2012 Sport and already problems

carsick30

Ok, so I guess this is more of a vent session, but I just can't help it. 2012 Sport is my 8th car, not counting wife's, its predecessors all having been imports. I just did not have faith in American manufacturing I guess. Finally, seeing the design, performance, and overall improvement strides Ford has taken, I decided to pull the trigger on the Sport. Below is the running list of issues, which I will try to keep updated, after miles of mild, non-aggressive, short work commute and grocery fetching.

7,500 miles

1. PTU seals fail to cause burning smell all around, and in, the car.
2. Sync has to go through major dealer-only software update, outside of the standard MyTouch, to avoid total fail.
3. Audio module fail to cause loss of voice commands, voice prompts, etc.
4. Re-alignment (no potholes, obstacles hit). Issues 1-4 took 3 separate dealer trips to resolve.
5. 3.7L V6 claiming 305hp at the crank should feel and take off better than a 4-banger slug. Meanwhile I get smoked by my wife's Subaru Tribeca as if i were standing still. The 22" rims are apparently partly to blame. The paddle shifters are rendered useless for that "sporty" feel.This cannot be "fixed" without paying more money to downgrade to lighter, smaller wheels and possible pro-tune. Paying more to downgrade for improved performance is an oxymoron I cannot process mentally.

8,500 miles
6. Faulty rear passenger tire valve.

8,600 miles

7. SYNC not recognizing 2nd generation iPod. No changes/updates made to system since last functional time. Tried "master reset" myself without wasting more time at dealer's. Pulling negative battery cable did not work. Waiting to confirm other methods. Dealer finagled something and it's working.

8,900 miles

8. Out of the blue starts emitting high pitch whine. Power steering pump screw leak. Fixed by dealer.

9,200 miles

9. Got letter in mail about possible brake booster fail as described in this thread: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13888-13n02-extended-warranty-coverage-on-brake-booster/. Basically, now having to think twice about breaking hard and making dealer look at it every time I'm in. It may fail, it may not, but I don;t want to find out when on highway.

Edited by carsick30

Yeah, you would think the PTU issues would be history, but then so should the door latch issues. Did you buy the Edge brand new? Have you checked the transmission fluid level? A low level of fluid anywhere in the transmission/PTU/RDU will affect the "feel"/acceleration of your vehicle.

I have the lowly 3.5L with the lower output, but it MOVES when I step into it. The thing to keep in mind is that due to adaptive learning, the PCM is set into a "frugal" mode, conserving fuel, and thus being detrimental to acceleration. If you throw in a couple of aggressive driving sessions, that will help the PCM be responsive like you expect it to be. Or go drastic and disconnect the battery for a while to force the PCM to enter learning mode immediately :)

Ok, so I guess this is more of a vent than feedback solicitation, but I just can't help it. 2012 Sport is my 8th car, not counting wife's, its predecessors all having been imports. I just did not have faith in American manufacturing I guess. Finally, seeing the design, performance, and overall improvement strides Ford has taken, I decided to pull the trigger on the Sport. Where are we at after less than 1 year and only 7,500 miles of mild, non-aggressive, short work commute and grocery fetching?

1. PTU seals fail to cause burning smell all around, and in, the car.

2. Sync has to go through major dealer-only software update, outside of the standard MyTouch, to avoid total fail.

3. Audio module fail to cause loss of voice commands, voice prompts, etc.

4. Re-alignment (no potholes, obstacles hit).

5. Not a technical issue per se, but a 3.7L V6 claiming 305hp at the crank should feel and take off better than a 4-banger slug. Meanwhile I get smoked by my wife's Subaru Tribeca as if i were standing still.

I mean, what gives? I thought they were past the old stereotype of constant issues and were re-gaining momentum. Not great owner impression for someone who finally decided to give them a shot. Granted, all issues were covered by warranty/dealer, but this is the sort of thing you might expect from a Huyndai, not the backbone of American automanufacturing.

Thanks for endulging the rant.

Hi carsick30,

I can offer some troubleshooting assistance with your SYNC concerns. Are you still having performance issues even after your software was updated by the dealer?

Antonio

Yeah, you would think the PTU issues would be history, but then so should the door latch issues. Did you buy the Edge brand new? Have you checked the transmission fluid level? A low level of fluid anywhere in the transmission/PTU/RDU will affect the "feel"/acceleration of your vehicle.

