SYNC Support Reporting for Duty

FordIVTteam

Hi there,

My name is Antonio, I provide troubleshooting assistance for the SYNC, MyFord, and MyFord Touch equipment. I've been with the In-Vehicle Technology team here at Ford Motor Company for more than two years. I've had various responsibilities since I started on the phones, went on to serve as a Senior Business Analyst (fancy title for supervisor), then moved over to our Social Media team where I am currently. Bottom line: I like helping. :)

I'll be lurking these forums each day in search of opportunities to add value. You don't have to post a thread though - If you have any SYNC questions or related concerns, feel free to shoot me a personal message. I will respond in kind as quickly as I can.

Warm Regards,

Antonio

• Like 2

Welcome Antonio.

Why is the RDS function disabled in MFT/MLT equipped vehicles in Gulf countries (GCC)?

It is working in other cars including other Ford vehicles not equipped with MFT/MLT.

Hi omar302,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Most "why" questions require product development knowledge, which I have no authority to speak on. Product design, development, and pricing inquiries are unfortunately beyond my scope.

Antonio

Thanks Antonio, can I at least request that you pass on the message to the concerned people/Department? unfortunately, the reply I received from Ford's Middle East customer service is that RDS is not available in our market, hence the car would not show it. Though I explained to him my Taurus had it working & RDS is available.

I would really like that you pass it on they get the correct facts.

• 3 months later...

Hello Antonio,

May I ask if any updates are in the works for older SYNC systems? I have a 2010 AWD Edge Limited w/ Nav (Gen1 v3.1) and would really like a little more Bluetooth support for current phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Carlo - bluetooth support for Sync is fine - it's usually the cell phone provider that's not providing the proper profile support. E.g. my 2008 Edge supported text messages to speech way back in 2008 with a Motorola RAZR phone but other phones did not work and still don't work today. That tells me the problem is in the phone not sync.

If you think about it - what other bluetooth devices read text messages? Not many, so the cell phone providers just haven't made it a priority.

Hello Antonio,

May I ask if any updates are in the works for older SYNC systems? I have a 2010 AWD Edge Limited w/ Nav (Gen1 v3.1) and would really like a little more Bluetooth support for current phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hi Carlo74,

I'd be happy to double check the software status on your vehicle for you. Feel free to PM your VIN. There's truth to akirby's response: phone functionality is weighted a little more heavily in the direction of the phone manufacturers. Our engineers do what they can to keep SYNC as device agnostic as possible, but there just isn't a production standard in place that allows for all phones to offer full compatibility. If you're having any functionality issues specifically, shoot over the details along with your info and I'll help you out. :)

Antonio

Edited by FordIVTteam

Thank you both for responding so quickly!

While I agree that not all phones/carriers are created equal, these features work just fine on a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee, same phone, same carrier. I have tried everything I can on my end with the phone and operating system. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have installed every Android version available to date. That includes all versions of ICS and JB as well as KitKat 4.4 and none of these work. I have paired my phone to my friends jeep and everything works first shot. I will state that I am rooted and run custom ROMs on my phone but even going back to stock from the factory, it still does not work.

What does not work for me is: Text Messaging and Bluetooth data such as song title, artist name, elapsed time etc. I can't even access my music library through Bluetooth. My only option is to press the >> button on the steering wheel to advance to the next song and hope its one I want to hear! Same goes for Pandora streaming...I only see the name of my phone and no other details what so ever.

Antonio, I tried shoot you a PM with my VIN# but I don't have 5 posts yet so it will not let me. I'll post some pics later to boost my credentials on this site and try again later. In the meantime, your help is greatly appreciated :-)

Edited by Carlo74

Here goes nothing...lol

Also, to answer your question, akirby. Having a USB drive inserted I can view most information such as song title, album, artist. No album art and no ability to change the elapsed time played vs time left. No biggie. Those I can live without

Edited by Carlo74

I am having some of the same issues as carlo74, text messaging shows as not supported (also a samsung galaxy s3). I do get album art and song title when available on my music library but not when using pandora. I have read on android forums that some but not all sg3 users have gotten it to work but their steps do not work for me. I was going to try and update the software on sync but everything else has been working pretty well so did not want t risk it for now just for text messages.

why does the color of the floor and door lighting change back to default after turning car off? Never did this until the last update? I also hope that Ford is working on a new interface for MFT as it has become very outdated, at least in my eyes.

I have this same issue as do many others. Master Reset does not fix it. And it's hard to believe we all have all of a sudden expereienced bad APIM after the latest software update.

For me its not everytime... sometimes it can be the next start, other times it can be a few days. But it will not hold the previous ambient light settings... both color nor brightness.

Rayo

... I have paired my phone to my friends jeep and everything works first shot. I will state that I am rooted and run custom ROMs on my phone ...

What does not work for me is: Text Messaging and Bluetooth data such as song title, artist name, elapsed time etc. I can't even access my music library through Bluetooth. ...

Hi Carlo74,

Thanks for sending over your info, I was able to pull up your SYNC details without a problem. I'm seeing that your vehicle is currently running v3.1 - which is the most current version available intended for your vehicle. There may be a dealer-level install available, but I can't recommend pursuing that avenue unless your system is exhibiting a specific set of symptoms. Your dealer can provide further consultation on your software options, though I'm not sure what kind of service fees might be involved.

That particular SYNC w/nav platform doesn't support the song metadata streaming via Bluetooth with even non-rooted S3 devices. I have a Galaxy S4 that behaves the same way. The S3 appears to render SYNC's basic features, such as Bluetooth streaming and voice-dialing, but I do not see text messaging as a tested and compatible function: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-navigation

I am having some of the same issues as carlo74, text messaging shows as not supported (also a samsung galaxy s3). I do get album art and song title when available on my music library but not when using pandora. I have read on android forums that some but not all sg3 users have gotten it to work but their steps do not work for me. I was going to try and update the software on sync but everything else has been working pretty well so did not want t risk it for now just for text messages.

Hi chris006,

It's important to note that there are varying levels of functionality between different devices and versions of SYNC. The compatibility chart for Carlo's version of SYNC is above, while you can find the compatibility chart for basic SYNC without nav here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync

Testing for device compatibility is ongoing, so the results posted on that page are subject to change without notice. Some devices exhibit partial functionality, but are not considered to be fully compatible unless they can render the SYNC feature consistently and without error.

I have this same issue as do many others. Master Reset does not fix it. And it's hard to believe we all have all of a sudden expereienced bad APIM after the latest software update.

For me its not everytime... sometimes it can be the next start, other times it can be a few days. But it will not hold the previous ambient light settings... both color nor brightness.

Rayo

Hi Rayo,

If your vehicle is equipped with the MyFord Touch system, the ambient lighting behavior you described has been addressed by a service bulletin released to the dealers. There's a lapse in memory retention that's taking place in the APIM that requires a reprogramming. Consult with your dealership for assistance with scheduling a service appointment to have that issue resolved.

Antonio

Hello everyone!

My name is Rebecca and I'll be taking over for Antonio. For the next few days, I'll be lurking on the threads to see where I can be of help. If you need anything SYNC, MyFord Touch, navigation-related, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm here Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m ET. :)

Rebecca