What is up with the Paint on my Edge? SEE PICS!

ThePit

I live in Germany and I ordered my Edge through the Military Exchange. After waiting 5 months it finally arrived. Did the inspection and did not see any issues. Well finally yesterday I got to detail the Edge. OMG!! :angry: The two rear "sail" pannels have hardly any paint! You can see the primer! Then I started to really look. Under the driver's rear door, there is no paint. Even under the door handles. What is up with that? Someone at Ford had to have seen this when they were putting on the rubber seals. I don't get it! This my 2nd Ford and I guess my worst night mares are starting to come true! Has anyone seen this with their Edge? Suggestions?

Rear Sail pannel. This is not dust, it is the brown primer!

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Under the door handles!

IMG_0116.jpg

Under rear door!

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Inside Door Jam!

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Edited by ThePit

Wow- thats got to be a defect. I would definitely have something done about the paint. I can't believe that got through quality control. They must have been at lunch when your Edge came through.

I'm sure your local dealer can find a place to have it painted. Since your in Germany, they probably have some very good shops who do painting on Mercedes and BMW's.

Edited by tiaquessa

Wow- thats got to be a defect. I would definitely have something done about the paint. I can't believe that got through quality control. They must have been at lunch when your Edge came through.

I'm sure your local dealer can find a place to have it painted. Since your in Germany, they probably have some very good shops who do painting on Mercedes and BMW's.

That's ashame man, very sorry to hear about this. Is it still under some kind of warranty? I wonder if Ford can do anything about compensation and refer you to a local paint show for repair. That's simply unnaceptable

That very last picture appears to have black paint on the rubber seal. Maybe that is just the way I looked at it. I would return that machine and get my money back. I personally would never be happy if they repaint the vehicle.

This is a real travesty, every person that touched that vehicle on the line had to notice some of that thin paint. Especially the guy that put the door seals on the vehicle. How could QC miss all that and allow the vehicle out the door.

I have seen this before on some vehicles but none of them were Fords.

Here is the update. I took it to the local Ford Dealership here in Germany that is authorized to work on American Spec cars. He too was shocked at the quality control issue. I had taken the Edge to him last month about the Sail pannels and he was Authorized by Ford to make the repairs. After seeing the BS that is under 2 of the 4 doors, front fender, door handles, rear tail gate, he is calling a rep in to take a look at the car. Hopefully I will get some kind of retribution for this complete lack of quality. This my friends, is exactly why the Big 3 are going down the tubes! At least 1 person if not 10 saw the imperfections in the paint and they still allowed the vehicle to be built and shipped. I work very hard for for what little money I make in the Army. When I see things like this going on in my country, I get a sick feeling in the gut. Yea you do not see every little piece when the doors are shut, but that is not the point. $34,000 is the point! Wish me luck and please show everyone that is interested in seeing. Does anyone know where and who I can write or call about this? If so please email me:

robert.c.griffin@us.army.mil

Oh and by the way, most of our car manufacturers will stop painting under the door and in the engine compartment. They figure this saves money and us customers will not see it anyway! I call BS!

Edited by ThePit

More Pics for your viewing plessure!

Under the tailgate:

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Better pics on rear driver side door jam:

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Underneath driver's side rear door:

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Front driver's fender

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Under Door handle:

IMG_0131.jpg

Underneath Passenger Front door:

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

This royally sucks. Now that I am reading about this, I am going to inspect my SE to make sure I don't see this. If I do, there will be a vehicle change.

Unfortunately I believe Ford only is obligated to repair this and not replace. I would be furious, I would want another vehicle, I would also want a million dollars and a pet monkey, but unfortunately Ford is not that kind of Genie.

That really bites................I am such a freak about my vehicles that I would be sick and never feel satisfied with a repaint job on a new vehicle.

Yea I am with you about being very pickey about my cars. I have elected to not have the front fender or door handle painted. If you are not looking for the bad places you do not see them. The rear sail pannels are too obvious and must be painted. Also under the doors and door jam will be painted. Unfourtunately, this has turned me against the Blue Oval and I am heading back to GM as soon as I can. I had a Thunderbird SC, and had nothing but trouble. So this total lack of quality control and "just not giving a crap" has turned me away from what I am sure is a really nice vehicle.

Unbelieveable. I would write a letter (with pictures) and send it to the Ford CEO. Copy your local congressman and senator. Copy Stars and Stripes. Make a stink....absolutely unacceptable. You deserve a new vehicle on an expedited basis.

This is wierd, the Edge and MKX have the best paint of any Ford or Lincoln product that I have seen in 10 years.

