2015 Order Guide: Update 4/2

You guys are missing the point. Nobody offers every single feature available. Mfrs have to pick and choose the features they offer on particular vehicles.

It's not fair to grumble about Ford leaving out certain features unless you also credit them for providing features the others don't. Or at least gig the other makes for the features the Edge has that they don't have.

It's also an entirely different discussion to say "Gee I wish the Edge had this feature" instead of "stupid Ford won't give us these features that are so easy to implement that everyone else has".

All I'm suggesting is to keep a little perspective when comparing one vehicle to another.

Akirby - All valid points. I've said all I'm going to say about TPMS, Trailer Tow Package - Class II option and the auto fold power mirrors after an explanation.

I don't understand the need for auto folding mirrors except on full sized vehicles trying to park in small garages.

I'm have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (width 66.5") and thinking about a 2015 Edge Sport (width 87.5"), so I'm gaining 21". My normal sized garage doesn't seem like I have an extra 21" of width. I thought it would be nice to shed 8.4" with the auto fold power mirrors. The 2015 Explorer is only 2.7" wider than the 2015 Edge. OK, I'm done talking about the auto fold power mirrors.

I looked at the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has a lot of great features but I like the look of the Edge much better. I can't see going off road in a $45K SUV. So I'm back to a CUV. I'm going to look at the 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2015/16 Ford Edge and 2015/16 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Leaning hard to the Edge/MKX. I've always like Ford's look. Round wheel wells, great exterior, clean interior.

Edited by JimPA

I hope they include the tire pressure monitoring feature on the 2015 Edge. The 2013 Edge lets you know one of your tires in low on pressure with a warning light in the gauge cluster, but it does not let you know which tire is low. So you have to guess which tire it is, and fill up each tire until the warning light goes off. I would not be surprised if they did not include it though.

OR you could go around with a tire pressure gauge and check each one of them. Not that hard. Plus you would find and fix any that needed air just before they set off the alarm.

I always check the pressures monthly (ok, really the first Saturday of every month but close enough). That's called maintainance. Takes 5 minutes plus you get more life out of your tires. Also check oil and all the other fluids.

• Like 1

OR you could go around with a tire pressure gauge and check each one of them. Not that hard. Plus you would find and fix any that needed air just before they set off the alarm.

I always check the pressures monthly (ok, really the first Saturday of every month but close enough). That's called maintainance. Takes 5 minutes plus you get more life out of your tires. Also check oil and all the other fluids.

No, you can walk around and check the tire pressure every month. I would rather check the tire pressure from behind the steering wheel. It seems the 2015 Edge might not have that option. I like having the computer let me know when there is low tire pressure as it does when there is an issue with the engine, seat belts, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A76qhcpA8s

All - This isn't about laziness or that we don't want to maintain our equipment. I have over 300K on a 2001 4Runner. I pull all the sticks and replace parts as required. I do my own maintenance for the most part. I replace brakes, batteries, starters, timing chains/belts, water pumps, shocks, struts etc. I even rotate my own tires most of the time because I can perform a visual inspection of brakes, and other parts. Plus it is faster than waiting in line and getting my lug nuts over tightened. Part of me wants to see if I could get 400K out of that old 4Runner.

bce - Think of a time pressure monitoring system like this. With a good TPMS, your tire pressures are monitored in real time as opposed to point in time. Plus if you are using a grade c pressure gauge, they are monitored with more accurate devices. I'm sure all of us take proper care of our equipment.

Blitz - We have to move onto new topics. We made our point and we are in the minority. I turned an idea into Ford Social to allow the information from the TPMS to appear on MyFord Touch. IMO that would be a better system than Nissan's TPMS. You could check the tire pressure from your house and leave early if your pressures were near the thresholds. Not sure if that system could provide instant feedback when filling the tires. MyFord Touch system latency may prevent that. Also I discovered some direct tire pressure sending units are capturing temperature of the tire but that may be overkill.

Edited by JimPA

Does anyone run nitrogen in their tires? What are your experiences?

I run a very precise mixture of 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. I have it custom mixed. :)

I've had pure nitrogen and there isn't any noticeable difference. Less moisture is the primary benefit over the long run.