I have the lowly 3.5L with the lower output, but it MOVES when I step into it. The thing to keep in mind is that due to adaptive learning, the PCM is set into a "frugal" mode, conserving fuel, and thus being detrimental to acceleration. If you throw in a couple of aggressive driving sessions, that will help the PCM be responsive like you expect it to be. Or go drastic and disconnect the battery for a while to force the PCM to enter learning mode immediately :)

They were supposed tocheck all the levels when PTU seals got replaced. I can;t imagine they would not have. I also get that its curb weight offsets the power "feel", but I still don't like the lack of throttle response. PCM approach may be a good idea.

Hi carsick30,

I can offer some troubleshooting assistance with your SYNC concerns. Are you still having performance issues even after your software was updated by the dealer?

Antonio

Ironically, soon after they upgraded the software, the audio module failed. In shop now getting replaced. So, the screen navigation seems fine, but no voice commands are working and there is no voice feedback, obviously. I guess the only other issue is that it still sometimes does not "see" the USB drive (iPod) connected to it and I have to go into A/V Entertainment section, exit, and then it starts seeing it. Just annoying.

Ironically, soon after they upgraded the software, the audio module failed. In shop now getting replaced. So, the screen navigation seems fine, but no voice commands are working and there is no voice feedback, obviously. I guess the only other issue is that it still sometimes does not "see" the USB drive (iPod) connected to it and I have to go into A/V Entertainment section, exit, and then it starts seeing it. Just annoying.

carsick30,

Please keep me in loop and shoot a PM if anything else comes up!

Antonio

My MKX with the 18" wheels hauls butt! I find the 3.7 to be much more powerful than the 3.5 in my Edge. I would be confident that I could out accelerate a Tribeca!

Unless the gigantic wheels cause it to be more sluggish, I would say you might have a problem somewhere.

I've heard others say that the 22" wheels may make the difference, but I just don't see how. The wheel size is big, but the tire is low profile. So, the overall diameter of wheel + tire should really not be that much bigger and the rolling distance per rotation not that much longer. Maybe the added weight of the wheel offsets the performance, but I don't think it's that much heavier. Plus, that would mean that putting anything of weight in the trunk would make the truck sluggish to respond every time. I just put a replacement drop-in K&N filter instead of stock. Could be in my head, but seemed to make a little difference. By the way, this whole power feel issue makes the paddle shifters seem completely useless. I am getting no additional pickup feel from using those and shifting at higher RPMs.

I've heard others say that the 22" wheels may make the difference, but I just don't see how. The wheel size is big, but the tire is low profile. So, the overall diameter of wheel + tire should really not be that much bigger and the rolling distance per rotation not that much longer. Maybe the added weight of the wheel offsets the performance, but I don't think it's that much heavier. Plus, that would mean that putting anything of weight in the trunk would make the truck sluggish to respond every time. I just put a replacement drop-in K&N filter instead of stock. Could be in my head, but seemed to make a little difference. By the way, this whole power feel issue makes the paddle shifters seem completely useless. I am getting no additional pickup feel from using those and shifting at higher RPMs.

It's the added weight that makes it slower. Even a few lbs adds up when you multiply it by 4 and move the weight further away from the center of the wheel.

These certainly confirmed it. So, basically, the bigger engine doesn't even offset the loss of performance due to the "bling factor". This is definitely an issue. I will keep a running total of problems vs mileage on this post.

The nice thing is, since the 3.7L is shared with the Mustang, you can probably utilize the same upgrades the ponycar owners do. Then throw a tune on it to burn some rubber. Look up BobC (Bob C?)'s posts to get a glimpse into this.

Burn something I'm sure.... Like the transmission internals! The 3.7s still use the 6F50, right? The 3.7's output is right at the limit for that trans right out of the box I think.

I'm sure the Mustang's RWD trans is probably a bit stouter than ours.

The nice thing is, since the 3.7L is shared with the Mustang, you can probably utilize the same upgrades the ponycar owners do. Then throw a tune on it to burn some rubber. Look up BobC (Bob C?)'s posts to get a glimpse into this.

