Oily residue under car

1102adam

• 7 months later...

Hope that's not black looking fluid? Did you smell it? Black would be more typical of the PTU overflowing its' vent. Otherwise, there is no overflow as such for the transmission fluid. It can leak at the trans-PTU seal though. I would suggest getting some engine degreaser and cleaning off that area to make sure you get a "clean" sample if it happens again.

Ā 

When was the last oil change? Sure hope it's not engine oil, WAY WAY too early.

I have a similar black oily residue on my passenger side.

Ā 

However, I look at the PTU and it looks dry in the area except some old residue on the block.

Ā 

Where is the PTU vent?

Edited by carguy75

It's a tube that sits on top of the PTU (power takeoff unit, AWD vehicles only) to allow expansion room for the PTU fluid during normal operation. Except that sometimes the fluid gets so heated that it spills out the tube. Ford has this issue on some models with the RDU (rear differential unit, AWD only) as well. Both have a TSB of replacing the vent with a longer tube to keep the fluid contained.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

It's a tube that sits on top of the PTU (power takeoff unit, AWD vehicles only) to allow expansion room for the PTU fluid during normal operation. Except that sometimes the fluid gets so heated that it spills out the tube. Ford has this issue on some models with the RDU (rear differential unit, AWD only) as well. Both have a TSB of replacing the vent with a longer tube to keep the fluid contained.

Thank you.

Ā 

I have just bought a loaded 2011 Edge SEL AWD with 22000 a few days ago, and just noticed that it leaves a oil spot on my garage floor near the front passenger side under the pulley/radiator area.

Ā 

I will take it to the dealer next week to address it, and look at the rear near the transmission since I noticed some oily residue near the PTU/rear engine area when I crawled underneath it for a more in-dept inspection.

Ā 

Not a good start to my new relationship with my Ford Edge or the dealership I bought the car from. :(

Ā 

Luckily, I bought an extended full comprehesive 36 month warranty to buff the remaining Ford powertrain warranty considering a Ford service guy told me over the phone that the fluid on the floor could be coming from the power steering pump,transmission cooler, or ac condenser which are not covered by the power train warranty. :)

Edited by carguy75

Hopefully this will be the only trouble spot for a while! PTU fluid is generally dark brown in color, and may have a stink to it. Power steering hoses can leak, not sured that's completely covered under warranty. Transmission cooler problems are rare, I do remember a forum member having an issue with that. AC condenser, not really.

• 2 weeks later...

My leaks turns out to be from a faulty AC condenser/transmission cooler per Ford service shop tech. :(

Ā 

The Ford service tech said that the AC condenser and transmission cooler are the same unit or inseparable, therefore if one fails then both have to be replaced.

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1

Yes, thankfully I bought a comprehensive warranty with zero deductible soon after buying the Edge through my bank since I got the car so cheap with low miles.

Ā 

We got a "good" deal on the Edge, however I am rethinking about buying cars from non-make specific dealers due to the surprises that always pop-up from these discount dealerships.

Ā 

If I did not buy the extended warranty I would be very very pissed about the situation since Ford's powertrain warranty do not help with the current issue, now I am just a little crossed and will not buy a car from that dealership again.

Ā 

Next used car I buy will be a Certified pre-owned.

Ā 

I got burned too many times with these cheap dealerships with cars that needed repairs that seemed like they were covered up instead of fixed before it was sold.

Ā 

FYI, my Edge had a very small leak that dripped slowly.

Ā 

I did not notice a leak on the black dealer parking lot, but it started to show on my light gray concrete garage floor after about a day or so.

Ā 

I decided to just keep the car due to the fact that I already paid for the extended warranty which will fix any problems in addition to the Ford powertrain warranty.

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...