Update on mine... Ford called yesterday to tell me they are going to replace my Edge, I bought it on the 20th and it was in the shop on the 24th til now. Not really a bad experience (minus the rental for 3 and a half weeks). Everyone at Ford was extremely friendly. They say I can choose my replacement and am allowed a little over what I paid for my original based on the MSRP. However, I have to go through the local dealership to get this done and Im a little worried about getting done wrong by a salesman... Ive been very patient and understanding through all this, I would like a little reward for that. maybe a Moonroof!

Congrats jbastible82!!!

It sounds like you're getting a credit and no refund? More options are better than none. I guess if that's satisfying to you (and really happy you're sticking with Ford), the MSRP way sounds easier. At least there's no real renegotiation (except if you go over, then expect the same % off that you originally got from MSRP).

Maybe Ford is stepping up here after all? Time will tell. Let's hope we hear similar resolutions for everyone else.

"Maybe" Ford is stepping up here?

Stop sale. Buying back vehicles. What else do you expect them to do about it?

Agree. But I'm very curious when the "stop sale" was issued? What was sent to the dealers? Because, IMO, I think that is bullsh*t fed to the press.

I think truly stepping up is replacing every car that showed signs of a leak. Because water + electrical connections = disaster down the road.

I hope they help everyone else, not just one of us here, right? Time will tell.

I have seen a few (2-3) here that have said they are getting a buy back. Which is very positive news. But like you said I hope they step up and help everyone with this issue. Not just the ones who complain about it.

• Like 1

The lady I talked to with Ford that was handling my case told me that all affected vehicles will be retuned to Ford, cause my fear was that Ill just get another Edge..with the same problem.. But she assured me that was not going to be an issue. However, I just bought mine on June 20th and it was affected. So yea, when was the stop sale initiated, should I be pissed at Ford or at the dealership for failing to uphold the stop sale.

The lady I talked to with Ford that was handling my case told me that all affected vehicles will be retuned to Ford, cause my fear was that Ill just get another Edge..with the same problem.. But she assured me that was not going to be an issue. However, I just bought mine on June 20th and it was affected. So yea, when was the stop sale initiated, should I be pissed at Ford or at the dealership for failing to uphold the stop sale.

I think the stop sale, if initiated at all, would have been done in the last few days. Before that, I don't think the dealers had instructions on checking for this issue prior to sale. Maybe some did....maybe some didn't.

I would only get pissed at the dealer if they were told to fix this thing prior to sales, and they didn't.

I am wondering if the "fix" might not be working as they thought. Mine was held at he factory for over 2 months. I can't see it not having been inspected and repaired prior to being shipped. I just picked it up Friday, heavy rain on Monday and discovered it was wet on Tuesday. Mine should have been fixed before I received it. Not my dealership's fault since it was released from the factory and they did not receive instructions to hold it or repair before sale.

Unless it did not rain in Oakville since April, my vehicle sat in a lot there for months and if after one day of rain here it got wet, it most certainly should have been wet while sitting in the lot. I feel like mine was already repaired prior to shipping but yet now it is wet.....

Edited by Cheeky

I am wondering if the "fix" might not be working as they thought. Mine was held at he factory for over 2 months. I can't see it not having been inspected and repaired prior to being shipped. I just picked it up Friday, heavy rain on Monday and discovered it was wet on Tuesday. Mine should have been fixed before I received it. Not my dealership's fault since it was released from the factory and they did not receive instructions to hold it or repair before sale.

Have you verified if the fix was done? You can pop the hood and look back behind the hood hinge to see if the sealer was applied.

If you need a pic, let me know and I can post it again.

Have you verified if the fix was done? You can pop the hood and look back behind the hood hinge to see if the sealer was applied.

If you need a pic, let me know and I can post it again.

I haven't but I will check.

Would you not think though that sitting on a lot for 2 months it would have gotten wet then? Now after one day of rain I am finding that it leaked?

