Driver Seat hurt your back?

Does anyone else have a serious problem with their driver seat not being comfortable? When you initially sit on it, it is very comfortable and soft. But stay in it for more than 5 minutes, and my back hurts and I cannot get comfortable to save my life!

I have tried to adjust it every which way, but nothing helps. Any suggestions or comments?

I'm just going to flat out say it.

WHY DID YOU START A NEW THREAD?

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, OH I FORGOT, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE AND THIS IS EASIER

Wow... nice to see you are so welcoming to "newbies"... Thanks for welcoming "us" to your community. I think I'll stay a while - maybe I'll find that SEARCH function.. :finger:

Jillybean

Does anyone else have a serious problem with their driver seat not being comfortable? When you initially sit on it, it is very comfortable and soft. But stay in it for more than 5 minutes, and my back hurts and I cannot get comfortable to save my life!

I have tried to adjust it every which way, but nothing helps. Any suggestions or comments?

Welcome 'BlondiCJ1' - Don't sweat the "Right Fighters" - most of them are big talkers when they are anomymous.

I have an Edge SEL and a MKX, both with premium Packages. The seats in the MKX are far superior for ride comfort, with the added bonus of heating and cooling. I have leather in the SEL with the heated seat option and 6 way power. After 30 minutes or more, it feels like the cushioning has bottomed out in the Edge and I find it less comfortable. It starts out softer than the MKX but ends up harder.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into seat comfort because there are a lot of different "Frames" that have to sit on them. I'm 200+ lbs at 6'1". My wife, at 125 Lbs and 5'4", does not have any problem with the SEL seats.

If I had not ridden in the MKX, I probably would not have noticed the difference as much. I will look at a cushion device before I take a two day trip in the Edge (or better yet, just take the MKX).

If I drove the Edge for any distance every day, I would consider a cushion or lambs wool seat covers - (yeah, I know - tacky), or go to a trim shop and see if they can insert a layer of memory foam or something else to prevent the cushion for bottoming out under my tonage.

I was initially interested in the MKX but stopped by to look at the Edge Limited. It is very nice and sure is a lot less money. I did not sit in either vehicle until today. It seems that the Edge's leather front seats are rock hard. I was a bit disappointed. Are the fabric seats the same? I can't understand why auto makers are making the seats so firm these days.

I was initially interested in the MKX but stopped by to look at the Edge Limited. It is very nice and sure is a lot less money. I did not sit in either vehicle until today. It seems that the Edge's leather front seats are rock hard. I was a bit disappointed. Are the fabric seats the same? I can't understand why auto makers are making the seats so firm these days.

I got Mazda tribute & the seats hurt my back on highway trips but when I sat in edge limited it felt like lexus. :rockon:

Read reviews from members who already made long highway trips & you will get a fair idea.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I thought it was me. I just got my mkx 4 days ago and have been tweaking the seat/steering wheel adjustments trying to find a comfortable position.

It's weird. I've driven many vehicles (rentals) and have never experienced this in any vehicle before, at least not to the point that I didn't get used to it after a day or two.

I guess I'll have to do a "search" as the other responder so gently suggested to see if I can find some good suggestions for relief.

Don't have my Edge yet, but in general I noticed that when I went from cloth to leather for the first time that my back hurt. I think the cloth seats are more forgiving with seat position than leather ones.

btw, that website with the porcupine seat covers is pretty amusing. Too bad they were sold out of the car-to-plane conversion kit.

Welcome 'BlondiCJ1' - Don't sweat the "Right Fighters" - most of them are big talkers when they are anomymous.

I have an Edge SEL and a MKX, both with premium Packages. The seats in the MKX are far superior for ride comfort, with the added bonus of heating and cooling. I have leather in the SEL with the heated seat option and 6 way power. After 30 minutes or more, it feels like the cushioning has bottomed out in the Edge and I find it less comfortable. It starts out softer than the MKX but ends up harder.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into seat comfort because there are a lot of different "Frames" that have to sit on them. I'm 200+ lbs at 6'1". My wife, at 125 Lbs and 5'4", does not have any problem with the SEL seats.

