Very dissappointed with 2015 EDGE standard equipment

My wife just brought home a 2015 EDGE sel. Good price (I think). However, discovered that it doesn't have HID headlights, a garage door opener or even remote lift gate in the cabin.

Jeez, cars $10,000 less have these features standard. The projector lights are quite bad. I had projector lights in 1995 and were better than these.

The rest of the car is OK.

If those features had been standard the price would have been higher. Cheaper vehicles with those features standard are missing other features that Edge has. It's just a question of how the mfr packages the options.

Did you buy the vehicle thinking those were standard without checking?

One would think a $40,000 vehicle would have a heated steering wheel. Guess what? Toyota Highlander does not. If you want heated seats AND heated steering wheel, you have to take their $45k (starting) Highlander and are forced to only get 2 seats in the 2nd row (captains chair).

The 36-38k Subaru Forester doesn't even have blind spot detection (yeah, go figure).

That's why I'm anal-retentive about my researching my new car.

HIDs may be able to be added on after the fact? (I don't know)

It is interesting to see the differences in manufacturer, or even model lines. (Nissan Maxima has heated steering wheel I believe, but the 36k rogue does not).

Not too uncommon, really. None of that is standard on most BMW/Mercedes/Audi/VW SUVs. They want you to pay for extra features, sadly. My moms $60k Mercedes ML doesn't have HID headlights and homelink and the lift gate were options.

• Like 1

Two different technologies. Projector uses a dedicated lens to disperse the light that is produced by halogen bulb. HID (high intensity discharge) uses XENON gas to produce a much brighter and whiter light.

Unfortunately the projectors on the FORDS are not very good. I've had cars as far back as 1995 that much better light distribution. These throw light all over the place and way to high on low beam.

Edited by cxxxv

Xenon HID's are pretty much always an upgrade option on cars in the US, whereas they are pretty much standard equipment on base models in europe.

I honestly think that the DOT should pass a rule that states HID or LED lighting has to be standard. I think it would prevent many more driving fatalities. In my area North Eastern PA, there have been 9 driving related fatalities in the past two weeks. And I think many could have been prevented had some of these vehicles been equipped with HID beams.

Ford forces you to buy the stupid panoramic roof and the 401A option package in order to get the HID's on the Edge Sport. Kind of ridiculous, since I didn't want to spend the extra 1500 for a sunroof that I will never even use. The one time I did open it, it rattled like crazy, and I've heard some people mention that it adds a lot of weight to the vehicle and that they are susceptible to cracking or getting stuck in the open position.

Ford really needs to make it more fair to the consumer who just wants enhanced safety features such as HID lighting, instead of treating it like a luxury that has to be purchased in unison with the clunky, poorly designed pano roof.

You dont have to have vista roof for HIDs. My sport lacks vista has HIDs. Personally, I'd rather have the distance of a HID over thr foreground lighting of a LED

I would agree. I've driven a new Explorer with the LED headlights, and while they are bright, they're not as focused or long-range as HIDs. I think it's just Ford's design. We have a 2015 M4 with LED headlights and those are by far the best headlights I've ever seen at night.

Those are exactly the points I was referring to. This crap of certain packages is absurd. I have had many BMW's and every single one I Have configures exactly how I wanted.

Whatever it is about FORD's projector beams they simply are not well designed.

This crap of certain packages is absurd. Whatever it is about FORD's projector beams they simply are not well designed.

So do you think that I should not order a 2016 Sport at all because to get HID headlights (in Canada) I have to buy the 401A package at $ 4500.00 cdn and get technology things that I don’t want and or just keep my 2015 Ti? No fun in that. ;)

I went a drove a new 2016 Edge Sport last weekend.......

While it is nice...Im thinking my 2014 Edge Sport has more power and features.

Headlight were weak and foglights were not available.

Price was 1000 off window sticker as salesperson told me "Its really hard to get a SPORT "

Ill Pass !

Those are exactly the points I was referring to. This crap of certain packages is absurd. I have had many BMW's and every single one I Have configures exactly how I wanted.

Whatever it is about FORD's projector beams they simply are not well designed.

Makes sense in such a mass-produced vehicle. Production costs would be much higher if every single option was standalone. I do agree that HIDs should be something that is a standalone option for those who want it, or part of a less expensive package.

The Japanese manufacturers are worse. With Acura for example, you have base, tech, and advance trim levels. That's it. Difference in price between them is very significant due to the differences in content, but it makes it so that there are no such thing as stand alone options. Just trim levels.

I went a drove a new 2016 Edge Sport last weekend.......

While it is nice...Im thinking my 2014 Edge Sport has more power and features.

Headlight were weak and foglights were not available.

Price was 1000 off window sticker as salesperson told me "Its really hard to get a SPORT "

Ill Pass !

Hmm. Your Edge is nice, but you might want to do some more research. Gen II Sport is significantly more powerful. It has an F150 engine, after all. Regarding the headlights, was it a 401A with HIDs and did you test drive at night? The HID bulbs in the 2016 are the same as your 2014.

The 2016s haven't been sitting on dealer's lots for too long as they just went into production in mid December, so there are no incentives. For comparison, the 2015 I picked up a few weeks ago was heavily incentivized (thousands $ off).

• 3 weeks later...

The 2014 Sport is noteven close to the 15-16. In fact the 3.5 sel with 18"rims is the quickest 0-60 for the 2014 era.

My lights in my 15 F150 suck too. To get the Led upgrade you have to opt for Lariat anf the 502pkg to boot. 15000 bucks for that upgrade over my Xlt with every option avail. Thanks Ford. Edge projectors are better so you can imagine how horrid the trucks light output is.