Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Hi everyone - Troy from Colorado here with a 2007 Ford Edge. Although I have never had the burning smell, I decided to look for this leak after reading this thread. Found a leak around the PTU area and took it to the dealer yesterday.

They verified a leak at the PTU and performed the latest TSB 09-08-10: Replaced PTU cover seal, intermediate seal and deflector. Kit used was 8T4Z*7275*C

edit: I have an appointment to recheck the PTU in about a month so they can see if the leak returns. I will let you all know how it turns out after June 13th.

Edited by curio

I just bought a used 2007 Edge SEL AWD (35k miles), had it checked by our local mechanic shop (who were familiar with the issue and I looked under the car as well) prior to purchase - they said it was clean, but then about a week after we bought it, we had the smell as described in this thread (3 times thus far), and I took pictures and brought the car to the dealer and they confirmed a leak in the seal - but I think it's the axle connection to the PTU, not the driveshaft part. They have parts on order.

This website really has helped, and I will confirm what parts the dealer replaces. The Edge was garaged in winters, and only driven highway miles during summer by the prior owner...but we've driven mostly city w/lots of hills. Weird thing - it looked fine when we had it checked prior to purchase, then it leaked and smelled, but last week it hasn't been smelling or leaking (no new spots on garage floor....)

I like the car, and am hopeful that the leak can/will be fixed. Many thanks to all who have posted.....and good luck with your Edge's.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on mine:

I had mine replace a while ago and two weeks ago did an oil change on my 08 AWD LTD at my friends Porsche Independant shop.

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

NO LEAK!!!!!

I looked all around the unit (was on a hoist) and clean as can be.

The only thing I can think of that would cause it to leak again if it does would be the cold weather in the winter months. The temperature has been warm since it was done. Don't know if the temperatures drop to way below zero C for it to start leaking again. Maybe the severe temperature allows the unit to leak?

I am happy so far.

Dealer: Whiteoaks Ford on Mavis Dr., in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I have had nothing but praise for this dealer. Been to many others ... and are not impressed with them.

Edited by Jaak in TO

Ok, it's been one month since the dealer performed the TSB for the leak. Took it in so they could check it again, and it's still not leaking.

I will have them check it at every oil change, and especially after the next Colorado winter. Time will tell, but so far TSB 09-08-10 seems to be working.

Edited by curio

Ok, it's been one month since the dealer performed the TSB for the leak. Took it in so they could check it again, and it's still not leaking.

I will have them check it at every oil change, and especially after the next Colorado winter. Time will tell, but so far TSB 09-08-10 seems to be working.

I think mine is fixed as well, however I will reserve judgment until I go through another winter since that is when the problem seems to appear.

SMOKIN EDGE

I think mine is fixed as well, however I will reserve judgment until I go through another winter since that is when the problem seems to appear.

SMOKIN EDGE

I see you haven't bothered to update your website (www.smokinedge.com) with your successful repair or anyone else's.

I guess the truth doesn't fit your agenda, huh?

I see you haven't bothered to update your website (www.smokinedge.com) with your successful repair or anyone else's.

I guess the truth doesn't fit your agenda, huh?

Over 9 months ago I bought a brand new vehicle with less that 1,000 miles on it. After several visits and changing 2 seals and related fluids and drive shaft - I am not going to rush to any conclusions. As a consumer that is my prerogative. Any other major consumer products I would have returned in a minute. I will thank Ford if it is fixed, but after all they put me through they should not be proud of products they produce. The never compensate for the time and effort and anguish that they put people through.

If I hear some good stories I will report on them. A fricken thank you note from them would be a start, but they are even too ignorant to do that.

SMOKIN EDGE

Typical internet basher :baby: pretty quick to document ALL failures BUT a little slow to post the successes???

ab

Over 9 months ago I bought a brand new vehicle with less that 1,000 miles on it. After several visits and changing 2 seals and related fluids and drive shaft - I am not going to rush to any conclusions. As a consumer that is my prerogative. Any other major consumer products I would have returned in a minute. I will thank Ford if it is fixed, but after all they put me through they should not be proud of products they produce. The never compensate for the time and effort and anguish that they put people through.

If I hear some good stories I will report on them. A fricken thank you note from them would be a start, but they are even too ignorant to do that.

SMOKIN EDGE

I've heard several good stories right here, in this thread, but I don't think you want to hear them. If you were being honest you'd post that many people had successful repairs but the repair process is complicated and some dealers were not performing the repair properly. But you obviously just have an axe to grind with Ford so you'll go out of your way to bash them regardless of the truth.

:happy feet:

Hello All...

Just wanted to let you all know out there that my drama with my 08 AWD Edge is over too! :hyper: I first found this site last summer when I started to have problems and really thankful that it was here. I was able to let the mechanics know what needed to be done! :rockon:

I ended up with a total of 3 seal replacements, 4 full PTU replacements and 1 drive shaft replacement over a course of 9 months. Crazy Times! I live in Ontario, Canada and had the option of the Arbitration route and pursued it...sent all my Ford service records (12 times in the shop), copies of this blog, a nice letter explaining that I transport children in the car and the toxic fumes were not really what Health Canada would recommend for children or adults to be breathing in for hours at a time.. etc. etc. and Ford didn't even take it to the Arbitration level. They settled by giving me my portion of downpayment back (I was on a lease) and then offered me an additional $2500.00 credit to move into a new or leased Ford...ya NO THANKS on that offer! I tried to explain to Ford Customer Care that when all this was going on with the repairs ...the mechanics and the engineers we discussing what the next PTU serial # was going to be for the next patch job....Ford's Customer Care division is never copied on what is happening with one of their customer's cars! They have no idea that a customer out there is freaking out, paying a huge lease and either is without a vechicle or drive a Focus loaner!

