The rubber edge of air filter Motorcraft FA-1884 is a little too thick

nc3632

I was trying to get the air filter of my Ford Edge 2012 replaced. The Motorcraft FA-1884 is the recommended one by the owner's manual, however its rubber edge seems a little too thick -- I was having a hard time to putt the air box cover back on.

Is it just a defected air filter? Or is this a common problem? Anybody got experience and could shed light on it?

Thanks very much

Compare the thickness to the old filter. It's the first time I read about someone complaining of its thickness. I know that installing the filter is a little bit difficult, make sure the tabs are in all the way before pressing the cover down. There should be force/pressure required when putting the clips back, otherwise how would it seal?

• Like 2

Make sure it is seated. Then look down to the right side and see the plastic tabs. Lift the left side up so that it is like a clam shell then push hard to insert the tabs into the slots. once all the way in then push down on the left side (no matter how much she complains) then once down clamp the two metal spring clamps into place and the spring clamps will take some effort. Result.....Next time will be much easier and enjoyable. The rest of you just have dirty minds.......LOL

• Like 1

Make sure it is seated. Then look down to the right side and see the plastic tabs. Lift the left side up so that it is like a clam shell then push hard to insert the tabs into the slots. once all the way in then push down on the left side (no matter how much she complains) then once down clamp the two metal spring clamps into place and the spring clamps will take some effort. Result.....Next time will be much easier and enjoyable. The rest of you just have dirty minds.......LOL

Thanks macbwt!

That was what I did. But at the last step, clamping the metal spring into place, I was not able to make it. I felt like I was giving it too much pressure and was afraid to break them. I'll give it another try since this is the right way.

If you have a rubber mallet, you can use that to help you. Or you can brace your palms along the top of the filter box while you pull up on the clamps, while reaching over the left fender. It's harder trying it while standing in front of the vehicle. I too did not realize how much effort it was first time around and earned a couple of painful reminders :)

Just curious, did you put the old one next to the new one on a flat surface and compare what differences exist?

Be interesting to see if they were made differently, or if the existing one became compressed.

The materials being used are kind of different -- Old one is more firm and the new one is soft. Also the new one is obviously thicker than the old one.

• 3 weeks later...