Ambiant lighting keeps coming back on

At least you have ambient light.

Ā 

I test drove a 2012 SEL FWD for a weekend which had it. Dealer said the 2013 SEL AWD I was looking to buy was identical (except for AWD of course) so I didn't even think to look for it when configuring the vehicle.

Ā 

Quite pissed when I got home with my 2013 and went to take the family for a drive after dark and no lighting.

Ā 

If you take yours out, I'll buy it......... :)

I just got back from a 2135 mile round trip and the first time I noticed it I chucked it up to being 50. Then the next time I was sure that the Edge is doing it.

Ā 

I had it set for ~20% bright on red. Leave the car - get back in (after dinner) and it's back to 100% bright, stock instrument lighting turquoise.

Ā 

Changed it to 10% bright, on orange, was fine most the day until I shut the car off and left it for a while. Came back, started .. and back to 100% bright, turquoise.

Ā 

Houston .. we have a problem.

Ā 

FYI - 2011 limited awd, airco ~50% and moderate cargo, ~40,000 miles on the engine. I averaged 22.3mpg over the entire trip.

Edited by Tacyon

Im aware it changes to bright turquoise when exiting/entering the vehicle. I always had it set to dark red. I will enter the vehicle and start it and the color will be something different. Lately, I have the ambient lighting set to OFF and the bright turquoise will stay ON after entering and starting the vehicle. Its so weird. I have written Ford in the past with no luck so I am not confident any communication with them will help. My local dealer has no answers. No surprise. lol

I notice the same kind of anomolies since the udpate. It does not matter what color I change it to, it will not keep it. I can even turn it off, it will come back on. Somethings screwed up with it. Has anyone done a reset with the problem? I have not done one, don't really want to unless that definitley fixes it.

Ā 

Rayo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I notice the same kind of anomolies since the udpate. It does not matter what color I change it to, it will not keep it. I can even turn it off, it will come back on. Somethings screwed up with it. Has anyone done a reset with the problem? I have not done one, don't really want to unless that definitley fixes it.

Ā 

Rayo

I am having the same problem and would also like to know if a reset will correct the issue. It is just so annoying when the updates fix one thing only to cause another.

• 3 weeks later...

ok .. some additional observations in this light. (HA ! I made a funny) I've noticed that not only will the ambient lighting change randomly from ~20% brightness in RED to 100% turquoise, but the "valid words" help screen also randomly appears when I activate the voice control. Just like the lighting, I can disable it and it goes away with the same reliability as the ambient lighting. Under some condition some variable is not getting read correctly. Definitely a bug in the code, again, bug tracking for QC of a new release. Come on Ford, why do your customers keep having to do your job for you??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Ā 

I'm Antonio. I'm new to this forum, but I'll be providing tech support for SYNC, MyFord and MyFord Touch. This erratic behavior with the ambient lighting has been documented and recognized by our Tech Hotline - the folks who provide workshop support for the on-site Ford technicians. This is an issue that needs to be investigated by your service garage; there's a data retention error in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) that will likely require some reprogramming.

Ā 

Antonio

• Like 2

This is an issue that needs to be investigated by your service garage; there's a data retention error in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) that will likely require some reprogramming.

Ā 

Antonio

Ā 

And i would hope that this would be a FREE reprogramming? I'm just worried that if/when i add the lighting that i will have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

My 2011 MKX exhibits the same behaviour where I will set colour to Blue but it changes back to defalt colour after about an week. Issue seemed to start or at least occur more frequently after update to 3.6.2. for MFT.

Ā 

To mee it seems more MFT software bug then APIM issue.

Ā 

Antonio, if this is a known issue, can at TSB released for it since if I take it to the dealership, they will most likely be clueless on the issue without a TSB.

My 2011 MKX exhibits the same behaviour where I will set colour to Blue but it changes back to defalt colour after about an week. Issue seemed to start or at least occur more frequently after update to 3.6.2. for MFT.

Ā 

To mee it seems more MFT software bug then APIM issue.

Ā 

Antonio, if this is a known issue, can at TSB released for it since if I take it to the dealership, they will most likely be clueless on the issue without a TSB.

Ā 

Hi teknowiz,

Ā 

I can't speak to any TSBs for this specific issue, but each dealership shares the same resources and should be able to provide the right solution based on the symptoms.

Ā 

My 2012 Edge has the ambient lighting issue. So if there is a data retention error in the APIM, what is the fix? New APIM or new SYNC software? if I go to the dealer with this issue what will they do?

Ā 

Hello mrgrouper,

Ā 

Your Ford-Certified technician can only advise on the actual fixes - this type of information is beyond my authority to give. I imagine the service would most likely entail programming changes made to the APIM, rather than any hardware swaps. However, as I stated previously, this issue is still under investigation. There could be other causes that are creating similar behaviors, which may vary from vehicle to vehicle, so I wouldn't presume to make any blanket-statements.

Ā 

Ā 

And i would hope that this would be a FREE reprogramming? I'm just worried that if/when i add the lighting that i will have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

Ā 

Hi SvPir8,

Ā 

My scope doesn't include warranty-related concerns, but I also wouldn't deem it out of the question to consult with your service adviser before making an appointment. They would be able to give you a better idea of the service fees that might be involved (if any).

Ā 

Antonio

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...