Throttle Body Service or Failure

Maavalous1

I installed the new Electronic Throttle Body about 2 weeks ago and I’m happy to report all is well with our 2011 Edge. Super easy to do; all you need is an 8mm socket and 15 minutes. I took photos and will do a quick write up as soon as I get a free chance (Moms been in the hospital).

• Like 1

Even after the cleaning when I first take off and drive and many other times the shifting at the low end of take off is sluggish and hard to change gears. I was hoping the TB cleaning would help but I believe the little chip inside the TB plastic covering is the failure point for the TB and not the mechanical part of the TB. I will have to check and see with a scanner so see if I get the same results. If so then a new TB cover or TB is in order to repair this.

Seems like a transmission shift issue, but may actually be an Electronic Throttle Body issue:

Torque Pro or Forscan software can come in mighty handy here!

Not really a bump, but at low speed I do not get a shift and the throttle is very sensitive with a quick deceleration if I let off the gas and fast accelertation if I give it a little gas. Does this around city driving, but have no issues on the interstate. Although I still feel Lullubelle is dragging her..... some times. Blueberry does not behaive in this manner and runs great. When I get a chance this next week I will get it to the Auto skills center and get the computer on it. I may take it in to the dealer to have the Mykey located and found since it has disappeared and no one seems to know why or where it went.

Edited by macbwt

• 6 months later...

I hate to post in an old thread but has anybody had this issue recently? I have 13 Edge sport with 26K that is babied and is having the symptoms everyone has described. I'm having a hard time with the dealership in getting this resolved. They have had it for a few days and the service manager has taken it home and he has yet to reproduce the issue and basically told me I'm out of luck until I can show them an error code or the issue itself since Ford wont reimburse them with no evidence of a problem. Well we all know that the error code is cleared when the car is turned off and turned back on.

I have video of the symptoms and vehicle health report but they don't seem interested in looking at this evidence. What's the point of being withing the 3/36K warranty and an ESP of this is what I'm going to deal with. I'm picking it up today and calling all the local dealerships to see if they are willing to assist me with this issue. I cannot and will not place my family in danger until this issue is resolved.

If need be, I will buy a TB and replace it myself although it infuriates me that I am well within the factory standard warranty and an ESP but the safety of my family is more important.

I also thought about selling the vehicle but I cannot in good in conscience let someone else buy this vehicle with this dangerous problem.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by KausticRage

Sorry you are experiencing this issue! I assume there are no codes set since the dealership should have seen them otherwise. Safest course of action is still replacing the TB yourself and keeping the receipt for reimbursement in the event of a recall (unlikely, I know, but ...). At least you will get a 2/24 warranty with the new throttle body :)

So, from talking to folks in the Ford service department (off the record because I have contacts who will NOT speak on the record) I know that the issue is NOT going to be helped by cleaning the TB. Word is that, unless you drive in really harsh conditions, the TB only needs to be cleaned every 75-100,000 miles. You many not have the car that long.

The issue is actually a badly designed and manufactured TB control module. So, Yes, the best course of action is to buy a new one and replace. Not too difficult and about 1/4 the cost of having the dealer do the work.

On the issue of seeing codes. As I've been told, the moment you restart the car the codes will be cleared from the failure event. It's how Ford worms their way around doing the repair under warranty. The only way you can get the code is to NOT start the car after it fails. Have it towed in and DO NOT let the dealer start the car until they pull codes. This is why virtually no one gets warranty repair. Your first instinct after it fails is to try and start it.

Hope that helps... since Ford clearly isn't... sigh...

Oh, and for the record, I think Ford is a great vehicle. It's the little planned service failures (see door latch failure as well) they put in for extra profit that makes me mad. Love my Edge and would definitely buy another. From what I understand, this issue is fixed in the new redesigned models. We'll see soon enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Maavalous1. I too love my Edge but this issue has the potential to be catastrophic if it happens to hit while on the freeway in the middle of traffic with no easy way to get to the shoulder.

Since it first happened, I cannot and will not have my family inside and I will be contacting whoever I need to in order to get this resolved. When this happens again, hopefully it is in an area where I can power off the card and get it towed to a dealership. I will be calling a few of the local dealerships to see if any of them are A) aware of the issue and B ) willing to work with me on getting it fixed (I'll still be contacting Ford directly). Probably a long shot but I am willing to give it a shot since I am within the 3/36K b2b warranty.

Edited by KausticRage

If you have a clear video showing the problem & cluster with the wrench warning, I'd suggest you contact the Ford service representative whose on this site perhaps they'd be able to escalate your case to get it resolved.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13821-official-ford-service-representative/

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update on my issue. I'm not the type to cause a stink but this issue was serious enough that I got the original salesman involved and he was more than willing to help and took my case seriously.