No way. Can't void warranty this early on. Besides, the idea is to buy an all-around performer and appearance in one package right from the dealer without having to add anything while still having the warranty peace of mind. I already thought of intakes, pro tune, and all that, but I've been down that road before with previous 2 cars and promised to stop.

• Like 1

The 3.7 also uses the 6F50. The SHO uses a beefed up 6F55 so I think it's safe to say that the 6F50 won't handle a lot more torque than stock. In Ford terminology 6F50 means it can handle 500 lb/ft of torque at the input shaft. But before you get carried away that's AFTER the torque converter so you have to account for that. For reference the Explorer/Ranger/Lincoln LS RWD tranny was the 5R55 and it couldn't handle much more than 325 hp or so. You could probably do a mild tune for an extra 5-15 hp but I wouldn't try to do more than that.

• Like 1

From here,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

It states that Ford claims the 6F50 was designed to handle 300 hp (224 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m).

On the other hand, I remember that the 2009 (or maybe 2010) had improved fuel economy because of some changes made to the transmission, but I couldn't find the article.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of issues. Conversely, I have a 2011 Sport with 60,000 miles that has never has 1 issue. No PTU seals, no audio or Sync issues, nada. As for performance, I put an AFE dry filter in it, and my GTech pro says 6.5-6.7 to 60 consistently. With a Tribeca running about 7.8 to 60 under perfect conditions, I doubt you get "smoked". But hey, good luck with the repairs and remember that you would spend $10-20 thousand more for a comparable import such as an X3 Sport, X5 sport 3.0, Audi Q5 3.2, ML350 or the like and have just as many or more issues. My "other" car is a 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8, maybe you should take a look at that, I smoke everything under an $80 grand window sticker (except those pesky Corvettes). I get 12 MPG doing it, but its fun!

Good luck

Wow, that's a lot of issues. Conversely, I have a 2011 Sport with 60,000 miles that has never has 1 issue. No PTU seals, no audio or Sync issues, nada. As for performance, I put an AFE dry filter in it, and my GTech pro says 6.5-6.7 to 60 consistently. With a Tribeca running about 7.8 to 60 under perfect conditions, I doubt you get "smoked". But hey, good luck with the repairs and remember that you would spend $10-20 thousand more for a comparable import such as an X3 Sport, X5 sport 3.0, Audi Q5 3.2, ML350 or the like and have just as many or more issues. My "other" car is a 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8, maybe you should take a look at that, I smoke everything under an $80 grand window sticker (except those pesky Corvettes). I get 12 MPG doing it, but its fun!

Good luck

That's good to know that there are no problems on a 2011. I just drew the "short straw" with mine I guess. Don't get me wrong, the reason I went with it in the first place was the great design, great features, roominess, and comfort. I get that an "exact" equivalent in imports would run much more, but, that does not change the fact that I expect quality from a car in high $30s. The wife's Tribeca definitely runs a faster 1/4 mile than my Sport. I can't speak for published stats, but I am going from personal experience. This could be, again because of my PIM settings, or maybe some more internal problems that I have not discovered yet.

Our Sport wheels are the big problem here. They weigh in at just over 47lbs each. Then add the balance weights and TPMS and maybe your at 48lbs. If you bring them down to a 20" lightweight wheel you can easily shave off 12-15lbs at each corner on the wheel alone! The weight of a 20" tire will further reduce the weight of the wheel unit and acceleration and braking are vastly improved! Want another benefit? You'll get upwards of 2-4MPG better fuel efficiency.

Our Sport wheels are the big problem here. They weigh in at just over 47lbs each. Then add the balance weights and TPMS and maybe your at 48lbs. If you bring them down to a 20" lightweight wheel you can easily shave off 12-15lbs at each corner on the wheel alone! The weight of a 20" tire will further reduce the weight of the wheel unit and acceleration and braking are vastly improved! Want another benefit? You'll get upwards of 2-4MPG better fuel efficiency.

I've heard someone else say something similar. It makes sense, but completely defeats the purpose of paying for both looks and performance to begin with. Basically the buyer spends more money of a higher-end model, but then has to spend even more money "simplifying it" to meet expectations, firgure, what, another $2,000 for decent set of 20s wrapped in good all-season rubber? That's crazy. Ford should have compensated for this in the first place with either more quality lighter weight wheels or better engine tune.

• 2 weeks later...