Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

Sad but true! I have a 2010 Ford Edge. I had the gas tank replaced today...$2705 installed. The old tank was rusted and leaking around the fill connections on the tank. Ford customer service claims it's an environmental issue because we use salt on our icy roads! I suggested that they might want to pull the Edge from all dealers except for Arizona and Alberta. I love this car. It is a great car to drive or ride along. Very comfortable and stylish, but I can't afford to put a new gas tank on every 3 or 4 years and I am not ready to move to AZ. I also have a 2011 F-250 King Ranch. With Ford being unable to produce vehicles for this harsh climate we have in Southwestern Ontario..... :) I guess this will end my 30 year love affair with the blue oval

I just reported a similar problem with the same model year here in eastern Ontario. Haven't had it into the dealer yet but have the feeling this is going to be a very expensive repair for a 3 year old car. Was going to buy another Murano at the time of buying the Edge. I have an 03 Murano with about 300K km and my most expensive repair has been for tires.

Hey guys,

We have a 2007 Edge and have had the same gas leak problem for the past month. My husband contacted the dealer multiple times and Ford Corporate but got nowhere. Good news though. My husband looked online, put in our vin # and Ford issued a recall for this issue on October 28. (See below) So definitely contact your dealer--for those who have already gotten it fixed, looks like you can get a reimbursement.

FORD RECALL NUMBER: 14S22

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#

RECALL DATE: OCT 28, 2014

RECALL TITLE: FUEL TANK CORROSION INSPECTION AND REPAIR

REMEDY PROGRAM: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE(S) TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE FUEL TANK INSPECTED FOR CORROSION AND REPAIRED OR REPLACED AS NECESSARY. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE TO OWNERS FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL WAS PROVIDED TO THE AGENCY ON FEBRUARY 20, 2013. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PER FORD GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN IS JANUARY 5, 2015.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PER FORD GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN IS JANUARY 5, 2015.

So owner's who have had the tank fixed on their dime in the past can submit for reimbursement from Ford according to that notice.

What exactly does the statement mean about a deadline of January 5, 2015? Does it mean owner's only have until then to submit for the cost if they paid for it? Or does it mean any owner repairs after January 5, 2015 will not be reimbursed?

Hopefully it is not a deadline to file for reimbursement. Even then, how many owner's will even hear about this program unless they experience the problem before that date, and IF they take it to a Ford dealer?

Glad to see something is being done to help those who have had this costly repair done in the past, but I hope a lot aren't shut out of the program because they never heard about it.

It means if you already paid to have it fixed you can submit for reimbursement until then. Anything from now on would be covered by the recall. Since it's a recall every owner will be notified via mail. My guess is they would still honor the reimbursement if someone failed to be notified. The deadline is so that the vast majority of folks get their reimbursements submitted right away and don't let it drag out.

Usually these kinds of recalls are actually paid for by suppliers, so it's likely that January 5th or shortly thereafter is the date when Ford will send the final bill to the supplier.

Once a recall is issued (or at least once notifications are sent), Ford will only cover repairs made at a Ford dealer.

If they are only giving owner's until January 5 of 2015 to submit for reimbursement, I think a lot of owner's are going to miss out. We read about maybe two dozen or so on this forum that have paid for repairs themselves. I bet there are many times more that don't know about this program or ever will. Yes, notice is being issued to registered owner's, but what about those who sold the car after doing the repairs themselves?

How many owner's of a 6 or 7 year old Edge will take it to a dealer if they have a gas leak? Most will seek other repair facilities because of cost differences between a dealership and an independent garage or repair shop.

I mentioned that I think it is great that Ford has issued this action. I don't think such a stringent deadline for claims to be made will benefit a large number of owner's who would be entitled to reimbursement only because they didn't find out until too late.

I hope it works out for those owner's that have had the problem, but we will see.

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the fuel tank leaking club. 1850.00 to get it done at the dealership. Have a guy locally that can install it for 3 hours labor...course Fords price on the tank is 1640.00 plus tax. Reported it to the NHTSA and complained to Ford/Lincoln.

Has there been any updates to this issue or alternative fixes?

Just read the above posts. I had no idea....

My wife and I finally bit the bullet and set an appointment last week to bring her MKX in yesterday to pay the roughly 2k to get the gas tank fixed. Good news, bad news you ask? Correct. Good News x2: We got a call today saying that there was a recall that would cover the repair costs associated with her issue! Awesome! We saved 2k to get it fixed and now we can use that surplus $ to address other things that popped up. Bad News: No idea when the part will be in. Booooooo. Looks like Ill be rockin the spare 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 190k miles, that has been in the back yard, that smells like cat piss, while my wife takes over my VW Toureg V10 Diesel. Still, I find myself not mad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Edge awd sel plus

I'm really pleased with the way it rides and drives but upon the first time I filled it up with gas I noticed it smelling of gas fumes then after work I noticed there was a puddle of gas under it... Then I done some online research and found it to be a recall but my local dealership doesn't seem to be aware of this recall..... so I'm wondering what my best option is on getting this repaired...???

sooooo.......my Ford Edge is at the dealers since the first week of November and wont be getting it back until sometime September or October of this year (hopefully). In the meantime i have a loaner and can get one a month or every so, still nothing like my own car. Its going to be a long year.

Good luck to you... I had a Toyota Corolla for 3 weeks, but I was fortunate enough to get my Edge to the dealer early... like the day the recall came out.