If I had not ridden in the MKX, I probably would not have noticed the difference as much. I will look at a cushion device before I take a two day trip in the Edge (or better yet, just take the MKX).

If I drove the Edge for any distance every day, I would consider a cushion or lambs wool seat covers - (yeah, I know - tacky), or go to a trim shop and see if they can insert a layer of memory foam or something else to prevent the cushion for bottoming out under my tonage.

I have a 2007 MKX and was initially very concerned that the seats were very firm. But I liked the CUV very much and bought it (with heated/cooled seats).... Have since realized that the firm seats work to your benefit on longer trips. I realized this after driving for two hours on a parkway. At the end of the trip I stepped out of the CUV without pain and I didn't feel stiff... I have a bad back so it's not like I'm in the best of shape and I am very far from being young ....

I travel every week, I have three states to cover. I have no issues with my seats at all. But then again I just got out of an Escape and that thing beat hell out of me, so even a lumber wagon would feel good at this point.

The escape was a wonderful vehicle for every use I had except traveling like I do.

Oh yeah and I do have a Lumber wagon, I use it on weekends, I live approximately three axle greaseings from town, and those wheels are made of wood.

I live so far out in the woods my breath smells like cord wood, and I have eaten so many Rabbits I drag my own Butt to clean it.

I travel every week, I have three states to cover. I have no issues with my seats at all. But then again I just got out of an Escape and that thing beat hell out of me, so even a lumber wagon would feel good at this point.

The escape was a wonderful vehicle for every use I had except traveling like I do.

Oh yeah and I do have a Lumber wagon, I use it on weekends, I live approximately three axle greaseings from town, and those wheels are made of wood.

I live so far out in the woods my breath smells like cord wood, and I have eaten so many Rabbits I drag my own Butt to clean it.

TTIWWOP

Edited by Good_Hands

I have a 2007 MKX and was initially very concerned that the seats were very firm. But I liked the CUV very much and bought it (with heated/cooled seats).... Have since realized that the firm seats work to your benefit on longer trips. I realized this after driving for two hours on a parkway. At the end of the trip I stepped out of the CUV without pain and I didn't feel stiff... I have a bad back so it's not like I'm in the best of shape and I am very far from being young ....

2007 Edge sel+ FWD

Just drove from Boston, MA to Naples, FL 1560 miles

I am 71 yrs young, 6'2", 180 lbs and found the leather heated seats very comfortable.

I made the trip in 2 days (14 hours each day).

TTIWWOP

All right then, what exactly do you want the picture of? They will censor me in the yard wiping, I can't take a picture of my breath, you want to see my lumber wagon????

I lied, I don't have one, I have a small Green Plastic Wagon for yard work that I pull with my Polaris.

However I did save a ton of Money by staying with State Farm.

How is the Memphis Weather. Last year at this time I was setting on my Deck watching the world pass and drinking a Cold Bud in Shorts and a Harley Tee Shirt.

Edited by sengland

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has had her 2008 Edge AWD Ltd. for right at one month and her only complaint is the comfort of the seats. She has two issues, first the head rest sets too far forward (which has been discussed in a previous thread). I don't have an issue with it myself. Her second complaint has to do with the contour of the seat back which she says doesn't give her the lower back/lumbar support she would like. However, she was messing around one day and rolled up a towell and placed it behind her back and was perfectly happy. She replaced the towell with a small pillow and she says that took care of her lack of lumbar support and helped the head rest issue. She complains very little now about the comfort.

Part of the issue with her I think is she went from an Infiniti SUV which had extremely comfortable seats with 10-way adjustments and lumbar support to the Edge and the Edge is a bit limited on adjustments.