All-new 2015 Edge using the old MFT hardware/software?

It's possible the 2015 gets the new hardware in which case it would be upgradeable. But since the 2015 was supposed to be released already it may still have the old hardware. You'll just have to wait and see.

Ā 

Any chance it was delayed due to this reason? Maybe they thought of equipping it with new hardware?

It's possible the 2015 gets the new hardware in which case it would be upgradeable. But since the 2015 was supposed to be released already it may still have the old hardware. You'll just have to wait and see.

Ā 

Then any chance that the Sync 3 gets introduced in mid-production 2015?

Ā 

My lease is up in May, so wondering if I might get Sync 3 being later in the production year.

It sounds to me like this was planned for 2016 models all along and would not have been planned for the 2015 edge originally. It's entirely possible they go ahead with the new hardware with or without sync 3 software but that introduces a lot of variables on a new vehicle and given the botched intro of MFT on the 2011 edge I would be inclined to think they won't risk it.

Ā 

Anything is possible at this point so it's anybody's guess until we see the final product.

Link #25 from WWWPerfA_ZNOW above is interesting. The SHO owner's Sync 3 hardware already has the Sync 3 software; unless he got a beta.

Ā 

Although I would like to believe so, I don't think we would get the Sync 3 hardware running Sync 2 (until Sync 3 is ready). But I'd like very much to be corrected :)

The question then becomes. Do you want to get something that has been around for years and is probably as good as its going to get. OR, do you want to take your chance on the new operating system?? I don't know what to trust. When I think of the countless updates, black screen or deaths, quirkiness of the ambient lighting and stereo functions. Its just too much to ponder but good luck, I would wait as long as you could to see how the new system operates.

Good point, but keep in mind though that QNX in general is very stable. It's used in nuclear power plants, international space station (canadarm), trains/subways, etc.

Ā 

Now that's not to say that Ford won't get their hands in it and bloat it up... but the foundation and opportunity is much much better than what the current MFT system is based on!

I would agree the new version of SYNC will be better. Just having updates via Wifi is a huge benefit. That said, I think a 2015 Edge this spring is not in my plans now. My (actually my wife's) 2011 has been a great vehicle. We were also considering a 2015 MKC if we decide to go a bit smaller, but it also looks like 2016 is the "magic" year. Just a FYI, 2016 Explorer production starts 5/4/15 so we wont see Sync 3 in the lots until June.

Edited by blankster

Based on "an update can be updated at any time" comment, I have had a new vehicle every year since the 2010 edge came out with the Sync system. I can honeslty say that I have had no less than 15 software upgrades/repairs/reprogramming of these systems and not one has worked!!! the dealers are about as educated in these upgrades/reprograming processes as I am. I have even taken my Ford Vehicles to Lincoln dealers who I know personally and they too could not get the problems resolved with their re-programming. I hate to say it, but all those who folow the "Bluye Oval" already know that this Sync system is killing the manufacturers overall qulaity sciores and rightfully so in my opinion. So when someone says "it can be upgrades or re-porgramed later" i take that to mean that I will drive my 2015 Edge until my 2016 vehicle arrives with the sasme software and programming as what it is delivered with.

Ā 

My build date for my 2015 Edge Titanium is the last week of the month, january. Upon delivery, I will update as to my impressions of the "new" system.

I have a 2012 Focus and it's only had 2 updates in 3 years, both done at home with no problems. My 2013 Fusion has had one upgrade, same thing.

Ā 

From late 2010 through early 2012 there were updates about once every 6 weeks trying to fix the stability problems.

Ā 

If you've had problems with usb upgrades on multiple vehicles then it must be your usb drives or your home computer where you download the updates. I can't see having a bad APIM on multiple vehicles back to back.

As for MFT killing quality - there are two parts. One is reliability which suffered a lot early on but has been pretty much fixed for the last 18-24 months as far as the software goes. There are still some hardware issues out there. The other is user acceptance - some people just do not like the MFT interface. Sync 3 will fix some of those complaints but there will be some who just don't like touch screens at all.

