2016 Issues?

Denicio

I am pretty sure the one I drove last night was a 2016........but I could be TOTALLY wrong on this. I'll email the sales rep. Truth be told I was so overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles this car has that I did not pay attention to the sticker all that much.

Did they fix all these issues in the 2015?

The whole Friends and Family deep discount has me REALLY looking at the Edge. But not if its a problem child.

I have a 2015 Sport, and have experienced none of these issues. I saw your post in another thread about the engine shutdown issue. Keep in mind that they're selling thousands and thousands of these and you're seeing a small subset of these cars. There's also a whole group of people (in general, not on this forum), who only come onto a site to post about something if something goes wrong. The pillar leak was a big deal early in the 2015 production, but it seems that they've got it under control now. My Edge was built in August, and has no issue at all with leaks.

Thanks Joe! I thought about exactly what you said. Just nervous about spending 40K on a car that SOME are known to shut down. I am not seeing an issue like that with any of the other cars I have been entertaining.

Illuminator, I stand corrected, yes I see that the 2016's are not even in production according to another thread. I thought it was odd that a salesman give me an edge brochure for a 2015 when I had just driven a 2016. It was NOT a 2016. Silly me. I was distracted with all the LED lights and screens on the 2015.

I am pretty sure the one I drove last night was a 2016........but I could be TOTALLY wrong on this. I'll email the sales rep. Truth be told I was so overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles this car has that I did not pay attention to the sticker all that much.

There are no production 2016's on dealer lots. And easy way to tell is the version of Sync in the Dash. If it's got the 4 quadrants and dark colours, it's a 2015. If the Sync has white/bright colours with 3 sections on the home screen, than it's a 2016.

The startup dates thread indicates that Dec 2nd is when 2016s start rolling off the line. Also, people who have orders in are being told January delivery at the earliest.

Prior to buying the Edge(should be picking it up this week), I almost bought a Cherokee Trailhawk V6, had the paperwork made up just told the dealer that we would need to wait a night to think about it. That night I looked into the Jeep forums and it was page after page of vehicle shutting down, lower power mode kicking in and failing transmissions. Told the dealer to scrap the deal and I would be looking elsewhere.

Yep! I too looked at the new Jeep. The new Cherokees are especially nice on the eyes. Then the interwebz told me that what lurks under the hood...past and present...is something to avoid.

I have even looked into the newest Outbacks. All you have to do is type in google "Outback Winshield Problems" to see a hugely ignored issue of windshields cracking for no reason. Bizarre!

I will say as HUGELY HELPFUL these auto forums are to prospective buyers...it sure makes getting a new car all the harder....for good reason.

• Like 1

Yup, I was between 4 vehicles in the end, Infiniti QX50(not enough cargo space for the size of the vehicle), MB GLA45 AMG(cost of ownership scared the other half off but the 380+HP in a small package made it tough to give up), Cadillac SVX(the local dealer was a tool and there is only one close by for me that added with the poor gas mileage) and the Edge(had all the bells and whistles, the power I wanted and got an awesome deal on top of it 200 over invoice).

Luminator,

You seemed to have been in the same haunts I have been.

I was eyeing the Outback, The brand new Benz that's not even out yet, I drove the QX50 2 days ago.

Outback's windshield issues has me off their lot.

Benz's historical reliability after 100K miles has me eliminating it.

I had the papers being drawn up on the QX50 and then discovered to the surprise of Me, the sales man and the sales manger that it could NOT tow up to 5000 lbs, as they assured me it could. Whew, that was a close one.

I drove the 2015 Murano and it reaks of luxary but its lacking in power and can only tow 2000 MAX!

I wandered alone on the Acura lot yesterday as they were closed. I discounted them the moment I found out you must put premium gas in them. Plus the RDX is not rated for towing. I found that odd.

On a last minute whim I drove a Edge Titanium last night. The Geek in me was beaming! Its a nerds paradise! It seemed a tad underpowered though. I WAS going to test drive the V6 sport tonight but just found out seconds ago via google that you cant add a tow package that gets you more than 2000 lbs to the sport. Not sure why. You can only tow up to 2000 lbs with the Sport. Sigh.

I am still in a quandary.