I have seen this a few times now and always with black paint. My bodyshop manager has been warning me about the oncoming water based paints that Ford and everyone else is mandated to use by the government and their environmental laws. In our case we have claimed warranty and had our bodyshop re spray the affected area's. BMW and Porsche use water based paint so a German painter should have no problem.

Buzz

This car definately got missed sprayed by the bots AND the paint inspection folk missed it too. WOW is all i can say. When a car like this makes it through paint and gets caught before it is loaded on a truck, it is returned to "body/paint shop" for a manual paint fix. Minor under spray happens all the time and gets fixed sometime after it comes out of ovens. However this one IS RIDICULOUS!

Take it to a Ford/Merc dealership and it should be taken care of.

OMG,

I worked for one of the big three in quality control, and this is DEFINETLY A BUY BACK..

DO NOT, DO NOT TAKE ANY GUFF. THIS IS THE WORST factory PAINT JOB I HAVE EVER SEEN.

DO NOT JUST LET THEM PAINT THIS. DEMAND A BUY BACK OR EXCHANGE.

The paint system was not monitored and it was almost out of paint when this car was painted. It was suppose to be returned to plant becuase of this.

Get as public as you can on this issue, post in every ford forum and get the local factory rep on this.

THEY WILL OFFER YOU MONEY BACK TOO, DON'T TAKE IT. THIS IS BAD...

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT FORD DOES NOT WANT PUBLIC,

I am from Dearborn MI, FORD country, and I know a lot of people there, I will try to help. Please keep us informed.

Edited by Tiffany

• 3 weeks later...

i have an 87 camaro iroc that my cousin bought new. the hood had to be repainted under warranty because it was fading quickly. long story short--21 years later the hood looks GREAT the rest is faded now. new paint job may not be that bad of an idea!!!

I'd still be very very upset and fight it til they bought it back and gave a hell of a good deal on another. say a FULLY LOaded at no extra cost.

Good Luck, think i'll go double check my black Edge now :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

what Tiffany said...

and yeah I'd accept a repaint by a German, authorized body shop. depending on the replacement time because you're way over there. that's just me, YMMV

you definitely deserve much better Robert!! best of luck! :) I'll be watching to see what happens

• 1 month later...
what Tiffany said...

and yeah I'd accept a repaint by a German, authorized body shop. depending on the replacement time because you're way over there. that's just me, YMMV

you definitely deserve much better Robert!! best of luck! :) I'll be watching to see what happens

I wonder why he even took delivery of the car in the first place?

I wonder why he even took delivery of the car in the first place?

Does that really matter? I do not have the luxary of running down to a dealership with all my needs. I am a soldier living in Germany. I ordered the car and it took 5 months for delivery. Once it arrived I inspected the car but it was inside a building so the thin paint on the rear did not show up. And no I did not get down on the ground checking under the doors because you would like after paying $34000 I would not have to do that.

So katiesdaddy, instead of looking at me for the issue, look at the bigger picture. Why did Ford produce a crappy product. OBTW, I am not the only one with paint like this.

Oh and the Plant manager refuses to answer my emails.

Unfortunately being in another country may make resolution more difficult, but you never know. I would get the zone manager for Ford involved as well as the credit company if you financed it. I've found Ford Credit to be very helpful in the past with issues on the car that didn't really deal with the financing. Be a pita and talk to everyone you can, the squeeky wheel gets the grease so squeek as loud as you can.

As for posting your VIN on a public forum... I think we can all agree that there is no reason to do that.

I know exactly what's wrong with that..

Your car has been painted, TOTALLY painted and they did a great job on it too.

It has been RE-PAINTED! that door opening shows that it's been re-painted, they don't paint them like that from the factory.

Used, Stolen? More to this story than appears.

You can't help seeing all this on the doors and rear door when you open it.

Post the VIN so we can see what it was originally built as. Post the VIN

I also have a black edge that looks like this. IT is missing paint all over the place.

Does that really matter? I do not have the luxary of running down to a dealership with all my needs. I am a soldier living in Germany. I ordered the car and it took 5 months for delivery. Once it arrived I inspected the car but it was inside a building so the thin paint on the rear did not show up. And no I did not get down on the ground checking under the doors because you would like after paying $34000 I would not have to do that.

So katiesdaddy, instead of looking at me for the issue, look at the bigger picture. Why did Ford produce a crappy product. OBTW, I am not the only one with paint like this.

Oh and the Plant manager refuses to answer my emails.

I agree with you. Why did Ford allow such a bad paint job to enter the mkt for the customer to only have it repainted at a bodyshop. I have the same problem. I guess 34k does not buy quality anymore. I thought it would have