Serious gas tank leak

Fullhouz

I've had my 07 AWD Edge for six months without any problems. Last week I noticed a gas smell. Today the tank is leaking from the top of the tank after a fill up. I don't believe it is a case of overfilling the tank. The stealership reportedly fixed the same problem before I bought it in December. They said they replaced the tank but I don't believe it - I think they either replaced a gasket or tried to seal the leak.

If you have any experience with a similar problem, or replacing any gaskets on the tank or replacing the whole tank, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Should I go to Ford, back to the dealership, NHTSA or all the above?

Thanks in advance,

Fullhouz

post-27149-0-01480400-1373684706_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've had my 07 AWD Edge for six months without any problems. Last week I noticed a gas smell. Today the tank is leaking from the top of the tank after a fill up. I don't believe it is a case of overfilling the tank. The stealership reportedly fixed the same problem before I bought it in December. They said they replaced the tank but I don't believe it - I think they either replaced a gasket or tried to seal the leak.

If you have any experience with a similar problem, or replacing any gaskets on the tank or replacing the whole tank, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fullhouz

attachicon.giftank1.jpg

Go back to the dealer - the original repair should still be under warranty.

• 3 months later...

Thanks in advance,

Fullhouz

attachicon.giftank1.jpg

WHAT IS THE NHTSA I HAVE ALREADY GONE TO THE HOT LINE FOR FORD TOMORROW IM GOING TO THE TOP OF THE COMPANY WITH PICS OF THE FUEL TANK I TOLD THE SERVICE TECH TO KEEP THE TANK IM COMING IN TOMORROW YOU REALLY NEED TO BE AGGRESSIVE WITH THIS SOMETIMES ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GET WHAT U SHOULD HAVE WITH OUT COST THERE IS A DEFECT IN THE PRODUCT SO DONT GIVE UP KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR ISSUE OK

I have the same problem on my 07 edge. Mechanic tells me the are rot hole in top of tank. Called ford to ask about recall they say they can't help. I'm going to keep at them. Very expensive job

I DONT KNOW IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GET A PIC OF THE TANK IF ITS NOT TO LATE TRY AN GET IT POST IT I AM GETTING A PIC OF MY DAUGHTERS TANK AN POSTING IT SO WE CAN COMPARE I THINK IF WE GET MORE OWNERS OF THE FORD EDGE 2007 SEL AWD FUEL TANKS IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL IN GETTING SOMETHING DONE

The dealership did stand behind their repair (patch) work that was performed before I bought the car...Good surprise; After I had a chance to see what they did, it appears they installed a used tank...Bad surprise. There was no charge for this work in July and the used tank is leakproof thus far.

The cost of a new tank appears to be $1,300 for DIY'ers. I don't know what other parts would be required (fuel pump, gas gauge, gaskets, etc.).

Fullhouz

• Like 1

After Ford was not responsive or helpful I filed a complaint with the National Highway Safty Authority, the government organization that forces recalls if there are enough complaints if the same problem. I decided not to repair the tank as it is too expensive and traded it in for a new car. Not a Ford!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem also. 2007 Ford Edge SEL with abour 115K miles. When the tank is filled over 3/4 full strong gas fumes result. Mechanic says top of tank has holes in it. Quoted $1540 for parts, and $505 labor ($2045) to replace tank. Outrageous. Why does the tank deteriorate on the top?

Sad but true! I have a 2010 Ford Edge. I had the gas tank replaced today...$2705 installed. The old tank was rusted and leaking around the fill connections on the tank. Ford customer service claims it's an environmental issue because we use salt on our icy roads! I suggested that they might want to pull the Edge from all dealers except for Arizona and Alberta. I love this car. It is a great car to drive or ride along. Very comfortable and stylish, but I can't afford to put a new gas tank on every 3 or 4 years and I am not ready to move to AZ. I also have a 2011 F-250 King Ranch. With Ford being unable to produce vehicles for this harsh climate we have in Southwestern Ontario.....:) I guess this will end my 30 year love affair with the blue oval.

• 1 month later...

Just found your post forum. I just took my 2007 Lincoln MKX in to the dealership because my garage wreaks of gas and so did the interior of my car. Ford inspected it and told me my gas tank completely corroded and I need a new one. They then proceeded to tell me a tank costs 1800 for the part alone. They offered 300 off and then added on the labour which brought the price back to 1800 plus tax. Now I realize I am not a mechanic however the vehicle is barely driven with very low mileage. This has never happened in any other vehicle I have ever owned or heard of in the last 25 years! I will never buy used again and you can guarantee my next vehicle won't be a Ford. I have had so many problems with this car there are too many to count. Sunroof motor shot/1000 to replace, windshield leaking and leaving half foot of water on the floor of the interior, tires, breaks, etc....the list goes on! Piece of c--p! This was the first North American car I have had. Will continue to buy foreign...this shit doesn't happen at Honda or Volkswagen!

"This was the first North American car I have had. Will continue to buy foreign...this shit doesn't happen at Honda or Volkswagen!"

I had a next door neighbor who was a master mechanic at a Honda dealership. He could have worked 18 hours a day, including Sundays, if he wanted because there was such a back log of cars needing repairs. This was a large dealership that had at least 12 work bays, and 8 mechanics.

I never have driven past a Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc dealership that didn't have a repair shop, or that didn't need an appointment to have work done.

Sorry you have the problems with your MKX. Wondering if the windshield was replaced at one time, or if you bought the car new?

