Differences between 2011 and 2013 Edge Sport?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have been long admiring the Ford Edge Sport and it is finally time for me to step up and purchase one. I do not have the finances to purchase brand new, so I have been waiting for the used ones to come down to a price that works for me. That being said...

Price aside for the moment, are there any differences between a 2011 Edge Sport and a 2013 Edge Sport with identical specs and miles, aside from the obvious difference of one being an '11 and one being a '13?

I know that the Myford was an issue with the '11, but from what I understand there was an upgrade done (which provides the same software as what comes standard in the '13) that helped to fix the issues with this.

If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it because I am looking to purchase relatively soon and I have seen a few '11s around at good prices, but I didn't know if I would be regretting not buying a newer model year due to any differences between the 2. Of course, as far as money goes, if I tried to go with a '13 (or even '12 for that matter), it would likely cost a couple grand more at this point, so I didn't know if there were significant enough improvements to justify me paying more, or if I would be just as happy with an '11. Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure what year the Edge quit putting a hard drive in the radio that you could copy your CD's onto. I loved that feature in my wife's Acura. My 2013 Edge does not have a hard drive or 6 disc CD player, which I believe were available up until 2013?

I am enjoying the USB, BT streaming of Slacker, Pandora, etc to the radio I do have in it.

• Like 1

Media experience (ls973800,), they are the same.

The 2013 addded a sport mode to the transmission. That gives more aggressive shifting, though both have steering wheel mounted paddles.

Also the 2013 has a physical button for the hazard flashers, while 201102012 have a capacitive button.

In 2012, the side view mirrors became smaller with a option for led turn signal lights.

Some early 2011 builds had true dual exhaust, while later they changed to fake (dubbed quasi dual) exhaust.

True duals? Got any more info on this? If anyone on the forum has one of these OEM true duals, please post some pics/audio files/etc. TIA.

Check this thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/9097-2012-ford-edge-sport-single-exhaust/

I don't think anyone has solid information if there is actually true benefit to the true dual setup compared to the other. nor even a sound/noise comparison.

• Like 1

The earlier 2011+ Sport has two pipes from the manifolds back and two mufflers the later sports had two pipes into one muffler with two exits. Some earlier 2011 Sports The other 2011+ Edges have a single larger pipe that runs from a Y-pipe back to a single muffler that has two exhaust exits. If you look under an standard Edge you'll see that it has the exhaust mounts on it for dual exhaust.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. So it doesn't seem like there is much of a difference. So specs wise, driving a 2011 is basically just like driving a 2013.

Of course, since that post I now have a dilemma on my hands.

I originally thought I would go with a 2011 all the way because of that, and because of the price difference. But since then I have thought that if it was between a Ford Certified PreOwned 2011 with 25,000 miles and a Ford CPO 2013 with say 5,000 miles, I may be better off spending a few thousand more on the 2013 because of resale value in the future (a 2013 being more "valuable" than a 2011), less wear and tear in general, and then also I'd be getting a vehicle that's probably only been driven about 6 months. So, in essence, it's almost like getting a new vehicle without the new vehicle price. There's also the fact that it's under warranty for 2 more years, or 20,000 more miles at the time of purchase based on original factory warranty.

Any thoughts on that???

• Like 1

I suppose I should be thinking like that since both are "affordable" for me. Based on the price (and from what I found on websites indicating whether it's a good deal), both seem to be about equal in that regard. That said, it would seem like you would say go with the newer model, even though it will obviously cost me more. I find it interesting though how kbb for example will give the car a certain value, and then another site like it will value it significantly less. I think the only thing that is/was swaying me was the fact that since there is no major differences between the 11 and the 13 and the specs are the same, I was feeling apprehensive about going with the 13 simply due to the newer model year. But considering it would have significantly less miles, perhaps it's a better move with both deals respectively being about the same.

Problem is, I'm as big of a deal hunter as most when it comes to buying anything, but since I'm not buying new, and there is limited availability when it comes to the color/options I want in a certified used Sport, I don't want to end up waiting around for a deal that might never come, especially when dealers research current market value, and pehaps I should just buy when it's available after trying to negotiate the best price I can get on it.

Ok, just a note on the 2011, pre-May 2011 builds have 2 issues that are covered by TSBs', one related to the transmission and one to the engine. So I woud at least make sure it is a May 2001 build or newer.

Any info on those TSB's? Mine was built sometime in 2010. Haven't had any tranny or engine problems to speak of though.

TI may be better off spending a few thousand more on the 2013 because of resale value in the future (a 2013 being more "valuable" than a 2011),

Any thoughts on that???

This is exactly backwards. If you're worried about resale value in the future, buying the oldest car will always be the better choice. The newer the car, the steeper the depreciation curve. For example you might spend $2000 more on the 2013, but 5 years from now that 2013 will only be worth $1000 more than the 2011. So the net result is you will have paid $1000 more for the 2013 vs 2011. Only you can decide if the other benefits of the 2013 (warranty, repairs and such) are worth that $1000.

Any info on those TSB's? Mine was built sometime in 2010. Haven't had any tranny or engine problems to speak of though.

It doesn't necessarily mean all vehicles are having a problem, but anyway these are the TSB numbers:

TSB 12-1-17 for Engine Ticking Noise, built on or before 1-May-2011.

TSB 11-12-10_Tranny Harsh Bump, built on or before 15-April-2011

Edited by omar302

Actually it is of a concern. Many owners faced far more inconvenience, some reported that it would feel like being hit from behind, while others said it put them in a critical situation due to the vehicle not accelerating (being in neutral for a moment). It is to the point that the official repair involves modifications on the valve body.

Actually it is of a concern. Many owners faced far more inconvenience, some reported that it would feel like being hit from behind, while others said it put them in a critical situation due to the vehicle not accelerating (being in neutral for a moment). It is to the point that the official repair involves modifications on the valve body.

It's not of concern to me because it's not that noticeable to me. Sure, if it was worse I'd consider getting it looked at. Not saying it's not possibly an issue for others.

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure what year the Edge quit putting a hard drive in the radio that you could copy your CD's onto. I loved that feature in my wife's Acura. My 2013 Edge does not have a hard drive or 6 disc CD player, which I believe were available up until 2013?

I am enjoying the USB, BT streaming of Slacker, Pandora, etc to the radio I do have in it.

I agree. I tried to hook up a 500 GB hard drive to the USB port and it didn't recognized it... I even tried it on the to head mount screens... fail. But I notice that the XM/Siris does record live broadcast, so I wonder where it gets stored.

My Edge with MFT lets Sirius record music so you can rewind and play a song or songs over again.

Holy Crap! I had no idea the "replay" feature existed with Sirius. You can rewind/replay up to 45 minutes of the current station. It resets when you change stations. So basically it's a DVR - or DAR in this case. Cool!