What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

One thing for sure ever since I bought the 2011 Ford Edge for the wife I have been less worried about her being able to get around. The TB caused/causes me all sort of issues with it constantly needing this or that repaired. If I had a garage work on it I would be nearing 4 thousand in repair bills on it in less than two years. The Edge is a far more relieable vehicle.

Found a Duralast transmission torque mount with a warranty. Autozone part that is not an ANCHOR part. Anchor makes a lot of torque mounts/engine mounts. They just look like they were thrown together by some highschool kid with a hot glue gun. Pricing is mid range and looks like an original ford part in side by side comparisions in photos. Once i get the part. then the time. MercyGirl will be put to work again. Should have the sway bar link and the first ever Ford Edge Transmission torque mount youtube video on line soon. Plus as a bonus a hopefully last ever TB COP video with good results. Maybe someday I better camera too.

Edited by macbwt

Transmission Torque mount might be in by Friday. Sway bar link I am picking up. TB coils by Friday hopefully. Either way something is getting repaired this weekend. I have a short day Friday so my afternoon is open if the parts show up on time early Friday morning. Will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

macbwt,

Ā 

Have you posted anywhere a list with dates/mileage/item/cost of the things you have fixed/replaced (maybe a link to a "read only" spreadsheet in a dropbox area)? That would be real helpful for those of us hanging on to our edges for a while. Might give us some insight on what what to expect and when. It would also be real helpful if we are planning to get rid of ours (i.e. costly repairs coming). I have a 2009 with 160,000 on it now. I am thinking on keeping it for at least another few years (~200,000). Reviewing your list might help determine if I want to get rid of it earlier or keep it longer.

Ā 

Thanks!

• Like 2

I will see what I can put together. A fair amount of the work is just parts and skinned knuckles, but at least you would get an idea. Keep in mind my driving is far different then most folks.

macbwt,

Ā 

Have you posted anywhere a list with dates/mileage/item/cost of the things you have fixed/replaced (maybe a link to a "read only" spreadsheet in a dropbox area)? That would be real helpful for those of us hanging on to our edges for a while. Might give us some insight on what what to expect and when. It would also be real helpful if we are planning to get rid of ours (i.e. costly repairs coming). I have a 2009 with 160,000 on it now. I am thinking on keeping it for at least another few years (~200,000). Reviewing your list might help determine if I want to get rid of it earlier or keep it longer.

Ā 

Thanks!

Sway bar link (Moog) is getting picked up from my client. Nice to have a client that is an automotive parts store. The Duralast transmission torque mount has been shipped should arrive Friday. The COP's for the Broken TB will arrive from Rock Auto on Thursday. Ultrapower is the name of the company. They are a clearance buyer of automotive parts from companies that sell parts or auctions off excess. The COP's will be a potluck thing. Ordered four wonder if I will get four different brands?

Stopped by a Ford Dealer and a salesman wanted to chat. Yep here we go....... I asked him what he would give me for it. Of course you know he asked how many miles? LOL I told it was high mileage considering the year. LOL He asked again and I said give it your best shot. He then said 180 thousand miles. I enjoy this. Anyway I told him 285K miles and he wanted to see the ODO. He said he has never seen an Edge anywhere near that many miles. Then tried to get me to buy a limited to replace it. Really? How about an SE? More to my liking less things to worry about.

Well ain't this a kick in the pants. Just chatted with Autozone on line because my order started coming up with another part number from the one that they said fit my Edge. Now it turns out that the part I ordered and they said would fit is no longer the correct part. So the torque mount I will be reeiving is not the correct part. I will have to take it to the nearest autozone to return and order the correct part now. So no video on the torque mount but a maybe short one on changing the sway bar link. Plus I can check the brakes and get the Edge up in the air and evaluate the torque mount and see if I need to order some new bolts to go with it. Then check the drivers side ball joint to see how worn it is. Lastly pray and then go out to the TB and install the COP's and pray again then turn the key and see what happens.

So far in my stopping at Ford dealers a very large number of AWD edges, but very few FWD edges. Almost 5-1 ratio. It may be rather hard to find that SE or SEL FWD 2011 I am looking for at the price I am willing to pay. Starting now and if it comes up buy it and park it while driving the Orange Crush until it can drive no more.

When salesmen email me about buying a used Ford Edge this is what I tell them. Sort of like fishing, but I bet I get a nibble and maybe even a bite. I set some rather tough perimeters, but this assures I get some workable offers. The next six months or so will tell as I will weed out the quick sell guys from the ones that want to deal. This by no means is the end of the Orange Crush. Due to the nature of my job I do not want to have my back against the wall if the Orange Crush suffers a serious breakdown. This way I have a backup that I can just load everything into and keep on moving.

Some perimeters I am looking for:

2011 or maybe 2012 Edge

Color White or Cinnamon metallic

FWD

3.5L primarily or a 2.0L (since this is a standard engine now I will not pay a premium of this engine)

Trim Level (SE or SEL) maybe Limited but price will have to be met.

No more than 70K miles

Price not to exceed 13K

And I will drive up to 250 miles to purchase a vehicle have done it many times before.

If you get one in these limits. Call me you may just get me to buy it before December

Ā 

Bill

Edited by macbwt

OK folks received the wrong Transmission torque mount. So some interesting news on the manufacturer of Duralast Autozone Transmission Torque mounts. They are made in Israel for ANCHOR industries, which is basically every sellers source for the Ford Edge. I am willing to bet they even make them for FORD based on the fact that they are right near the FORD head quarters in Michigan. That being said Rock Auto has them the cheapest so I am returning this one since it is not the right one and ordering from Rock Auto the least expensive Identical mount. Interesting development on how sourcing works. TB COP's are in so I will work on it tomorrow and the good news is once I get the TB running and the AC working I believe I have a buyer. Pray to get rid of it over and over. I also have the new swaybar link and once I remove it I will show a comparison to the cheap china part and a Moog part. You can see and feel the difference in the parts. The other good thing on the Moog is it requires no Allen wrenches!!!!!! They actually have a fastening nut at the base to hold with a real wrench and tighten the nut not to mention grease fittings. I actually look forward to this repair.

Edited by macbwt