I was told that the cause of the leaks was miscalculation of the robot applying the sealant.

FWIW, I posted this video when this mess first started. Look at the 1:00 mark. I don't know how you do quality control on this operation, but it probably is not visual. People are not in this picture.

Most likely QC robots monitoring the working robots. Robots are amazing, but obviously they missed something in tis case. Badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUTnCowzNQ

Coming up on 60 days of my NEW vehicle still sitting at the dealership waiting for parts.. Had the vehicle only 48hrs before having to take it in..

Last update from Ford Corporate was;

- Everyone is on an emergency wait list for parts.. But they won't tell the dealer or you where you are in the queue

- No ETA for parts.. (No shock..)

- Dealer has tried to get ford just to take the damn vehicle back (Interior is stripped right down which looks kinda cool to see in a way..) and they continue to reject

- Ford HAS agreed to Financial compensation once this is all done..

- Dealership is begging ford for more money for our rental as our 60 days is just about up..

In the meanwhile I continue to make their lives hell on Twitter, Facebook and any of their other Social Media sites..

Spoke with a Lead at the Oakville plant last week, confirmed that NO parts are being produced (Only limited number of new Edges) as Ford has cut shifts at the plant again because of a lack of deliveries from Suppliers.

*Sighs* Was hoping to have my vehicle back before it snowed.. Well it snowed yesterday so there went that hope!

FWIW, I posted this video when this mess first started. Look at the 1:00 mark. I don't know how you do quality control on this operation, but it probably is not visual. People are not in this picture.

Most likely QC robots monitoring the working robots. Robots are amazing, but obviously they missed something in tis case. Badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUTnCowzNQ

First off - my heart goes out to all that are effected by this issue as it is truly brutal. In all honestly, aside from the cost factor, this is why I decided to go out and find a good used Edge versus buying a new 2015.

In regards to robotics in the automotive industry, it's just like everything else - there are pros and cons to them. Just like any other piece of computer software, if the progamming of the robot is off it will perform the operation incorrectly considently over, and over, and over. This is why I don't understand why only some Edge's seem to be impacted and why Ford QA didn't catch this sooner in the build year.

As a summer student years ago, I worked in the same Ford factory where the Edge's are made today only "back in the day" we made Ford Tempo's and Mercury Topaz's lol. The first major process automation in that facility was in the paint shop where robots took over the work from humans. Of couse, this was poorly received by the "human assets" remaining on the line but after the initial shakeout it worked out well. This process included "human asset' inspection of all automated paint work so defects seldom left the factory. Not sure how Ford's QA program evolved at that facility after I left but apparently there was a gap somewhere ..... no pun intended ;)

• Like 1

Coming up on 60 days of my NEW vehicle still sitting at the dealership waiting for parts.. Had the vehicle only 48hrs before having to take it in..

Last update from Ford Corporate was;

- Everyone is on an emergency wait list for parts.. But they won't tell the dealer or you where you are in the queue

- No ETA for parts.. (No shock..)

- Dealer has tried to get ford just to take the damn vehicle back (Interior is stripped right down which looks kinda cool to see in a way..) and they continue to reject

- Ford HAS agreed to Financial compensation once this is all done..

- Dealership is begging ford for more money for our rental as our 60 days is just about up..

In the meanwhile I continue to make their lives hell on Twitter, Facebook and any of their other Social Media sites..

Spoke with a Lead at the Oakville plant last week, confirmed that NO parts are being produced (Only limited number of new Edges) as Ford has cut shifts at the plant again because of a lack of deliveries from Suppliers.

*Sighs* Was hoping to have my vehicle back before it snowed.. Well it snowed yesterday so there went that hope!

Production reduction? Wondering if that's why my build date hasn't shown up on ETIS yet (still shows 30.11.00002) yet my window sticker was generated back on August 6th. Dealer still says no change to the delivery ETA of August 25th (tomorrow). I guess I'll find out how accurate their information is tomorrow.

