares out just a little on the end stick the flat tip there and start pulling,the screw driver might slip off a few times but you will get the clip off,keep trying its not easy.

• Like 1

Regarding the u-clips...I used a screwdriver as a lever (I hope what I'm describing makes sense) by placing the (longish) screwdriver behind the u-clip (in front of the light) against the front bumper and placing the long portion of the screwdriver rod inside the u-clip between one edge and the plastic of the light housing and prying the clip off that way. Usually it forced the clip away and up from the housing and then I was able to get under it with my fingers and pry it off.

Also - regarding erratic light behavior, I also was experiencing similar issues with the supplied crimps. I feel they don't make positive contact into the skin of the wires 100% of the time, and depending on how you apply pressure to the crimp plate, you may not bite into the wire enough.

When I used the crimps I had onhand (similar concept but beefier) and made sure I applied heavy pressure to the crimp plate with the pliers before securing the cross-over plastic cap, all the erratic behavior went away.

Regarding the u-clips...I used a screwdriver as a lever (I hope what I'm describing makes sense) by placing the (longish) screwdriver behind the u-clip (in front of the light) against the front bumper and placing the long portion of the screwdriver rod inside the u-clip between one edge and the plastic of the light housing and prying the clip off that way. Usually it forced the clip away and up from the housing and then I was able to get under it with my fingers and pry it off.

Yes that is how I did it and it works,still a little hard to get off but it will come off.

Just found out my lights will be here tomorrow, they tried to deliver to my house instead of my work, oh well glad to get them so quickly regardless.

I have another question though. My Edge has factory HID installed, and being in Canada that means DRL are law here. Therefore my front amber turn signals are my DRL. Will this affect my install to keep the new DRL bumper light working with the courtesy lights?

I looked at Dan's website and youtube channel, but there has been no update with install instructions.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Edited by tazmanken
  • Like 1

I was thinking and I think you should be able to tap into the marker lights with both white and black wires from the new drl's to the marker lights on your edge that are your drl's now.So hook the black wire from the new drl's up just like the instructions tell you but hook the white wire from new drl's to the factory marker light,on my US model it is the yellow/blue wire.I think this will work for you and the new drl's should work with the courtesy function.Let me know if you try this and if it works. Ken

Thanks for the reply. I just picked my lights up from the post office, I hope to try and install them tonight. If not I'll have to wait till next week as I am away this weekend.

Thanks again for your help, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. I just picked my lights up from the post office, I hope to try and install them tonight. If not I'll have to wait till next week as I am away this weekend.

Thanks again for your help, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Hey Jmacd27,

Did your tracking info on canadapost.ca or usps update after it got to Missusauga sort facility? Because my Edge-2's seem to be stuck there for the past 2 days now. also do you have your parking lights/turn signals as your current DRLS?? if so won't the turn signals in the Edge-2's be on all the time when the factory DRL's are on (parking lights on full power when DRL's are on).

What am I doing wrong? My driver side is giving me problems.

When lights are on, the passenger side is at 70% power white. The driver side is dimly lit amber.

When car is on, passenger side is 100% pwr white, driver side is dim amber.

When the hazards are on, passenger is 100% power amber flash, driver side is dim amber flash.

Any suggestions?

Pics of driver side connections:

driver2

driver3

Edited by graniteguy