I had suggested to Ford that they ensure that they are in the loop to keep the customer happy! Duh :banghead: Not rocket science... First rule of business..the customer comes first or at least try to keep the customer happy or they move onto another company!

Anyways, bottom line is... just get on with it Ford Edgers! There are major issues with drive shafts, the seals and the PTUs on the Edges! Great car, but if you have one of the lemons.. it ain't gonna get any better..Trust me it is just a waiting game until the seal lets go again and your car is back in for the "newest PTU that the engineers have developed"...

So, good luck to all of you as I won't be having to blog here any longer...I thank you all for your continued banter as I believe it was useful when I sent my info into the CAMVAP and Ford looking for resolution!

Cheers,

patchedoutedger

I've heard several good stories right here, in this thread, but I don't think you want to hear them. If you were being honest you'd post that many people had successful repairs but the repair process is complicated and some dealers were not performing the repair properly. But you obviously just have an axe to grind with Ford so you'll go out of your way to bash them regardless of the truth.

These posts are a testament to Ford Quality. Enough Said

SMOKIN EDGE

SMOKIN EDGE

The fact that you continue to sign your posts "Smokin Edge" when that is no longer true says a lot.

You're just an internet basher with an axe to grind and you won't let the truth get in your way.

The fact that you continue to sign your posts "Smokin Edge" when that is no longer true says a lot.

You're just an internet basher with an axe to grind and you won't let the truth get in your way.

As one of the previous posts says about this problem - it isn't fixed yet.\! My blog will stay up whether you like it or not!

Anyways, bottom line is... just get on with it Ford Edgers! There are major issues with drive shafts, the seals and the PTUs on the Edges! Great car, but if you have one of the lemons.. it ain't gonna get any better..Trust me it is just a waiting game until the seal lets go again and your car is back in for the "newest PTU that the engineers have developed"...

Kirby - Do you work for Ford?

SMOKIN EDGE

No but I will buy a Toyota next time - better Quality.

SMOKIN EDGE

Do you think so? I worked for 3 years in a repair shop doing all the account work and I can tell you for sure that Toyota is not the best example of good quality, if you go also to any Toyota forum, you will hear the same horrific stories you will find here or in any other.

All car manufacturers, imported or domestic, more the imported than the domestic in my experience, have dirty to clean, even the more expensive ones, simply there are things that are not predictable, and can not be predicted, for example, how you will know that a batch of given imported or domestic parts will be defective, also negligency of a given employee, defective outsource parts...etc...mainly all recalls and TSB you will find in any manufacturer are rarely due to errors in design, that will be a total failure and a total recall....Also keep in mind that maybe in a test vehicle sent to a lab they will not show up, but once you mass produce anything, quality worsen, and that happen in any place of the planet...Not all cars are made by hand, and checking part by part, and have the quality control so strict like Ferrari or those monsters that have lines of waiting customers of up to months...

Edited by Kanatronic

SMOKIN EDGE

Ford's quality is so bad, that is ranks only 1 point behind toyota. They are having problems with the seals, but are trying to fix them. This just shows that Ford's quality is really good, and Toyota's isn't as great as you might think. All manufactors run into this sort of problem. I know you won't care what the report says, but it is something to think about.

http://autos.aol.com/article/jd-power-initial-quality-2009

They are having problems with the seals, but are trying to fix them.

They have fixed the problem, but the repair procedure is complicated and a lot of dealers are not capable (or willing) to perform the repair correctly. Unfortunately this gets interpreted as "Ford can't fix my problem".

I don't have an issue with posting repair horror stories as long as all the facts are included. But when you only post the very worst stories and you never post the successful repairs (including your own) or other facts then you're nothing but a troll with a web site.

They have fixed the problem, but the repair procedure is complicated and a lot of dealers are not capable (or willing) to perform the repair correctly. Unfortunately this gets interpreted as "Ford can't fix my problem".

I don't have an issue with posting repair horror stories as long as all the facts are included. But when you only post the very worst stories and you never post the successful repairs (including your own) or other facts then you're nothing but a troll with a web site.

I know they are trying to fix the problem. They have the new double seal kit out. And yes it is a hard fix. But unfortunatly only time will tell if this is perminant. The post was ment for garyedwardsmith to show that Ford's quality is just as good as any other car company and better than most.

And just to add to that, I am a Tech at a dealership and have only seen a handfull of Edge's come in for that concern. So it is not as bad as he likes to think.

I know they are trying to fix the problem. They have the new double seal kit out. And yes it is a hard fix. But unfortunatly only time will tell if this is perminant. The post was ment for garyedwardsmith to show that Ford's quality is just as good as any other car company and better than most.

And just to add to that, I am a Tech at a dealership and have only seen a handfull of Edge's come in for that concern. So it is not as bad as he likes to think.

I just meant they are doing more than just "trying" to fix them - it appears they have fixed the problem on several vehicles including some that were done last year. The only question is whether the dealer can properly implement the repair. I understand the repair process is complicated, especially compared to other typical repairs, so it's understandable to some degree.

• 2 weeks later...

OK> So i thought after the third go around of changing the seals, or acually replacing the whole unit, the burning smell was gone. Well I think it is back and leaking again. I had to run my heat (defrosters) the other day and within 5 minutes the smell was there. It i going in tomorrow back to the dealership to check if leaking. This will be the 4h time. My question is this.......Where do go fom here if I want to pursue the lemon law? Does the dealership get this final try to fix this, or do I start the paperwork prior to them making their final attempt? I ultimetly want Ford to replace this with an 09 or better Edge that dont leak...Any help would be great.......

Edited by vs08edge