Also, why would they hold it for 2 months, release it and not have dealt with the issue either at the factory or shipped it with instructions for the dealer to inspect or repair prior to sale?

Unless it did not rain in Oakville since April, my vehicle sat in a lot there for months and if after one day of rain here it got wet, it most certainly should have been wet while sitting in the lot. I feel like mine was already repaired prior to shipping but yet now it is wet.....

God... 2 months... I thought i was the only poor guy until I found this forum.. now I gonna pick up all my broken pieces heart and find out a solution for this mess up.

God... 2 months... I thought i was the only poor guy until I found this forum.. now I gonna pick up all my broken pieces heart and find out a solution for this mess up.

I actually waited 5 months for this vehicle! Ordered in February and received last week!

Once I found out about the leak, I was happy that mine was delayed as I was sure it meant I wouldn't have to deal with the issues that the others have. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as I thought.

At least we are all in this together and I have learnt so much useful info being on this forum! I am glad to hear that Ford is stepping up to the plate and I believe that with time they will do right by us, we just have to be patient and trust that it will all work out. I know, easier said than done. Trust me I wasn't patient when I first heard about my delay.

When a new model is launched they always hold the initial batch of vehicles while they inspect for defects. Although that should only happen with dealer stock orders, not retail orders. Some vehicles may end up being held for several months which is why they don't build retail (sold) orders during that time. Those inspections and delays are standard launch procedure and not directly tied to the leak issue which they probably didn't know about.

Had they known about the problem during that time they would have fixed the vehicles before they left the factory.

When a new model is launched they always hold the initial batch of vehicles while they inspect for defects. Although that should only happen with dealer stock orders, not retail orders. Some vehicles may end up being held for several months which is why they don't build retail (sold) orders during that time. Those inspections and delays are standard launch procedure and not directly tied to the leak issue which they probably didn't know about.

Had they known about the problem during that time they would have fixed the vehicles before they left the factory.

They knew about the issue before shipping mine. There was the field action service advisory on it (I checked it online). So if it wasn't addressed at the factory, then they shipped it knowing it could be full of water and I find that hard to believe.

I'm not trying to blindly defend Ford here - just trying to understand why they did whatever they did and it's usually a logical explanation, not because they're out to screw their customers and they don't care.

They were aware of the issue a while back and then started issuing notices to the dealers about the fix. I'm just curious why they waited so long to do a stop sale if they knew of the issue so long ago. Probably because of the backorder on parts to replace carpet, etc. Which will lead to lemon law claims. So hopefully they are just saying it is best we just buy back these cars because fixing them are taking too long, they are brand spanking new, and we'll get an influx of Lemons anyway.

Lack of parts is a good guess. They may have also underestimated the number of vehicles affected (apparently it doesn't affect all vehicles - the robot must have been failing intermittently) or the amount of damage.

It still sucks regardless of the cause and remedy.

• Like 1

Lack of parts is a good guess. They may have also underestimated the number of vehicles affected (apparently it doesn't affect all vehicles - the robot must have been failing intermittently) or the amount of damage.

It still sucks regardless of the cause and remedy.

Yup. My edge was built within that time frame and doesn't have the issue. By looking in to the area it says the sealer is missing, I couldn't see any sealer on mine. Nor could I see any sign of moisture getting to the area even after it rained. I still had it patched up.

I actually waited 5 months for this vehicle! Ordered in February and received last week!

Once I found out about the leak, I was happy that mine was delayed as I was sure it meant I wouldn't have to deal with the issues that the others have. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as I thought.

At least we are all in this together and I have learnt so much useful info being on this forum! I am glad to hear that Ford is stepping up to the plate and I believe that with time they will do right by us, we just have to be patient and trust that it will all work out. I know, easier said than done. Trust me I wasn't patient when I first heard about my delay.

hopefully, there will be a solution for our Canadian customers since we do not have the lemon law here. Mine has been stuck in service department over 2 weeks now, waiting for further instruction from ford that what the dealship said.