All - This isn't about laziness or that we don't want to maintain our equipment. I have over 300K on a 2001 4Runner. I pull all the sticks and replace parts as required. I do my own maintenance for the most part. I replace brakes, batteries, starters, timing chains/belts, water pumps, shocks, struts etc. I even rotate my own tires most of the time because I can perform a visual inspection of brakes, and other parts. Plus it is faster than waiting in line and getting my lug nuts over tightened. Part of me wants to see if I could get 400K out of that old 4Runner.

bce - Think of a time pressure monitoring system like this. With a good TPMS, your tire pressures are monitored in real time as opposed to point in time. Plus if you are using a grade c pressure gauge, they are monitored with more accurate devices. I'm sure all of us take proper care of our equipment.

Blitz - We have to move onto new topics. We made our point and we are in the minority. I turned an idea into Ford Social to allow the information from the TPMS to appear on MyFord Touch. IMO that would be a better system than Nissan's TPMS. You could check the tire pressure from your house and leave early if your pressures were near the thresholds. Not sure if that system could provide instant feedback when filling the tires. MyFord Touch system latency may prevent that. Also I discovered some direct tire pressure sending units are capturing temperature of the tire but that may be overkill.

For the record - I totally agree that the individual tire pressures should be displayed since the computer already knows what they are. The only part we disagree on is how egregious it is if Ford doesn't give you that feature. Without it you still get the low tire warning - that doesn't change. And it's just as easy to refill the tires with a gauge instead of the car honking the horn. Much more precise too.

Would it be nice to see the individual tire pressures without getting out the gauge? Sure. I would be shocked if the 2015 mustang and F150 got that but not the Edge.

• Like 1

The filling station's very small compressors add a lot of moisture. At least a place that has a real compressor has a dryer or the mechanics are draining the water from the compressor's holding tank.

Akirby - Do you find that your custom mix hold pressure better in the hot/cold?

Permeation

Tire pressure decreases naturally due to permeation, which is the process of air going through the minute openings found in tires. Cold and hot temperatures also affect tire pressure. Tire pressure typically decreases more during warm weather than in cold weather. During cool weather, tire pressure can decrease by 1 or 2 lbs. a month and during warm weather tire pressure can decline by even more.

On average, for every 10 degree change in temperature, air pressure is altered by 1 lb. per square inch. As temperature between winter and summer can vary by as much as 50 degrees, tire pressure can fluctuate by as much as 5 lbs. per square inch within a year.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6944437_reasons-losing-tire-pressure.html

For the record - I totally agree that the individual tire pressures should be displayed since the computer already knows what they are. The only part we disagree on is how egregious it is if Ford doesn't give you that feature. Without it you still get the low tire warning - that doesn't change. And it's just as easy to refill the tires with a gauge instead of the car honking the horn. Much more precise too.

Would it be nice to see the individual tire pressures without getting out the gauge? Sure. I would be shocked if the 2015 mustang and F150 got that but not the Edge.

Akirby - "Much more precise too." depends on the gauge you are using. Many brand new time pressure gauge are not accurate and has terrible linearity, (more of an error at different points in the range of the device) plus the tire pressure gauge isn't very repeatable. Nissan TPMS's feedback is nice because you can get the tire pressures to be more equal side to side, IMO.

NOW I am done talking about TPMS.

Edited by JimPA

Akirby - "Much more precise too." depends on the gauge you are using. Many brand new time pressure gauge are not accurate and has terrible linearity, (more of an error at different points in the range of the device) plus the tire pressure gauge isn't very repeatable.

I use this one on a home compressor. I haven't verified the accuracy but the readout goes to 1/2 lb increments. And griots' stuff is usually good quality.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/digital+tire+inflating+gun.do?sortby=ourPicks

Akirby - Do you find that your custom mix hold pressure better in the hot/cold?

I honestly can't tell any difference between the two. On the Edge or other SUVs they would lose pressure regardless and unless you were taking it back to the tire store regularly for service it was a pain to top them off with pure Nitrogen.

