Oil Filter

SEL_Plus

I'm about ready to change my oil, but can't seem to find the right oil filter. The manual calls for a Motorcraft FL-400-SB12, but even the online Motorcraft catalog doesn't list them. I've seen FL-400S filters, but don't want to get into a pickle trying one and having it not fit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Earl Change,

I also own a F150Xlt that uses the same Oil and Oil filter that My New Edge uses.

When I go to change my oil I just buy a case of Oil filters.

I also own a Taurus SES and the same applies. It is very nice to be able to use 1 filter for both vehicles rather than buying different ones evey time.

• 2 months later...
K&N has HP-2009 for Edge, I'm getting this one for my next oil change. ^_^

B000C3YTJI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA280_.jpg

$14. / ea.

Ā 

It's great to Live in America. I love the graphics on that can, probably cost an extra $1 to apply it. However, are you going to safety wire that can so it doesn't unscrew? Attaching that drilled nut was probably about $3+ extra. With hand pressure, you just screw the filter 3/4 turn once it contacts the mounting boss. You won't even have room to put a 1" wrench on that nut to loosen it. And their marketing stress's how good the can is for Burst pressure. IF you reach burst pressure, you've already starved the engine of oil, and the internal filter by-pass has failed. But great looking filter for $14 thou.

Ā 

K&N supplies NO Filter Beta rating, nor micron filter rating. My guess is it's about a 20+ micron. Your just buying a name. What you need to consider/know in a filter is, HOW WELL IT FILTER's! I spent just under the same money on one, but this isn't an endorsement posting.

Ā 

I'd personally love to install a by-pass filter system on the 3.5L. But as yet, I can't figure out where to mount one. If I use the oil filter location on the engine, running lines to a filter relocation/bypass system, runs the lines too close to the large canister dropping down from the exhaust header. Then running the lines under the front trans-axle to a location just to the front side of the rear doors, looks like it will extend to low under the undercarriage for me. Just looking over these thing's on the Edge looks like good engineering work from Ford. By-pass filtering is probably over-kill, but it has been something I'm trying to research to use. Hopefully I'll find a place to install one. Even checked under the battery tray. Their is litterly no room in the engine bay for anything to be added.

• 2 months later...
$14. / ea.

Ā 

It's great to Live in America. I love the graphics on that can, probably cost an extra $1 to apply it. However, are you going to safety wire that can so it doesn't unscrew? Attaching that drilled nut was probably about $3+ extra. With hand pressure, you just screw the filter 3/4 turn once it contacts the mounting boss. You won't even have room to put a 1" wrench on that nut to loosen it. And their marketing stress's how good the can is for Burst pressure. IF you reach burst pressure, you've already starved the engine of oil, and the internal filter by-pass has failed. But great looking filter for $14 thou.

Ā 

K&N supplies NO Filter Beta rating, nor micron filter rating. My guess is it's about a 20+ micron. Your just buying a name. What you need to consider/know in a filter is, HOW WELL IT FILTER's! I spent just under the same money on one, but this isn't an endorsement posting.

Ā 

I'd personally love to install a by-pass filter system on the 3.5L. But as yet, I can't figure out where to mount one. If I use the oil filter location on the engine, running lines to a filter relocation/bypass system, runs the lines too close to the large canister dropping down from the exhaust header. Then running the lines under the front trans-axle to a location just to the front side of the rear doors, looks like it will extend to low under the undercarriage for me. Just looking over these thing's on the Edge looks like good engineering work from Ford. By-pass filtering is probably over-kill, but it has been something I'm trying to research to use. Hopefully I'll find a place to install one. Even checked under the battery tray. Their is litterly no room in the engine bay for anything to be added.

Ā 

07 MXK I put a bypass filter on my edge and it was an easy install. Plenty of room under the hood.

If you want pictures of it email me at gner@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Earl Change,

I also own a F150Xlt that uses the same Oil and Oil filter that My New Edge uses.

When I go to change my oil I just buy a case of Oil filters.

I also own a Taurus SES and the same applies. It is very nice to be able to use 1 filter for both vehicles rather than buying different ones evey time.

Is U'r F-150 a 4.2L V6?