I just bought a 2007 Edge and I filled it up for the first time on Saturday. Got home and gas was leaking on my garage floor. I took it back to the place I bought it and they are replacing the fuel tank. If I hadn't noticed the leak for some time I would most likely have to pay for the repairs myself. Seriously cannot believe a 7 year old vehicle needs a new fuel tank. I had my last car (van) for over 12 years and nothing like this ever happened.

• 1 month later...

Just found your post forum. I just took my 2007 Lincoln MKX in to the dealership because my garage wreaks of gas and so did the interior of my car. Ford inspected it and told me my gas tank completely corroded and I need a new one. They then proceeded to tell me a tank costs 1800 for the part alone. They offered 300 off and then added on the labour which brought the price back to 1800 plus tax. Now I realize I am not a mechanic however the vehicle is barely driven with very low mileage. This has never happened in any other vehicle I have ever owned or heard of in the last 25 years! I will never buy used again and you can guarantee my next vehicle won't be a Ford. I have had so many problems with this car there are too many to count. Sunroof motor shot/1000 to replace, windshield leaking and leaving half foot of water on the floor of the interior, tires, breaks, etc....the list goes on! Piece of c--p! This was the first North American car I have had. Will continue to buy foreign...this shit doesn't happen at Honda or Volkswagen!

I have owned a bunch of different cars, domestic and foreign, and in my highschool days some of them were pretty crappy rides. I have NEVER had any vehicle, even the ones I owned that were 20+ years old, have the fuel tank rot out.

My 2003 Ford F150 was involved in a recall because the fuel tank straps could rust. If they broke, your gas tank could drop to the ground while driving. I believe only certain owner's living in certain states that used salt, etc on the roads were notified.

I moved to Dallas in 2005. I had an oil change done one day at a Ford dealer, and they went ahead and replaced my fuel straps even though my truck had only seen 2 winters in Ohio.

Ford really doesn't need to ignore this problem on the Edge. I doubt if they want to end up going before a Congressional committee like GM has to do next week.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL and the gas tank is leaking on the passenger side, front of tank. It seems to be leaking from the seam between the two halves of the tank (top half and bottom half). Due to the high cost of the tank replacement, which in a 21st century car seems like a ludicrous repair, the tank is only filled $20 at a time at the pump. That way, the gas stays roughly below the seam. One would expect to replace tires, brakes, wipers, oil, lights, and other wear items. One wouldn't expect to replace the fuel tank!

As I am a new member on this forum, I cannot send a PM. However, I wanted to send one to "FordService" in the post right above mine. If at all possible, I would like to find out what can be done about this. Please send me a PM with further insight.

Thank you.

Ken

I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL and the gas tank is leaking on the passenger side, front of tank. It seems to be leaking from the seam between the two halves of the tank (top half and bottom half). Due to the high cost of the tank replacement, which in a 21st century car seems like a ludicrous repair, the tank is only filled $20 at a time at the pump. That way, the gas stays roughly below the seam. One would expect to replace tires, brakes, wipers, oil, lights, and other wear items. One wouldn't expect to replace the fuel tank!

As I am a new member on this forum, I cannot send a PM. However, I wanted to send one to "FordService" in the post right above mine. If at all possible, I would like to find out what can be done about this. Please send me a PM with further insight.

Thank you.

Ken

Welcome to the forum, Ken!

I sent you a response to your inquiry via PM. Please check your inbox and have a wonderful day! :)

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

newby here and just purchased a used 2013 SE with the 2.0l EB 2 weeks ago...at dealer for second time since we purchased 2 weeks ago. first was for the fuel line recall that was never done...we had the defective line, taken care of in a day. filled up tank yesterday and came out to a puddle of gas under drivers side back door after going to a friends house-dealer says the top of the fuel pump is cracked and they will replace, be ready tomorrow late afternoon-have had great service at local dealer, just hoping I don't get to know the service manager too well. oh yea, all covered under factory warranty

I just found out today that my fuel tank needs replaced due to the same issue everyone else is having. Has Ford done anything about this. I find it hard to believe this needs done already. I have had cars a lot longer than this one and have NEVER had to replace a part like this.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter-in-law bought a 2007 SEL, after I recommended her to my Dealer, and just found out that the top of her tank is rotted out. Can't fill the tank or it leaks out.Ford really needs to deal with this issue, can't believe a fuel tank would rot out after less then 7 years. Talking around $2500.00 + to have tank replaced.

I just sent out an eMail last week to Ford Corporate Customer Service and have not heard anything back as of today 06/23/2014.

I also have a 2008 AWD Limited and started seeing the same issue starting to pop up on the 2008's.

This may very well push me away from Ford after 20 years depending on how they handle it.

If I don't receive a response by the end of the week I am going to be filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.gov

The more people with this issue that file a complaint the more pressure on Ford to correct this problem.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 2007 Lincoln MKX 80k miles with the identical problem with the fuel tank leaking from the same place. Has anyone had any luck with Lincoln or Ford regarding compensation? It's never been in an accident or hit anything, seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. I've had many Fords over the years some with 200k miles never had a gas tank corrode out like this. Ford quoted me $2,500 for the work. Something needs to be done its clearly a defect .

I have a 2007 AWD SEL. Leaking tank = $2400 repair. I just finished a battle with ford over rust in the rear quarter panel, so I'm in no mood to fight again. Called a rad shop in London Ontario and they will repair the tank (removal, cleaning, sandblasting, soldering and repainting the tank and re-installing) for approx. $500 plus tax ca. That should take care of the problem. The service guy says they have a lot of them come through, all with a leak in the same place! Ford should come clean about this problem, but i highly doubt they ever will! However, all the other makes will have problems too! Ask GM or Toyota!