NEW Photos & Movie Trailer - EDGE-2 Next GEN Daytime Running Lights

So this isn't a problem associated with the Edge 2 lights??

Like others said it isn't a compatability or other issue with the DRL's. Maybe if the lights were installed via the manufacturer's instructions (i.e. white wire hooked into the headlight power) there might be something wrong with their splice causing intermittent problems with power/signal to the HID's?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Sorry About ThE Capitalizing, ITs The Stupid Android Update That They Haven't Fixed. Cycling Off does Not Fix It, I Have The canbus Set Up From Morimoto That They Told Me To Get When I Told TheM What I Had. I Tried To Order The Regular Set Up With A Harness And They Said To Do Canbus Instead.

It's Weird To Me That The problem Only came Up After The Drl install, I Figured It Was A PoWer Draw Problem Since People Report Some ProblemS With Just Hids Firing When Set On Auto OR Headlights Are Already On When You Start The Edge. But This Has Gone To A whole New Level.

So I just came from an IDS session with my dealer and the news is not good. The light pipes are not available as a DRL option in the exterior lighting menu.

Something odd going on though. I have a 2013 SEL. I had my DRL function changed from the headlights to the turn signals a few months ago. The option to go back to headlights ISN'T available anymore so something in the software changed when I had my lights reprogrammed. Dealer said I may have to have the entire default programming dumped back in.

So now my only option for amber turn signal activation on the EDGE2 is to tie into the rear turn signals because my front ones are on as DRL.

I am curious if another 2013 SEL owner with headlight DRL's would have lightpipes in their menu? Maybe it's available until you change it??????

Booooooo.

That is so weird Norm. I don't understand why there was options before and none now. As you know my dealer changed my factory DRL from my ambers to "off" in order to hook up my new lights properly. I wonder if any of my options for the DRL settings have disappeared as well. Maybe the dealer did something on the first visit to cause this.

There was an option for off but that would mean I would have to use the wire harness for power (and not sure dealer would turn them off anyway).

I wouldn't even care if the turn signals and light pipes were on as DRL at the same time. Not sure what I am going to do. Really don't want to start digging around on the main wiring bundle under the dash for turn signals.

Hey Dan, make the EDGE3 have a sensing circuit in the amber section that turns them off if they are on for more than one second. This way, any vehicle with turn signal DRL could still connect them for amber activation. When turn signal DRL's come on, the amber on the edge2 would come on for a second then shut off. They would to still have to respond to turn signal voltage. A drop in voltage would reset the off timer and they would flash in sync with the front turns.. When signal light is shut off, edge2 would be amber for 1 second then shut off.

So now my only option for amber turn signal activation on the EDGE2 is to tie into the rear turn signals because my front ones are on as DRL.

Just thinking out lout here, but wouldn't the DRL's pull power from the turn signal wire that delivers power only when the signals are on? So wouldn't a factory turn signal DRL pull power from the constant wire and not the alternating power used for the actual blinker?

If so then connecting the EDGE2 DRL's to the same intended turn signal wire that delivers power only when the blinkers are activated as opposed to a constant power shouldn't be a problem. If my theory is correct there is no need to tie into the rear turn signals, unless I'm totally missing something which is a definite possibility ;)

I installed my set of the EDGE-2 DRLs this morning. Took about 1.5 hours, not really difficult at all. Only change I made was to hook the white wire to the turn-signal's center wire(yellow w/blue stripe) to allow for %70 power with parking lights on, and to retain the courtesy light functions. They work great!

Gene

Great to hear your install went well and you're liking your new lights. Glad you like the parking light wiring configuration.

FYI, For those that may not know, it is perfectly fine to attach the white DRL trigger wire to the center parking light wire.

Edge SE owners:

I started a new thread in Classifieds specifically for the SE. My objective is to inform Edge SE owners that my EDGE-2 kits are totally compatible with the SE and that my DRLs do not need the OEM factory wiring to work. Our kit includes a wire harness and controller along with everything else needed to install and operate them.

