Edge remote start / heating

I had my dealer install a remote start for my '12 Edge but it does not turn on the heat controls until the key is inserted, defeating the purpose of a remote start. I have read this is how it is designed but does Ford offer different remote start units that will turn the heat on or would I need to go with an aftermarket one?

Is it a Ford accessory? How does the fob look like? Is it a new key with an extra button? or an additional fob with a single button?

If it is a Ford accessory, their should be a new setting in the instrument cluster settings were you can select the options for climate control that are described in the Owners Manual. After installing the remote start, the dealer would enable the additional settings.

There are 3 types offered by Ford, you can check them here: http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/edge/2012/electronics/remote-start.html

• Like 1

It is a Ford fob. Almost identical to the original fob but with the 2x button added. It looks to be the 100 Series but I believe the manual says the dual heat controls wont run the previous settings until the key is inserted and turned to the on position. To change the settings, is it on the dash or Sync screen (which crashed and is being replaced)? Thanks for the assistance.

Mine works. I dont think it turns on until the engine heats up. I would set the auto start to 10 minutes. My heated seats turn on too, but when I hit the Push to start button I have to turn them on again manually. I get in my Edge with hot seats and heat going. But mine is a factory installed with push button start.

Edited by CinnamonEdge

I did not have this issue with my 2011 Edge but do with my 2012. I went through the options on the dash and it seemed like everything was good but no luck. After going back and checking the manual it distinctly says the heating controls will not operate by remote starter until the key is inserted. Thursday it goes in to have the Sync unit replaced and I will ask them about what can be done with the remote start.

I did not have this issue with my 2011 Edge but do with my 2012. I went through the options on the dash and it seemed like everything was good but no luck. After going back and checking the manual it distinctly says the heating controls will not operate by remote starter until the key is inserted. Thursday it goes in to have the Sync unit replaced and I will ask them about what can be done with the remote start.

Let me know how the dealer visit goes and I'll jump in if needed.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? :)

Todd

Still going over the settings and the remote still doesn't turn the heat on after the new module was installed. It also resets previous settings when you put the key in and to on. I also notice now that the gas readings fluctuate more as I had more mileage left after the visit than when I dropped it off and it filled to 400 miles which I've never seen it do when filling the tank. I will have to call for some specific answers on the remote and if going aftermarket voids anything.

Still going over the settings and the remote still doesn't turn the heat on after the new module was installed. It also resets previous settings when you put the key in and to on. I also notice now that the gas readings fluctuate more as I had more mileage left after the visit than when I dropped it off and it filled to 400 miles which I've never seen it do when filling the tank. I will have to call for some specific answers on the remote and if going aftermarket voids anything.

Let me know if you decide to head back to your dealer.

Todd

"Still going over the settings and the remote still doesn't turn the heat on after the new module was installed."

I have had this issue with MKX, Third APIM later still not working. Dealer has contacted "Tech hotline assistance on

5/9/13 while having the APIM programed. Could not resolve this issue. I was told to leave it in last setting and it would

work. 'NaDa'

This feature has preformed 6 times in three years. Surprises me every time it happens.

JC

With the weather in NJ this winter being so cold I have it set so the car runs for 15 minutes with the sync screen climate set manually. When I get in after running it remotely my settings are off and just the defrost is on. It was so much easier with my 08 Escape, simple knobs and the heat came on as I had left it. The Sync is electronic overkill for me.

• 6 years later...
Guest Steve A.

I have two 2017 Ford Edges, and the remote start used to turn on the heater, as well as the heated seats and steering wheel.  But this year that is not happening.  Neither the seats or steering wheel are warmed up during a remote start.  What could have changed?  The manual says “You can switch this feature on or off and adjust the settings using the information display.”  But I have not been able to find this option on any display - what am I missing?

• 1 year later...