Helpful information to buyers after placing your new Edge order?

Chipster

I am weeks away from placing an order for my new Edge and remembered that there was a lot of useful information scattered throughout the "2015 Edge" threads. It would be very helpful to me, and I bet others, to have a single thread to find out the varied information that could / should come from the dealer, as well as order confirmation, info. tracking, and anything else that might be useful to an awaiting customer. Was there something you found useful in your post ordering experience that might fit well in this sort of thread? Please consider adding it here.

1. The online order tracking tools (www.cotus.ford.com, wwwqa.cotus.ford.com, www.cotusb.ford.com, www.ordertracking.ford.com) do not work for the Edge. Don't even bother.
  2. Ask your dealer before you put a down payment how many Edges they had allocation for in the last month. Ask how many special orders are ahead of you that have not been scheduled yet. (only do this if you have a deadline like an expiring lease, these questions kind of make the dealer look at you funny)
  3. Dealers get allocation for the week on Wednesday. So they normally submit orders on Wednesday. They can do it any time, but don't get upset if they don't submit it right away.
  4. You can ask your dealer for a DORA or the order # as soon as they place the order (You'll need the dealer code/ID too. You can find it here: http://www.fleet.ford.com/fleetdealers/).
  5. Scheduling of orders happens Thursday night. So it's best to ask for order status updates on Fridays.
  6. FordService on this board will help you track your order if you PM them once a week (they're out of the office indefinitely as of today, but they should come back) If not, you can send a Tweet to @FordService or send a direct message after you follow one another. There is also a 1800 # (1 (800) 392-3673) but I found their status updates to be behind. The phone # did not know that the order was scheduled to a week or a day.
  7. Ford's delivery ETA once your car is scheduled to a day may change, once it's built, it seems to be accurate for 90% of people.
  8. You can get your window sticker if you have a VIN about a week before your scheduled build date using this tool: http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html

I was trying to find a delivery checklist to go over for production issues before you sign for your car. If somebody has that, it'd be good to post here.

The best advice I can give is figure out exactly what options/accessories you want before walking into the dealer. Go to Truecar.com and find out the average selling prices and invoice. Set a target (make a reasonable offer below your target, dealers will not negotiate if you don't make an initial offer that is near what they can sell it for) and reservation price and be prepared to walk out if the dealer can't beat your reservation (maximum price). Have the dealer write down everything they promised on paper including the out the door price before putting down a deposit.

If you hate negotiating, go to blueovalforums.com and get an X-plan PIN or join a club that has that as a member benefit. As an added benefit, by using the X-Plan PIN, the dealer has to show you the actual invoice which will show the MSRP, invoice, X, D, and A plan prices as well as dealer holdback. It's nice to know. (Note: the actual invoice will not be available until the dealer is billed for your order, which is the date your window sticker becomes available)

Here's my favorite part... Ford's private cash offers. Ford offers private cash offers on random if you request brochures on Ford's web site. (search for "ford edge brochure" on google for the link). From my extensive testing it took around 2-3 weeks to receive a brochure. About 1/4 of the brochures I ordered had the private cash offer. By the time I received the brochure with the offer, it would expire in about 2 weeks. I found out that if you called Ford customer service # (1 (800) 392-3673) and asked nicely a day after requesting a brochure online and asked the rep if I had any private cash offers available, they'd provide the same private cash # that would come in the brochure. This would give you a total of about 4-5 weeks to use the private cash offer. Currently Ford is offering $750 private cash for the Edge in certain markets. I cannot confirm that my strategy worked, but I got a private cash offer for the Edge (or any Ford) by requesting an Edge brochure. I got another private cash offer for a Mustang (or any Ford) by requesting a brochure for a Mustang. I received no private cash offers for the F150, Fusion, Escape, or Explorer. My best guess is that they give out more private cash offers for the models that are selling the slowest for the season (Mustang in the winter) I requested many more Edge brochures than anything else.

Edited by cab2g
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Cougster! As it turns out it tells me that the sticker has not been generated yet. This begs the question; When is the sticker generated? I was told that my Edge was to be built this past Mon.(the 22nd) Not sure if that happened or not though? Regardless, when is the sticker normally generated?

You need to cut and paste this into the address at the top of your browser:

www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=

And add your VIN# after the "vin=", THEN press enter...

Anton

Thanks Cougster! As it turns out it tells me that the sticker has not been generated yet. This begs the question; When is the sticker generated? I was told that my Edge was to be built this past Mon.(the 22nd) Not sure if that happened or not though? Regardless, when is the sticker normally generated?

Even for my 2011 MKX I get the same message, so it doesn't really mean your Edge's window stick wasn't generated. Ford apparently changed their policy to access the window stickers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...