Just got my DRL activated at the dealership!

Just an FYI, Witt Lincoln in San Diego can activate your DRL by changing a setting in your cars computer. I just had this done and it took them less them 5 minutes to activate them. We have a 2011 Edge and the DLR's are the orange turn signal bulbs on that year. He said on the 2013's he can change them to the LED strips down below. At the same time my cusins brought their 2013 Fusion and he turned on their DRL's. On the 2013 Fusion the DRL's are a lower voltage headlight.

They charge $59 to activate the DRL's.

Witt Lincoln

San Diego

619-358-5000

Ask for Alan Rains in service.

Just an FYI, Witt Lincoln in San Diego can activate your DRL by changing a setting in your cars computer. I just had this done and it took them less them 5 minutes to activate them. We have a 2011 Edge and the DLR's are the orange turn signal bulbs on that year. He said on the 2013's he can change them to the LED strips down below. At the same time my cusins brought their 2013 Fusion and he turned on their DRL's. On the 2013 Fusion the DRL's are a lower voltage headlight.

They charge $59 to activate the DRL's.

Witt Lincoln

San Diego

619-358-5000

Ask for Alan Rains in service.

3 forums - 3 different IDs? NIKAL? Cobra05? cobra71?

Do you work for Witt Lincoln?

• Like 1

OP could just be really excited about the possibility of activation and wanted to share the wealth :)

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53886-daytime-running-lights-activated/

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/10054-daytime-running-lights-activated/

Agreed that 3 forums & 3 handles are a bit much, but I too have different names on different forums (well, only 2 different names spread over many forums).

I'd give the benefit of the doubt...

Sorry guys I only go by NIKAL. Like I said in my OP my wifes cusin brought his new 2013 Fusion down at the same time, as I set both our appoointments up togther. I know he was just as happy as I was to get these turned on, since every other Ford dealer we spoke to said it was not possible. Also a year or two back when I first signed up for this forum people were saying the dealers could not alter the programs, so that I why I posted it on here.

I guess "Cobra" is my wifes cusin as he is talking about his Fusion. Funny is I had no idea he had a screen name on the forums. I'm not a member of the Blue Oval forums.

BTW what promted this whole discussion with Witt Lincoln is we had just special ordered a new "Loaded" MKZ for my grandfather. The main requirement was the car had to have DRL or we would not buy it. We would get him the new Cadillac XTS, as all GM cars have DRL. (Where we live there is a Hwy where Daytime headlights are required to be turned on or you can get a ticket.) It took a few call's to Lincoln's Corp office to get the Special order # for the DRL. In the meantime one of the dealer tech's was playing around with the cars functions and found away via his lap top to reprogram the DRL. So I asked if he could do my wifes Edge? They said bring it down and we will try it. At that point I told my cusin to bring his new Fusion and see if they could program it too, since the Fusion & MKZ are based on the same platform. BTW the MKZ has a row of LED's in the lower fog light that act as the DRL, where the Fusion's headlights are power reduced. The 2011 Edge used the Orange turn signal lights. The tech thought the new 2013 Edge's could have the LED strips in the bumper programed to act as DRL.

Edited by NIKAL

It would be nice if Witt Lincoln could/would enlighten some of the dealerships around me that my 2013 DRL's could be turned on. Wonder if you could ask them for the pertinent information (what settings to use, how to use them, ect) and they could be posted here.

I could copy the information as could other owners to take to our local dealerships. It would be nice to get the DRL's turned on. I know I could add the modified DRL's one of the members is selling and that might be the only other alternative at this time.

• 1 month later...

<snip> We have a 2011 Edge and the DLR's are the orange turn signal bulbs on that year. He said on the 2013's he can change them to the LED strips down below.

<snip 2> The 2011 Edge used the Orange turn signal lights. The tech thought the new 2013 Edge's could have the LED strips in the bumper programed to act as DRL.

I stopped by my local Ford Dealer this afternoon to have the DRL option looked at. I have a 2013 Ford Edge with HID headlamps. The IDS only had the DRL option of the orange turn signal lights for my configuration. There was not an option for the LED strips/bars on the lower front bumper that we could see.

NIKAL, was the tech able to locate that option for 2013 Edge's?

Thanks, Gene.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by my local Ford Dealer this afternoon to have the DRL option looked at. I have a 2013 Ford Edge with HID headlamps. The IDS only had the DRL option of the orange turn signal lights for my configuration. There was not an option for the LED strips/bars on the lower front bumper that we could see.

NIKAL, was the tech able to locate that option for 2013 Edge's?

Thanks, Gene.

There is no option to make the Bumper Light act as DRL for 2013, i have 2013 Edge and i have enable the DRL option through VCM-II / IDS.

The only available option is the "Front turn signal / Parking Light" to act as DRL.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is considering installing Daytime Brightlites LED DRL EDGE2 lights in the future, I wouldn't recommend having your DRL activated at the dealer. This would make your turn signal (bright portion) of the lamp on all the time during the day.

In order to have the EDGE2 turn signal switchback work, you need to tie into the front turn signal.

From what I can tell sagid.ali is correct. I took my car to Witt Lincoln and Alan Raines as well, who's a cool guy, both he and I looked at the VCM on his laptop and there was no option for the "light pipes" for DRLs on my 2013 Edge Sport. It's a GUI menu and In the Body Control Module it even mentions European rear DRLs which are required for fog lights in the rear. Strange to me those lights are there and Ford decided they look better turned off most of the time.

Edited by OnTheFence

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, another option would have been not to get "ricer" 8000K HIDs. Factory HIDs are 4100-4300K and aftermarket are available in 5000K pure white as well as 6000K "crystal" or "ice" white. 8000K is tending way too much towards the blue end of the spectrum to be truly effective lighting - they'll look bright because the human eye interprets blue as glare.

• Like 2

Actually, in Canada (or at least in Ontario), flashing blue lights are reserved for snow plows. Flashing blue lights combined with flashing red lights are sometimes used by law enforcement but more often they use red and white. Solid blue lights are permitted on the front of municipal buses.

EDIT: I just checked the Alberta laws and found some strange requirements regarding blue flashing lights... police may use them but if they do, the blue lights must be on the right side of the vehicle and the red lights on the left side.

Edited by TheWizard