Ā 

I still believe one of the biggest things that confuses some owners with MFT is the quadrant menus. For techies like me it's great because I can go to any top level function at any time, but I think some people want a traditional button menu and that's what sync 3 has.

Ā 

Nobody will ever be 100% satisfied with new tech like this no matter what.

Ā 

I also believe Ford learned their lesson the hard way with MFT and won't repeat that fiasco.

Agreed. I have never updated or re-programmed at home...always thru a dealer. For example, I am currently driving a 2014 Lincoln MKS and am having problems with the system. It doesn't hold settings such as ambient lighting. This has been "fixed" by both Ford and Lincoln dealers 3 times in the last 6 months. The last 3 vehicles I have had have had these issues. 2010 Edge Sport, 2013 Escape Titanium, and my current vehicle 2014 Lincoln MKS. I am very fortunate to be able to get a new car about every 12 to 14 months thru Ford Management Lease program. Especially with the new release of vehicles, we are asked to fill out surveys about the vehicle. I am looking forward to the next generation of Sync. As I mentioned,mi should here about a delivery date for my 2015 around the first of February.

I have a 2011 Edge. No real problems, have not done the latest update as the first one was a gong show and it works. Not very happy with the navigation , not MFT's fault. I have a price for a trade for a 2015 Titanium. Have told the dealer I will wait for QNX. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the QNX system. If Ford does the layout of audio, climate, screen like GM has done I am thinking it will be much better. I am hoping they get more knobs as I find them easier than punching a screen, plus I have never gotten used to talking to a vehicle.

Waiting for the 15's to come out, but want the new sync. Read somewhere that they while it has old software and hardware, it will be upgadeable to the new software. Anyone know if that is the case? And if it will be, I wonder if there will be limitaltions to it since it had the old hardware.

Well that sucks. So why are they advertising it as the best thing ever when they have the new Edge coming out soon? Why not announce it after the edge comes out? Why would people want to buy the edge with old tech when new stuff will be here in a couple months? Make no sense to me. Maybe there is an explanation but I don't get it.

• Like 1

Ford CES rep also said they have no real pricing or MPG info on the 2015 Edge yet. They hope Ford will release some info during the Detroit auto show.

Ā 

Im also disappointed with lack of Sync3 in the 2015 Edge. Currently considering the great lease deal out there on the 2015 RDX.

Edited by fastman

resale value on the 2015 with MFT will be poor compared to the 2016 with Sync3.

I don't think that resale values will be affected at all.....all the nada books and residual values are based on whether it has navigation or not, not the generation of electronics....

Ā 

Secondly, with the price of these vehicles today, the only way or reason that I believe that anyone would ever BUY these overpriced, depreciating assets, that will NEVER go up in value would be if that buyer is planning on driving it until the wheels come off. Even at an interest rate of 0%, at which point why would you put any money down as you are getting "free" money, the monthly payment is still much higher than most are willing to pay. In my opinion as well as economics 101, says that you should NEVER BUY anything that DEPTECIATES. we buy homes, they used to increase in value, but you get my point. And besides, for me there are always going to be monthly payments that I will have until I die..1) mortgage...by the time I get close to paying off my home, I will be ready to move to Florida and retire, 2)Alimony....need I say more and 3) Car payments. Plus most leases through the manufactures have inflated residual values, which makes it easier to drive a more expensive car for less money than when you buy it, also your maintenance costs are typically lower on a lease as you will probably not have to replace the brakes for example by lease turn in. If you absolutely love it at lease end, buy it the for the residual value or hand the keys over to the salesman and pick out your new car after 2 or 3 years not 5 or 6 years with 100k on it....what is anything worth at that point anyway?

Ā 

If you are concerned about "resale value" lease it. Let the bank worry about what they will get at auction and not have it your problem. But if you like the car, get it. You can always come out of a lease early especially within the same manufacturer, don't wait for something to "get better" because you NEVER KNOW FOR SURE what "better" may be....it could be worse, could change before it even happens. We will probably never see interest rates as low as these right now, take advantage of it if you can, it can and will only get worse from here forward.