• Like 1

This is the thing that absolutely makes me LIVID MAD at Ford. They have customer owned cars sitting at dealers for months waiting on parts to repair them, and they're using hundreds, maybe thousands of those parts to build new cars that will sit on dealers lots for a couple months. I had that exact thing happen back in November 1988, left rear fender for a Mustang GT hatchback. We drove this 6 month old car for over three months with plastic sheeting duct taped over the broken rear window because the bent fender wouldn't accept a new window. I finally got fed up waiting, called my body shop, who ordered their parts from my dealer, called my dealer's parts manager and raised cane with him. I mean REALLY raised cane! My new fender complete with it's first dents was delivered to the body shop the next day. The IDIOT parts manager forgot that little detail. All these months perfect fenders were installed, hundreds per day on new Mustangs. And they ship me a piece of crap Overnight express!

I've been involved with purchasing, material planning and distribution for over thirty years. ATTENTION FORD, REPAIR PARTS FOR SERVICE & REPAIR OF A CUSTOMER OWNED VEHICLE TAKES PRIORITY OVER PARTS FOR NEW PRODUCTION. Screw me once, shame on me, screw me again on replacement parts and you get the &@#$ CAR BACK PRONTO!

You guys that have been driving rental cars for months because your dealer is waiting on parts to fix your Edge are much more patient than I am. I'd give Crystal here a call, get your claim expedited, then call your dealership and demand nicely to talk the the dealership's owner or general manager, demand a new car that doesn't leak or a complete refund for the car you haven't had the use of, including interest.

Hey I've posted this in a few other forums to help and inform members with leaking edges but within just a few days and a couple of phone calls I was able to not only get outta my lease but I got back every cent I put into it just over $1800... The ford reacquired vehicles line is 1-866-841-7507/1-800-367-3050. They were beyond helpful more than the dealer regional CS... Ask to speak to a supervisor immediately and tell them you need this edge to be reacquired.... My vehicle did qualify for a "new" edge but I wasn't satisfied because that's a breech of contract/lease agreement.... If you have questions or comments on the process I took please feel free to pm me...

Hey I've posted this in a few other forums to help and inform members with leaking edges but within just a few days and a couple of phone calls I was able to not only get outta my lease but I got back every cent I put into it just over $1800... The ford reacquired vehicles line is 1-866-841-7507/1-800-367-3050. They were beyond helpful more than the dealer regional CS... Ask to speak to a supervisor immediately and tell them you need this edge to be reacquired.... My vehicle did qualify for a "new" edge but I wasn't satisfied because that's a breech of contract/lease agreement.... If you have questions or comments on the process I took please feel free to pm me...

• Like 1

Production reduction? Wondering if that's why my build date hasn't shown up on ETIS yet (still shows 30.11.00002) yet my window sticker was generated back on August 6th. Dealer still says no change to the delivery ETA of August 25th (tomorrow). I guess I'll find out how accurate their information is tomorrow.

More than likely, doesn't sound like shifts are back fully yet by what I've been told.. Could be awhile..

I've been involved with purchasing, material planning and distribution for over thirty years. ATTENTION FORD, REPAIR PARTS FOR SERVICE & REPAIR OF A CUSTOMER OWNED VEHICLE TAKES PRIORITY OVER PARTS FOR NEW PRODUCTION. Screw me once, shame on me, screw me again on replacement parts and you get the &@#$ CAR BACK PRONTO!

You guys that have been driving rental cars for months because your dealer is waiting on parts to fix your Edge are much more patient than I am. I'd give Crystal here a call, get your claim expedited, then call your dealership and demand nicely to talk the the dealership's owner or general manager, demand a new car that doesn't leak or a complete refund for the car you haven't had the use of, including interest.

One of the reasons I don't mind the rental.. Purchased a SEL.. Rental is a Titanium so I don't mind the upgrade ha ha.. B)

I've gone head on at ford with the dealership General Manager on my side (Along with the shop manager, Shop leads and others) trying to get them to take back my swimming pool.. The GM Had a BRAND NEW non-effected unit sitting out front we could of driven away with that afternoon.. Nope.. GM Asked for an explanation, they skirted around and said that our vehicle doesn't meet the requirements..My vehicle is the worst any dealer has seen in Western Canada.. They've had a few come in with minor water issues, that they were able to get back to the owner in 48hrs..

• Like 1

Just an update on my 'New' Ford - It's same story as everyone else. It's sitting, torn apart, at the dealership, waiting for carpets and other 'various' parts that were affected by the water.

