2015 Sport Complete Loss of Boost

Rextang

Picked up my new Edge Sport on Tuesday, drove it 470 miles in 5 days. Love how quiet and smooth it is at any speed. Love how it doesn't need to downshift with mild acceleration even on the highway.

Unfortunately, coming home tonight, after accelerating out of a right hand turn (not hard) something went pffffft.... like the car passed gas! No more turbos. No check engine light. Ran a vehicle health report, says all is good.....

Right after it happened, I tried to see if any turbo plumbing had disconnected, but from what little I can see, everything appears ok. Pulled the dipstick and removed a bit of silicone RTV that was adhered to the end of it. Opened the oil fill cap and smoke was coming out. Not billowing, but who knows what it was because it did not smell and maybe it is normal after driving on the open road for an hour, I don't know. The engine temp (or cylinder head temp as it may be) gage on the dash shows normal. Took it for a short ride an hr later and the car idles smoothly, but it has to wind up more to get going and as expected, is gutless without the turbos. I bet I'll see lots of eco before I get my boost back. Gotta wait until Monday. Stay tuned. Guess this is what comes when you are on the cutting "Edge" of new technology. :headspin:

Actually there is a TSB that just came out for this issue. One of the pipes from the charge air cooler has come loose, easy fix. This also was an issue with the Explorer Sport and Fusion 2.0L when they first came out. These engines put out quite a bit of boost so all the plumbing needs to be tight.

• Like 1

Actually there is a TSB that just came out for this issue. One of the pipes from the charge air cooler has come loose, easy fix. This also was an issue with the Explorer Sport and Fusion 2.0L when they first came out. These engines put out quite a bit of boost so all the plumbing needs to be tight.

Thanks for letting me know Magnetic. I was able to stick my phone down and aim it at the intercooler and you were right, the charge air pipe was off. I did my best to put it back on and tighten it up. We'll see how well it holds up. Access to the hose clamp is troublesome (had to pull out the air box). I'm left with a bonus part that fell off the hose clamp. Some kind of retainer. I'll have to take it to the dealer and let them fix it the right way.

Edited by Rextang

I had the same thing just happen to me, but was a combo of things. Check engine light came on after 150 miles on the odometer, my brother scanned it, and came up with some sort of solenoid connection issue (or to some sort). Driving home from work and went to go merge into a lane and boom!!!! Something exploded in the engine compartment and lost the use of the turbo. Was like driving a snail the rest of the way back home.

All said and done apparently the solenoid was defective, allowing waste gate to remain open, and overboosted the car blowing the hose clear off. Back together now and running good.

I had the same thing just happen to me, but was a combo of things. Check engine light came on after 150 miles on the odometer, my brother scanned it, and came up with some sort of solenoid connection issue (or to some sort). Driving home from work and went to go merge into a lane and boom!!!! Something exploded in the engine compartment and lost the use of the turbo. Was like driving a snail the rest of the way back home.

All said and done apparently the solenoid was defective, allowing waste gate to remain open, and overboosted the car blowing the hose clear off. Back together now and running good.

I know that in general people don't come online and say that everything is working fine, so that skews how prevalent issues are. However, if this has happened to two people already, I'm guessing there's going to be more than just a TSB down the line.

More than a TSB? Like what exactly? Ford knows about the issue and has alerted dealers to be aware of it and how to correct it. It's actually not uncommon for turbo lines to come loose if not installed correctly or if the clamps are even a little under torqued or misaligned. There is a lot of pressure in those lines and they need a little extra attention when assembled. Like I said before, it's happened on other Ecoboost engines too when they first launched in those models.

More than a TSB? Like what exactly? Ford knows about the issue and has alerted dealers to be aware of it and how to correct it. It's actually not uncommon for turbo lines to come loose if not installed correctly or if the clamps are even a little under torqued or misaligned. There is a lot of pressure in those lines and they need a little extra attention when assembled. Like I said before, it's happened on other Ecoboost engines too when they first launched in those models.

recall

So just to update everyone, I haven't had a chance to take the car in. That said, I've put over 400 miles on it since my charge air hose blew off the intercooler and I'm without further incident. Looking back on the photos I took, there appears to be a white line painted on the hose, instructing the installer how far to push the hose onto the IC fitting. The little clip I still have as a souvenir appears to establish the distance from the end of the tube to where the hose clamp resides. The combination of these assembly aids theoretically creates a repeatable assembly process. I'm not convinced they set it up correctly or it is not entirely foolproof. In my case, the other end of this hose was not installed square to the engine side fitting, so I corrected that too while I was in there. At this point, since I have no further issues, I'm staying out of the dealer.

Here are two photos. One shows the engine side that could have been a little better fitted at the factory and the other pic shows the problem side. You can make out the clip that holds the hose clamp at a distance from the end of the hose and the white line I mentioned in my previous post

post-35156-0-51739000-1431124198_thumb.jpg

post-35156-0-65680500-1431124221_thumb.jpg

post-35156-0-58600200-1431126837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rextang
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Doesn't that make it even more concerning, that it's still happening after being a known issue on a previous Eco Boost engine? Seems like a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but concerning at the same time that it's happened before and is easily preventable with simple instructions to "tighten things".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the TSB number or have the TSB text for this issue? I don't see any service bulleting for my VIN, when I look it up in ETIS.

At 5,800 miles it has happened again. And it happened on the weekend of course while merging onto a highway. I decided not to fix it myself and to take it in this time, so I'll provide an update when I get it back this afternoon. My advice to anyone experiencing this is to use S mode on the trans. S holds gears longer which you will need to accelerate since there isn't any boost. I drove it all weekend like this and survived. I think the charge air hose needs more than a hose clamp. This is becoming an annoyance more than anything else.