He spoke directly to the service director of the dealership once he read my email along with the videos I made of the issue. Not even 2 hours passed before I was called by the dealerships service department and they had me bring in the car the next morning so they could take a look and put me in a loaner. About three hours after dropping off my truck, they called back and told me they tracked it down to a bad Throttle Body (Like I said the first time I dropped it off after researching the issue).
The part is on back order and once they receive it they will swap it out. It's amazing what can get done when the right people are involved.
Thanks everyone for the tips.
  • Like 2

Woo HOO!! Congratulations KausticRage!

You are one of a VERY small number of Ford owners who have gotten anything but the run around on this issue. Good work and a lesson to all. Make a video of the cluster and, if at all possible, have it towed to the dealer and DO NOT let them try to start it before they put it on the diag machine.

Glad this worked out for you. Too bad Ford isn't reputable enough to treat paying and loyal customers with respect... sigh.

Makes me happy I created this thread to begin with :yahoo:

Curious, was it the actual mechanical part of the throttle body or the electronic controller?

I have an update on my issue. I'm not the type to cause a stink but this issue was serious enough that I got the original salesman involved and he was more than willing to help and took my case seriously.

He spoke directly to the service director of the dealership once he read my email along with the videos I made of the issue. Not even 2 hours passed before I was called by the dealerships service department and they had me bring in the car the next morning so they could take a look and put me in a loaner. About three hours after dropping off my truck, they called back and told me they tracked it down to a bad Throttle Body (Like I said the first time I dropped it off after researching the issue).
The part is on back order and once they receive it they will swap it out. It's amazing what can get done when the right people are involved.
Thanks everyone for the tips.

From my understanding, it is the electrical contacts inside the controller that get dirty and stop functioning properly, not unlike the door latches. So you COULD try cleaning and reusing, but YMMV ...

There's a youtube video that describes changing just the cover (which contains the electronic components). Supposed to be less expensive for warranty work.

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

• Like 3

Hello everybody. I am from Brazil and have the same problem (here spends very much to solve any problem with foreign cars). This forum help me very much. The way to solve problem Without spending any money: remove the throttle body, open the side black cap. There will be three gears. A plastic in the middle, a butterfly gear and one of the DC motor. Remove the DC motor by loosening the screws. Open the DC motor (can burst the seal). Remove the rotor brushes. If they are curved, sand to make them convex. Mount everything back and your problem will be solved.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, WWWPerfA_ZN0W, I did the procedure in my car without taking photos but my throttle body is the same of the video that you post. My Edge had 12 failures from home to shop. After this procedure, was fine. The most difficult is to open the DC motor. My mechanic already knew repair and in half an hour everything was new. If anybody want help, contact me that will be a pleasure. marianomessaggi@hotmail.com

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not really a bump, but at low speed I do not get a shift and the throttle is very sensitive with a quick deceleration if I let off the gas and fast accelertation if I give it a little gas. Does this around city driving, but have no issues on the interstate. Although I still feel Lullubelle is dragging her..... some times. Blueberry does not behaive in this manner and runs great. When I get a chance this next week I will get it to the Auto skills center and get the computer on it. I may take it in to the dealer to have the Mykey located and found since it has disappeared and no one seems to know why or where it went.

Sorry for bringing this up, somehow accidently, your post came up & it is interesting as I think I feel the same with MKX as you describe (very sensitive throttle). Having only my car as a reference, never thought it was an issue. Did you eventually sort it out or find why do you have this difference?

Cleaned the TB seems to be the nature of the beast as far as how the engine operates and gets fuel. Found out it is somewhat inherent to the design. The system cuts fuel to the engine when the throttle is not depressed and this causes some minor engine braking which is what i was feeling on top of it all the alternator kicks in when decelerating to grab some of the engine momentum to recharge the battery. All in all it is designed this way for the most part. I have since grown accustom to the way it drives and have never had an issue.

• Like 1

I have had this same problem 6 months ago. It stopped but has started up again. Now the car just stalls and the oil light comes on. My husband cleaned the throttle body and I am ok for the time being. Ford did do a "customer satisfactory warranty" but the edge isn't on it. New throttle body costs anywhere from $150 to $289. Very scary when you are doing 70 miles an hour down a highway and the vehicle goes into creep mode. Just fortunate enough that people let me move over to the next lane, but almost got smashed a few times.

• 1 month later...

New member...my 2015 Ford Edge has 13,500 miles and has had the throttle body replaced twice. The first incident occurred around 8500 miles. My service associate had to fight to have it replaced the first time and kept the car 5 days. Last weekend, it repeated the stall and the wrench appeared which seemed to make the dealer happy. Service is telling me that they are having a lot of problems with the 2016 Edges. He said that some have sat on the lot for repair for 4 weeks due to the backorder of parts. He said that mine is the only 2015 they have replaced (now twice!) Upon receiving my keys, I asked the service manager how long I could expect this one to last. The response was "mechanical things break, it is just how it is." Well needless to say, I am not feeling safe in my Edge.