Link to Thread: Edge SE Owners, You can have LED DAYTIME Running Lights on your SE

Edge SE black plastic bumper insert vs. EDGE-2 LED DRLs:

4by4-Final_zps1ad97e56.jpg

3by3vertical-Final_zps3a08380e.jpg

Any luck on coming to a solution on getting the following items enabled on a Edge with DRLs in the Turn Signal lights? The challenges listed:

1. Retain courtesy light function when unlocking car.

2. 100% DRL with lights on auto, Turn DRLs on

3. 70% when headlights on

4. Amber LEDs light with turn signal only.

I think i just need clarification what the black and white cable control. For now I've installed them just to the factory harness and waterproofed and electrically isolated the black and white leads, while not installing the relay just yet. The brightness in just this config is nice, but I would like to have the turn signals working too

I'm not sure if this is an issue I had before installing the DRL2's because I never used my headlights prior to the installation but now I'm having and issue with one of my headlights "shutter" won't open and allow light through. Anyone else experience this? I did disconnect the DRL2's and the headlight is still performing this way.

Any luck on coming to a solution on getting the following items enabled on a Edge with DRLs in the Turn Signal lights? The challenges listed:

1. Retain courtesy light function when unlocking car.

2. 100% DRL with lights on auto, Turn DRLs on

3. 70% when headlights on

4. Amber LEDs light with turn signal only.

I think i just need clarification what the black and white cable control. For now I've installed them just to the factory harness and waterproofed and electrically isolated the black and white leads, while not installing the relay just yet. The brightness in just this config is nice, but I would like to have the turn signals working too

What you're asking is not possible unless you connect the black wire to the rear turn signals as has been suggested. The black wire causes the amber LEDs to turn on (and the white ones to turn off) whenever it has power applied. If you connect the black wire to the front lamps with DRLs enabled, you will get only amber LEDs on in the EDGE 2 lights whenever the DRLs are on (as well as flashing with the turn signals). The only time you would see the white LEDs would be with the headlights on (i.e. DRLs are off) or when the ignition is off (again, because the DRLs are off).

As posted before, when power is applied to the white wire, the white LEDs turn on at 70% brightness. When power is applied to the black wire, the amber LEDs turn on and the white LEDs turn off regardless of whether the white wire (or the red wire in the main harness) is powered or not.

I'm not sure if this is an issue I had before installing the DRL2's because I never used my headlights prior to the installation but now I'm having and issue with one of my headlights "shutter" won't open and allow light through. Anyone else experience this? I did disconnect the DRL2's and the headlight is still performing this way.

Do you mean that you don't get high beam on one side? The shutter in the headlight projector lens is what switches the beam pattern from low beam to high beam (it moves out of the way when you switch to high beam).

The high beam power wire (when power is applied, the shutter moves out of the way) is gray/brown on the left side and purple/orange on the right side. Check that you didn't damage those wires during EDGE 2 installation. Those wires are controlled by solid state circuitry in the Body Control Module (BCM) so if the wires are not damaged, you could be looking at replacing the BCM.

Do you mean that you don't get high beam on one side? The shutter in the headlight projector lens is what switches the beam pattern from low beam to high beam (it moves out of the way when you switch to high beam).

The high beam power wire (when power is applied, the shutter moves out of the way) is gray/brown on the left side and purple/orange on the right side. Check that you didn't damage those wires during EDGE 2 installation. Those wires are controlled by solid state circuitry in the Body Control Module (BCM) so if the wires are not damaged, you could be looking at replacing the BCM.

I can't get a solid beam out of the low beam or high beam. I took it to a Ford Service Dept and they said it was the shutter not operating correctly but obviously the shutter only operates on the high beam. I'm beginning to wonder if it is the physical light. At this point, I'm lost. It only has 1,700 miles on it so they're covering it

Edited by jtudor

Jtuder, I'm not sure how the the DRL installation would have affected the high beam shutter, since the white headlight trigger wire from my DRLs connects to the headlight bulb wire which is totally isolated from the the shutter operation. Can you confirm that the white DRL trigger wire is connected to the correct wire color per the instructions?

Edit: Just read your last post about your dealer fixing the broken shutter. Glad to hear that. I have to think the shutter issue was coincidental to installing the DRLs.

Edited by kc300c