German cars are out of the question. I now have to ask myself do I step UP in level of SUV or do I just get me a new car and buy a used truck for my few towing needs. We are buying some land and will need to tow from time to time. 90% of what I drive is just me in the car. I am just getting too old and too fat to stay in this Mazda 3 of mine. Climbing up and out of it is too much. That's why the QX 50 was nice. It was just the right size and loads of power and pep.

Agreed 100%.

But you'd have to agree that an engine suddenly shutting down on a new car is something to really be concerned about. It does me. The thread on this forum has several folks telling stories that were almost deadly.

Cracking windshield and quirky Infotainment systems are one thing but a car shutting completely off and seeing it happen to several Edge owners. That raises concern in my universe.

I liked the Forester XT before I test drove it but after I did I could not stand it because I found the CVT transmission awkward. I first could not put my finger on what I did not like about it until I rented a Maxima on vacation over the summer and it was the same feeling. It just does not feel like a car so I crossed off anything with a CVT right then. That killed most of the Nissans and all of the Subaru's.

Cars die all the time every day for a variety of reasons. Deadly is a little sensationalistic. If you're driving in such a way that other cars are going to hit you if your car stalls then you're probably not driving safely to begin with.

Not trying to minimalize the problem - I wouldn't want a vehicle that dies constantly and it needs to be fixed. Ford had similar problems on the Fusion with bad throttle bodies. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed simply and quickly.

I liked the Forester XT before I test drove it but after I did I could not stand it because I found the CVT transmission awkward. I first could not put my finger on what I did not like about it until I rented a Maxima on vacation over the summer and it was the same feeling. It just does not feel like a car so I crossed off anything with a CVT right then. That killed most of the Nissans and all of the Subaru's.

For me it's the fact that the RPM doesn't change when accelerating. It wasn't bad and there was no problem from a performance standpoint but it just didn't feel right.

... Ford had similar problems on the Fusion with bad throttle bodies. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed simply and quickly.

They did! My wife's 2010 would die in traffic and scare the hell out us. It took Ford several months before they sent out a TSB fix for the issue, which involved replacing the TB with an updated one and a re-flash. I went out and bought a new TB before we received the notice to inform us to bring it in for service. Since I had out of pocket expense for the purchase of the new TB, Ford reimbursed that expense and did a re-flash. No problems since...

Now Now, don't be so "Sensationalistic". You know you guys were not really scared and it did not scare the hell out of you!!!! (Sarcasm mode off).

Yeah, this is what concerns me. Maybe its 1 out of every 1000 built but still. This is not a radio that wont play this is a car dying while in traffic. I don't really get the whole "Depends on how you are driving" comment by the moderator. A dying car in traffic is clearly a danger to the passengers and anyone around you regardless of how one is driving.

Its good to hear that the update fixed the issue. Do you feel its TOTALLY resolved this issue for you and others having this issue with Edges?

Edited by Denicio

I spoke with Ford Customer Care today and other than answer the question I had primarily called about, I was told that Ford planned to have a 2016 on my dealer's lot (and others) Jan 16th @ 3:00 for customer inspection. That's pretty specific...I'll believe it when I see it.

It's probably a pre-production model. They typically send them to the various dealerships for training purposes. That's how they can schedule it ahead of time. That won't be a dealership vehicle.

Denicio; Yeah I think so. There were a pretty good number of 2.5 I4 Fusion owners that had their problems fixed by that Customer Satisfaction Program action. It has been indicated (in another thread) that TSB 15-0123 addresses the 3.5 Edge issue. We will have to see if it does indeed fix the issue.

Edited by Chipster

Scary and deadly are 2 different things. Obvously it would be scary.

If you take chances and pull in front of other vehicles that are too close to safely stop if your vehicle dies then you're not driving safely. If you drive safely the other vehicle will have plenty of time to stop therefore it's not a "deadly" situation.

The only time it should be remotely dangerous is if it happens in the middle of a busy freeway and you're trying to move over to the shoulder. Nothing you can do about that.

All true, given that other drivers are paying 100% attention to driving, which, today, is 100% unlikely. Too many fun things to pay attention to, too boring to constantly worry about safety & responsibility :) Can you rely on them to do anything but panic? Can you rely on them to be in good enough shape to not need POWER brakes or POWER steering? Can you rely on them to RTFM? Ya, right.

Intelligent collision avoidance systems of the future will help somewhat, but they cannot overcome physics. All vehicles would have to be interconnected to keep the word "safety" meaningful.