Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Edge awd sel plus

I'm really pleased with the way it rides and drives but upon the first time I filled it up with gas I noticed it smelling of gas fumes then after work I noticed there was a puddle of gas under it... Then I done some online research and found it to be a recall but my local dealership doesn't seem to be aware of this recall..... so I'm wondering what my best option is on getting this repaired...???

They can type your VIN# into their computer system and tell what recalls are open for your vehicle. Make them do their job or go to a Ford dealer that will.

Are you saying they replaced your fuel tank in three weeks?

Yes. I was in the process of fighting with Ford about the gas tank when the recall came out. That really made their customer service staff look like boobs. They could have handled it so much differently than they did.

I believe, at the time, Ford knew they were about to have the recall and stocking up on the available tanks because, trust me, there were no tanks to be found anywhere for any amount of money. Even Sally at Ford customer service admitted there were no tanks available. So I was surprised when it only took 3 weeks.

But ... yes... it took 3 weeks, which was 1 week less than predicted and Ford paid for the rental/loaner car.

Welcome to the community, Don Diestas and Extreme Autobody! :dance:

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’m here to lend a hand if you have any questions or concerns.

sooooo.......my Ford Edge is at the dealers since the first week of November and wont be getting it back until sometime September or October of this year (hopefully). In the meantime i have a loaner and can get one a month or every so, still nothing like my own car. Its going to be a long year.

Quite the shortage! BUT at least the customer is taken care of :thumbsup:

Don Diestas,

Which model year is your Edge, and what’s the current mileage?

I agree with WWWPerfA_ZN0W, and I’m glad to learn that your dealer is taking care of your means of transportation.

Please continue to keep us posted!

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Edge awd sel plus

I'm really pleased with the way it rides and drives but upon the first time I filled it up with gas I noticed it smelling of gas fumes then after work I noticed there was a puddle of gas under it... Then I done some online research and found it to be a recall but my local dealership doesn't seem to be aware of this recall..... so I'm wondering what my best option is on getting this repaired...???

They can type your VIN# into their computer system and tell what recalls are open for your vehicle. Make them do their job or go to a Ford dealer that will.

Extreme Autobody,

BreWen1111 is correct. Your dealer can check and see which recalls apply to your vehicle or you can also check this information online. To check for recalls click here. All you need to do is plug-in your VIN.

You are also welcomed to seek a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

I'll be here if you have any more questions. :)

Tricia

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 AWD Edge and started to smell fuel and noticed a leak in my driveway last week. I brought it into the dealer for oil change/safety inspection and it turns out that it needs the fuel tank replaced. So it failed safety and the dealer cannot locate an oem, aftermarket or salvaged fuel tank. (probably due to the recall on the 07-08 models). A) How is it that the 09-10 models are not covered under the recall? B) What am I supposed to do? I think my only option is to get the defective fuel tank removed and reconditioned at a specialty shop.

I think this is pretty serious since this is our only vehicle and we have two new born babies. I'll have to call the Canadian Ford customer service on Monday but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Do document everything, whatever costs related to this issue especially for later reimbursement. Contact Ford Canada, do they have a Lincoln Canada? Lincoln is worth trying if Ford doesn't work out. You should lodge a complaint with Ford regardless so they can't say they didn't know about it.

I can't find aftermarket tanks either right now for the Edge, but will keep looking. Is cross-border pickup an option for you? Otherwise Levittown can ship to CA.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

This fuel tank issue is growing out of control for Ford if they can not even supply tanks for other model years, not to mention questionable materials and construction failures that apparently are related to all model years Ford edges or at least more than Ford is willing to admit. Pinto revisited? Maybe not that bad but if parts are available for everything else on the Ford Edge and the tanks are not available for multiple model years other than the 2007-2008 years then this indicates a serious design flaw across multiple model years of the Ford Edge and not just the 2007-2008 models years. There will be an expansion of this just wait.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

I have the same problem with my 2007 Edge. I have the same story....leaky gas tank....took it into the dealer Nov 3, 2014...they said it was under recall and said they couldn't give it back to me because it was unsafe ....then gave me the keys to a new 2015 Explorer which is a Enterprise Rental vehicle. Today is April 9, 2015 and I still have the 2015 Explorer! I check back with the dealer monthly and it's the same answer......they don't know when they will get a gas tank! The Ford service manager has been told to say at least another 3 more months ...but that's a guess!

So today I get a call from the Ford dealer sales person and was told of a special,offer by Ford to the effected Edge leaky gas tank owners......Ford is offering to give me Fair Market Value "not trade in value" estimated by a 3rd party , plus $2500 if I purchase a new Ford.

I now realize that Ford never intended to get new gas tanks for the Edge and will "wait it out" because it probably cheaper this way, I also got a flyer in the mail from Enterprise Rental containing a $750 coupon on the purchase of a new Ford!

Please post up if you have anything to ad or anything new!

Niagara Falls Canada

• Like 2

Certainly ONE solution, better than no solution, but sometimes finding a substitute is difficult if you bough the vehicle for value. If your vehicle is practically new, then I can see ending up even or close to it. If your vehicle is a few years old, like mine, it takes time to locate one in that price range again. Quite a bit of effort and heartache likely involved.

So if a recall is issued, fix the problem, please. Don't take the vehicle away from the owner for an indefinite amount of time as a way to weary them into compliance. Now THAT is big corporation/govt tactics with teeth bared and claws out.

• Like 2

For those wanting to replace their "faulty" tanks now, price is still high, but check out these links:

Spectra F85A - AWD - Amazon prime says 3-5 days shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F85A-Fuel-Tank/dp/B00BJXUA34/

Spectra F85B - FWD

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F85B-Fuel-Tank/dp/B00BJXUACU/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

It has been 7 months since we dropped our Lincoln off at the dealership and 7 months into the rental that is costing Ford 1350.00 per month. Like the rest of you the ETA of the tank is Oct or November. Thats 17,550.00 that Ford is spending on the rental alone with just us. I've tried to contact Ford to talk about a buy back or work some deal out but get nowhere fast. I hate the liability and risk of this long term rental. Someone at Ford did a piss poor job with the response to this recall....I hope their head rolled.

• Like 1

It has been 7 months since we dropped our Lincoln off at the dealership and 7 months into the rental that is costing Ford 1350.00 per month. Like the rest of you the ETA of the tank is Oct or November. Thats 17,550.00 that Ford is spending on the rental alone with just us. I've tried to contact Ford to talk about a buy back or work some deal out but get nowhere fast. I hate the liability and risk of this long term rental. Someone at Ford did a piss poor job with the response to this recall....I hope their head rolled.

Ford doesn't manufacture the fuel tanks. It's their responsibility but I can't remember the last time there was a recall on this many fuel tanks other than the straps.

Read post 87 - you should check with your dealer and have them check with Ford about a buyback.

Hello to all!

Further to my previous post (87)...... I respectfully declined the offer and politely stated since my car was recalled by Ford and unsafe (Ford's words) to return it to me as is, I would wait for my car to be repaired. The Ford person ....replied back with a thank you and that his manager would be informed of my decline.

As I sit ......or drive their car (LOL) and wait for the elusive gas tank......my Edge has been sitting in a Ford car lot all winter long perhaps not started and certainly rusting.....I live in Canada near the Buffalo New York border .....the brakes, rotors, bearings and just about anything else that is metal is rusting.......I anticipate some serious discussion about having my Edge returned to me in the same condition I left it as .....of course with the addition of a ne w gas tank!

I would be interested in the thoughts of all that read this post.

Have a great day!

• Like 1