The advantage to my custom mix is I can get it pretty much anywhere. For free. :)

The pressure printed on the door sticker is intended for air. The engineers perform all their testing and evaluation at cold inflation pressures that match the door sticker. If you fill your tires with nitrogen to the door sticker pressure, you will be running under inflated once the tires are up to temperature. If you do have leak and top up with air in just one tire, now you have unbalanced pressures in your tires.

This is why I don't bother with Nitrogen-fill, in fact I even "flushed" my tires with air when I took delivery of my new Fusion that the dealer supposedly filled with Nitrogen.

I don't know exactly how the system on the new Mustang or F150 work, but if you want to display individual tire pressures, you will then have to reset the sensors every time you rotate tires. Or you need a system with multiple receiving antennas, which costs more money. Ford may have decided Mustang and F150 customers are willing to pay more for a sophisticated system or they may be required to reset when rotating tires. Ford may have decided that Edge customers do not want to pay extra for this or do not want the extra hassle when rotating. Different systems for different customers.

I don't know exactly how the system on the new Mustang or F150 work, but if you want to display individual tire pressures, you will then have to reset the sensors every time you rotate tires. Or you need a system with multiple receiving antennas, which costs more money. Ford may have decided Mustang and F150 customers are willing to pay more for a sophisticated system or they may be required to reset when rotating tires. Ford may have decided that Edge customers do not want to pay extra for this or do not want the extra hassle when rotating. Different systems for different customers.

On the 2015 F-150 (probably also the Mustang), you'll need to 're-train the sensors. The procedure is stated in the Owners Manual which can be downloaded from Ford's owner or fleet website.

So it seems to be cheaper method, utilizing the existing equipment. It is really annoying that it's not available on current Fords, and super dumb not to include in the 2015 Edge. They should also offer it to existing owners, but that's just a dream.

Edited by omar302

Akirby - I'm sure I have this in the wrong area but this is part of the discussion.

I use ODB to help maintain my 2001 4Runner. I use hardware from ScanTool.net (ElmScan5 USB) and software (ScanXL Professional) from Palmer Performance. I tried other hardware/software but was disappointed with the results.

scantool.net

palmerperformance.com

ODB Solutions/ScanTool.net's ODB Link MX WiFi KickStarter project has been funded but they have a great video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd

ODB Solution/ScanTool.net, free smart phone/tablet software, ODBLink

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.OBDLink&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obdlink/id879636351?mt=8

Some PalmerPerformance products that will work with ODBLink MX WiFi:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

I preordered ODBLink MX WiFi from ScanTool.net. I should have the hardware in November/December. I can use this scan tool with my smart phone or laptop. The smart phone app is free. This doesn't allow us to read tire pressure from a smart phone/tablet but does have some cool features. Maybe in the future this device would allow us to read tire pressure. I will report back on how the product works with my 4Runner.

In September I asked if we could get a discount for the member of the forum and inquired if they would ship to Qatar. ScanTool offer 10% but all the units had to be on the same order and they didn't answer about shipping to Qatar. I thought I would test the ODBLink MX WiFi out and then post but the discussion kind of went toward this product.

Edited by JimPA
  • Like 1

I think the new color of magnetic gray will look awesome in this vehicle. I have had 2 sports before and loved them but this time around I didn't want sliver again. I also wanted a lighter interior which the sport does not offer. Will ford ever offer the sport in a lighter interior? I understand the marketing behind having only 1 choice, but I think that the same interior possibly in the light sand on the sport would be well be received.

As much as I really wanted the 2015 sport I had to pass and order a titanium in magnetic gray instead. I would have liked the 2.7, but I wanted the lighter interior, and also needed a tow package this time around. My wife works for ford here in mi at WHQ and I was able to order it thru ford directly. Build date in March....allegedly...we'll see. My 2011 sport was supposed to be delivered in June of 2010, it was built in May, but I didn't see it until October.

I ordered the magnetic gray with the new soft ceramic leather interior and 20" polished alum wheels. I noticed in the now available order guide, that the wheels that I selected are not offered. Probably using up old inventory I would guess. None the less, I am looking forward to the next generation of the edge! I drive over 40k year and love the way it rides, a very heavy feeling vehicle especially on the highway. I drove a new escape for about a year nd hated every minute of it....too small, too light, I did not like it at all especially after coming out of my last edge sport into that.