Colorado Lemon law calls for 30 total business days of repairs or 4 separate repair attempts. I am sitting at about 15 days and 2 attempts so far... I think i will be calling the reaquired vehicle line tomorrow as well as the GM at my dealership...So thanks for posting this info!

Does anyone know what the specifics are on if a vehicle is 'eligible' for buy back or not??

Just an update on my 'New' Ford - It's same story as everyone else. It's sitting, torn apart, at the dealership, waiting for carpets and other 'various' parts that were affected by the water.

Colorado Lemon law calls for 30 total business days of repairs or 4 separate repair attempts. I am sitting at about 15 days and 2 attempts so far... I think i will be calling the reaquired vehicle line tomorrow as well as the GM at my dealership...So thanks for posting this info!

Does anyone know what the specifics are on if a vehicle is 'eligible' for buy back or not??

Here is my understanding of the process:

1) All vehicles are to be tested by the dealership (either prior to sale or when customers received their notice and bring them in)

2) The amount of damage is what dictates the "fix" and eligibility

3) Vehicles with no evidence of water are to be kept for 3 days, sealed and the re-tested

4) Vehicles with evidence of water leaking are to be tested for leaking areas, sealed, carpets replaced and electrical modules replaced (considered fixable)

5) Vehicles with evidence of mold and advanced water damage are eligible to be replaced and considered not fixable

The delay for those waiting for parts for their "repairable vehicle" is due to the back order of the parts. All customers are unfortunately stuck in this boat :(

Once vehicles have been repaired and returned to the customer, Ford Customer Service will offer a compensation package. The compensation package takes into consideration the length of time you had your vehicle prior to "losing it" and how long you are without your vehicle.

Some customers have received new vehicles without having met the criteria in #5 (I am included in this). This is completely at the discretion of the dealer and not fully supported or encouraged by Ford Canada. The only way for this to occur is that you must have low enough kilometres on the vehicle that it can be resold as new so the dealer does not lose out (Ford Canada will not buy these vehicles back so the dealer has to be able to re-sell them). If you fall into this, you will not be eligible for compensation. The compensation instead goes to the dealer to cover the costs.

I know this as that was the choice I had to make. I did not feel the dealer should be out of pocket the expenses he incurred going above and beyond to get me a vehicle so I did not have to wait for parts. It is unfortunate that Ford Canada is not being more helpful to their dealers, however this is what it is. I had to give up compensation on my end so that he was reimbursed. Based on my situation though, I was able to secure some compensation for the extensive wait I experienced in delivering the vehicle and the terrible customer service I experienced from Ford Customer service while I was waiting (considered a separate issue than the water issue).

• Like 1

post-36484-0-05208100-1440806157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maxtegroom

One of the reasons I don't mind the rental.. Purchased a SEL.. Rental is a Titanium so I don't mind the upgrade ha ha.. B)

I've gone head on at ford with the dealership General Manager on my side (Along with the shop manager, Shop leads and others) trying to get them to take back my swimming pool.. The GM Had a BRAND NEW non-effected unit sitting out front we could of driven away with that afternoon.. Nope.. GM Asked for an explanation, they skirted around and said that our vehicle doesn't meet the requirements..My vehicle is the worst any dealer has seen in Western Canada.. They've had a few come in with minor water issues, that they were able to get back to the owner in 48hrs..

I'd have told the SOB from Ford Canada to take the car and drive it a couple weeks while praying for rain.

Your fortunate to have a dealer on your side of the situation. The normal scenario is the dealer and company feuding with each other because neither one wants to deal with the situation.

Just an update on my story. Vehicle is still sitting at the dealer, 73 days now. On August 27th I was told, by Ford that they will be taking my vehicle back and settling with me in the near future. Hopefully they will follow through soon. My dealer principal has been very helpful in getting things this far.

Just an update on my story. Vehicle is still sitting at the dealer, 73 days now. On August 27th I was told, by Ford that they will be taking my vehicle back and settling with me in the near future. Hopefully they will follow through soon. My dealer principal has been very helpful in getting things this far.

Edgy; Here is the 50K question= Will you be buying another Edge?