What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

4 hours ago, Xtra said:

That’s what I thought as well. Turned out it is the IC. Have not seen it yet so I don’t know the problem. U.P. was super cool and  said that they would  fix it no charge. It is one of the first ones they made 4 or 5 years ago, and the only fail that they have had with them. 
My thought is a weld popped we will find out soon enough. 

thats awesome

• Like 1

5 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

They the ones that stop great but produce a lot of dust? 

They are a hybrid pad with semi metallic and ceramic friction compounds, which should be low dist producing... but I have not had them installed long enough to know if they will be dusty or not

• Like 2

finally got around to changing the rear 3 spark plugs. (2.7 EcoBoost)

i did the front three 10 months ago, but they were in very good shape so i was in no hurry to deal with the rears due to the access issue.

Interesting observation BTW; the rears (original OEM plugs) came out much dirtier with noticeable carbon on the insulator,  than the fronts came out, which i presume is at least partly due to the 170 thermostat.

Aaaand now I realize that i installed the one step colder plugs, NGK LTR7BHX 95605.. 

maybe not ideal. we'll see.

Side note, I had a friend give me an old nitrous bottle, 1st step to building an IC fogger.. ?

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, Cerberus said:

Side note, I had a friend give me an old nitrous bottle, 1st step to building an IC fogger.. ?

Be careful with the Nitrous. Nitrous systems need more fuel / gas to go with them.  When using nitrous alone it must be used  judicially in small amounts to prevent leaning out the air fuel mix to dangerous levels. 

33 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Be careful with the Nitrous. Nitrous systems need more fuel / gas to go with them.  When using nitrous alone it must be used  judicially in small amounts to prevent leaning out the air fuel mix to dangerous levels. 

I appreciate the warning but this is not nitrous to be sprayed into the engine. When using nitrous to fog the intercooler (external spray to suck heat out of it) it will arguably require a little more fuel because of the cold air charge, but the temperature of the air charge in the intercooler will be detected by the charge air cooler temp sensor, and adjusted for by the computer.

Back in the day,  some performance guys took a brand new bone stock 3000GT VR4 (iirc) and fogged the intercooler with raw nitrous, which resulted in getting the car over 200mph.

A friend who has done a lot of crazy performance builds told me about a del sol that he was able to put down over 540whp on pump gas, running a tune for 100 octane fuel because of using nitrous to chill the IC

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 3

Got my car back today and the beast is back. It runs great, smooth and strong.  Found the problem with the FMIC, the weld popped open and can be easily fixed. I will steam clean, TIG weld, and pressure test. Thinking about selling it after it is reconditioned. With Garrett core like this one has, Ultimate Performance charges $925. Someone is going to get a good deal . That is unless I keep it as a spare.  Fits 15+ Ford Edge Sport/Lincoln Nautilus 19+ Edge ST 2.7 .

IMG_0673.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I decided to send the FMIC to Ultimate Performance for them to rebuild. I was going to re-weld the burst seam, but U.P. said they will cut off the end tanks and put brand new tanks on the core rebuilding the entire IC. These new tanks are built stronger to prevent this kind of damage ever happening again. Their customer service is great and they are doing the work at no charge. They stand behind their products.  

• Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, Cerberus said:

finally got around to changing the rear 3 spark plugs. (2.7 EcoBoost)

i did the front three 10 months ago, but they were in very good shape so i was in no hurry to deal with the rears due to the access issue.

Interesting observation BTW; the rears (original OEM plugs) came out much dirtier with noticeable carbon on the insulator,  than the fronts came out, which i presume is at least partly due to the 170 thermostat.

Aaaand now I realize that i installed the one step colder plugs, NGK LTR7BHX 95605.. 

maybe not ideal. we'll see.

rear bank is where the heat gets trapped, in every type of engine in our vehicles. you might think the 2.7 is not as crammed as the 3.5 is, but it is, due to the extra parts and hosiery required.

and air flow is not even across the cylinders. this was proven when direct meth injection systems (1 Nozzle per port) were developed for the 3.5 EB.

• Like 1

I just returned the damaged FMIC to Ultimate Performance to be rebuilt. They are going to put brand new end tanks on the Garrett core. It should be better than new when finished ( when it was new to me ) as they have improved the reliability by reinforcing the end tanks. Upon its return I am going to offer it for sale here in the classifieds. If you are interested in getting a FMIC for your Edge Sport or ST and don't want to pay $925 for one, contact me now and we will work something out.