FWIW, my recent experience:

1998 F-150 4.6L V8 - FL820

1998 Taurus 24v - FL820

2005 F-150 5.4L V8- FL820

2005 Taurus 12v - FL400

2007 Edge - FL400

Both these filters have same thread dia & pitch & same gasket dia. Body dia. & length differ, but capacity may be same. (Will calculate.) I'm guessing filter location determines which fits where. :yup:

13:19 - If correct, :headscratch:, volume = pi x r2 x h, shows 32.69 in3 for FL400 vs. 41.28 in3 for FL820, which is a 25%+ difference. FL820 too big around to fit. Besides possibility of making oil changes easier, is there benefit to using remote filter location for larger filter?

Edited by dadrett

• 2 weeks later...
$14. / ea.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have an Amsoil bypass system that I want to install on my 09 Edge. Does anyone know what the filter thread size is?

I just took this system and an oil cooler off of my 99 Expedition.

Motorcraft filters are the best filters you can buy......period....and at a price 0f around $3 you can't beat 'em. Like I have said before, when ford makes a full synthetic.....it will be bought. Until then, I run Mobil 1 0W-20 and picked up 2mpg ! Pricey oil, but it pays for itself.......especially since gas prices are on the rise. Mobil 1 every 5,ooo miles and fuel system cleaner with every oil change, will reward you greatly in more ways than one. I am not independently wealthy by any means and bought this CUV for my wife and ,at the time, unborn baby girl for safety and peace of mind......spent more than my means and couldn't be happier. My blood runs blue and always will. Sorry for the rant here, but I have a case of the Monday blues and I am erasing them with some good 'ole Molson Ice. This is the best looking CUV on the market.....to be honest, If I had money, an Audi Q7 would be sitting in the driveway but the Edge is first in my book.......the wifes was the Audi. From the hairy lips of Dennis Gauge......"Happy Motoring ! "

• 2 months later...
I tried a FL-400S and it was the right filter. Threads are the wrong size. Fram showed that correct filter was a PH3600, but that one had the same issue. Anyone else having problems finding a filter that fits?

Had the exact same problem. Apparently, some of the newer Edges (later 09's and 10's I'm guessing) take the Motorcraft FL500 (or FL500S...I can't remember, but there's only one of these...not both). Only place I could find the darn think was at the Ford dealer.

Ā 

And for what it's worth, the owner's manual states to the Edge takes the FL400S in the manual, but in another supplement which came w/ the manual, it states the Edge takes either the FL400 or FL500.

Ā 

Good luck,

Ā 

Howard

I tried a FL-400S and it was the right filter. Threads are the wrong size. Fram showed that correct filter was a PH3600, but that one had the same issue. Anyone else having problems finding a filter that fits?

Ā 

The PH3600 fits my 07 MKX. I used to have an 05 F150 & discovered when I went to the store that the book listed 2 different filters. The PH8A which has been widely used since the late 50's & the PH3600. I bought one of each since I wasn't sure which one I needed. Turns out that mine was the PH8A. I kept the PH3600 & when I got the MKX, I looked up what I needed before going to the store & realized I already had one.

The PH3600 fits my 07 MKX. I used to have an 05 F150 & discovered when I went to the store that the book listed 2 different filters. The PH8A which has been widely used since the late 50's & the PH3600. I bought one of each since I wasn't sure which one I needed. Turns out that mine was the PH8A. I kept the PH3600 & when I got the MKX, I looked up what I needed before going to the store & realized I already had one.

Ā 

Another thing I realized last oil change is that the oil pump is at a slight downward angle. The filter didn't seen to want to screw on. Holding the filter down very slightly & it went right on.

Had the exact same problem. Apparently, some of the newer Edges (later 09's and 10's I'm guessing) take the Motorcraft FL500 (or FL500S...I can't remember, but there's only one of these...not both). Only place I could find the darn think was at the Ford dealer.

Ā 

And for what it's worth, the owner's manual states to the Edge takes the FL400S in the manual, but in another supplement which came w/ the manual, it states the Edge takes either the FL400 or FL500.

Ā 

Good luck,

Ā 

Howard

Ā 

Thanks for the info! I'll look for one of those the next time I change my oil. Guess I'm going to have to read the supplement.

Edited by pxb006