Easiest oil change ever

Cougarpaw99

Hello everyone! I've had my Edge for a while now, and this is the first time I changed the oil myself. I couldn't believe how easy it was. The hardest part was cleaning the oil I spilled on my driveway. So...for anyone who is thinking about doing it themselves, I say "go for it". After buying the filter and oil, I saved about $20 from taking it to the dealership and it only took me about 20 minutes.

I've down my own maintenance on all of my cars for the last 45 years. I do it because I know how to do it, I enjoy doing it, and I can inspect other things while I'm doing it. I also know that it is done correctly and no short cuts were taken.

With that said, there have been a few times in the last several years I have taken advantage of the Ford Works package at the local dealer. For $29.95 plus tax (after a $10.00 rebate) I get 5 quarts of FMC synthetic blend 5W20 oil, a FL500S oil filter, and tire rotation. I also get a multi-point inspection including brake condition and thickness, battery charge and condition, etc.

Sure beats doing that in my garage using some floor jacks when the temperature is over 100 degrees. I've also had it done when I've been working out of state and the 5000 mile interval came due. I'm really not saving that much money when I do it myself, so I don't mind when I do have to have a dealership do it, as long as they have the $29.95 after rebate Works Package deal.

• Like 1

I agree, Edges are super easy. I just take the front drivers side up a little with a floor jack to make it easier to slide under the front. Never trusted the dealership or any of the quick change places to do a simple oil change. Thanks to a fellow member, I got in on that $5.00 five qt jug deal and have enough Motorcraft 5w20 to last me to 150,000 miles.

• 1 year later...

With that said, there have been a few times in the last several years I have taken advantage of the Ford Works package at the local dealer. For $29.95 plus tax (after a $10.00 rebate) I get 5 quarts of FMC synthetic blend 5W20 oil, a FL500S oil filter, and tire rotation. I also get a multi-point inspection including brake condition and thickness, battery charge and condition, etc.

unless such filter is possible, after all there has to be a FL-400 filter? It is admissible?

This thread says the 500s should fit if build date is after Jan 16. 2009:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/438-oil-filter/

Yours is not, so I would stick with the 400s filter.

Not sure what the practical differences would be between the 400 & 500 filters. Could be drainback valve pressure, burst pressure, capacity, etc.

FL400s:

2.98 inches in diameter, 4.72 inches in height. Dry weight: 0.8 pounds. Thread size: 3/4-inch. Relief valve pressure: 14 psi
http://www.ehow.com/list_7846289_specifications-motorcraft-fl400s-filter.html

• Like 1