• Like 1

I am a bit bummed. Ford has been building cars for 110 years or so. Why have they made them more difficult to work on over the years? My '22 has had a few modifications to get them produced, and one of them is an anemic single-tone horn on my Titanium edition. I decided to enhance it with a more robust horn. The original horn sits under the driver-side headlight. It is easy to see it there, but to work on it, one must remove the entire front bumper. I'm not sure I want to get that deeply involved.

Next I decided to add a dash cam setup. My model has a parking feature and it needs to be hard-wired, which normally is just bringing 3 wires to the fuse panel and plugging them into existing fuses (This should be easy-peasy.) On the Edge, they have mounted the fuse panel about 15 inches behind the panel and the owners manual states "To access the fuses in the body control module fuse box, contact an authorized dealer."  It could have been mounted where one can see and replace fuses easily, but Ford chose to mount it in a nearly impossible-to-reach area. 

I'll probably be able to do these mods, but it certainly is not in the DIY category for most owners.

• Like 1

You don't need to pull the front bumper to replace the horn. I turned the wheel all the way one way (I believe passenger side) & unscrewed the fender liner screws & gives you access to the horn. I may have loosened an access panel in front of the wheel, but I don't remember. 

I purchased an OEM horn from a 15-18 edge & it was plug & play. Pretty easy actually. Probably 15 -  20 minutes total from start to finish. 

This guy removed the headlight to gain access, same principle. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 4

2022 has not been kind to my 2018 Edge.....

a) My wife got into a an accident in March and I had to put it in the Body Shop for a week.  I had a Lexus NX as a rental but it really did not compare.

b) I broke the passenger side mirror this past Saturday when backing out of my parking space.  I checked with the dealership and, to fix it, it will cost me $1000 #neededadefibrillatorafterhearingthatprice

I am scouring junkyards to find a matching replacement. I am also going to call my body shop to see how much it will cost for them to replace it.

c) Still hunting for that ever-elusive Vignale grille.

Edited by PrinzII
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Try a salvage yard you can find  a mirror with the correct color at a substantial savings. You can even search on line now. Salvage yards will  find the part and they will ship it to you. I got used turbos from a salvage yard and had them rebuilt and upgraded. Saved a bunch and now have awesome hybrid turbos that look stock from outside ?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, PrinzII said:

2022 has not been kind to my 2018 Edge.....

a) My wife got into a an accident in March and I had to put it in the Body Shop for a week.  I had a Lexus NX as a rental but it really did not compare.

b) I broke the passenger side mirror this past Saturday when backing out of my parking space.  I checked with the dealership and, to fix it, it will cost me $1000 #neededadefibrillatorafterhearingthatprice

I am scouring junkyards to find a matching replacement. I am also going to call my body shop to see how much it will cost for them to replace it.

c) Still hunting for that ever-elusive Vignale grille.

regarding c.

I looked them up when I was considering a 15-18, I bought a 19 instead.

One is the front camera version, one isn't.  US dealers should be able to get one.  There's some on the Ebay ~ over $1,000

GT4Z-8200-VA

GT4Z-8200-XA (think this is front camera version)

This member bought a used one from overseas and then resold here stateside.

• Like 1

It all started in early August when the the car lost boost. And then the dominos started to fall.  ... Bought a brand new FMIC $$  from Ultimate Performance and had it installed at Galpin Auto Sports $$. When working on the IC the tech noticed that the brake pads were shot... So new front and rear pads were ordered from Rotora $$ and installed today $$. Got lucky as the discs still have life in them, but all 4 will need replacing next time pads are needed.  When the tires came off to install the brake pads, we discovered all 4 tires were completely shot and unsafe.  So... 4 new tires were ordered today $$ to be installed tomorrow $$. Also did an oil & filter change at 2,500 miles $$.  The car required all this maintenance and I defiantly used up every bit of life in the parts before any damage was done.   August was full of surprises and very expensive, but now my car is is in tip top shape. :)

The uneven wear is caused by the track alignment settings I use. It makes the car stick like glue and turn in great at the cost of tire life.   Lots of people get 40K out of just one set of tires this is my 5th or 6th set in 40K and my third set of brake pads.  The price of living just one block off Mulholland :shift:

You can see the Bilstein shock and the H&R spring that transformed the suspension for the better.  The tires were dangerous to drive on and the damage could not be seen by just walking around the car. 

IMG_0723.JPG

• Like 3