2011 edge limited missfire

seandonato73

Bought the wife a 2011 edge about a year ago. Great car till recently. Started to missfire on number 2 and 3. I replaced the coils. Checked the plugs. The looked good to me.... car ran great for about a week. My wife took it on a trip and said when she pulled onto the highway it had no power and started to shake. Same codes again. It seems to start missing around 4k rpm. Once below it stops missing. Thanks for the help

Welcome, Sean, sorry to hear the Edge is having issues! Be aware that if the fault was indeed with the coils, it can originate from the PCM (rebuilding PCMs is possible). And yes, there is a TSB for that. Banks 2 & 3 are particularly prone to heatsoak due to proximity to the firewall. What were/are the codes you saw? How many miles on the Edge?

That said, leaky/clogged fuel injectors can cause problems as well. High rpm misfires are due to inadequacy of spark, fuel, or both. If spark has been addressed, you are left with fuel, and hence my fear that an injector may be next up for replacement.

I assume you have already changed out the air filter and PCV valve with no effect. Tried running fuel injector cleaner like Techron or BG 44K through the gas tank?

If you want to try something a little different, add enough TC-W3 oil (marine oil, full synthetic, from WalMart/SuperTech) so you end up with 5oz/tank final ratio at next fillup before pumping in gas. That will also smooth out response significantly and restore "lost" power. It has worked for my 2007 when nothing else has. Even a BG service did not help, if you can believe it! And yes, I always use Top Tier gas (BP or Exxon).

Also, I highly recommend testing the Edge for yourself with an OBD II reader and an app on smartphone/tablet to see/log what is going on. Monitor fuel trims, O2 sensors, catalytic converter temperatures, etc. I certainly hope the converters are not glowing red hot!

• Like 2

It's got 110 k on it. The codes are p0302 p0303 and p0420. We run fuel additive in it regularly. Fuel pressure is one of the first things I checked. It was good. I had it down at my uncles shop and put spark plugs in it. It seemed to help a little. Guess I'll add some two stroke oil and see if it helps at all. Thanks foe the help so far.

Here's the TSB I was referring to earlier:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=176650

The tipoff is usually P035x codes. If the coil is cracked or has heat damage, the preferred action is to replace the PCM and all 6 coils/plugs.

How did you test the fuel pressure and what readings were you getting? Engine running fuel pressure should be around 65 psi.

Here's the TSB I was referring to earlier:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=176650

The tipoff is usually P035x codes. If the coil is cracked or has heat damage, the preferred action is to replace the PCM and all 6 coils/plugs.

How did you test the fuel pressure and what readings were you getting? Engine running fuel pressure should be around 65 psi.

The TSB was for vehicles built before 1/1/2008. OP's Edge is a 2011.

• Like 1

You sure the CAT is not burned and clogged. Power loss from a damaged CAT is a tip off especially when trying to achieve higher RPM. cause could of been the misfires dumping raw fuel into it or the O2 sensors failing and allowing rich mixtures to over heat the CAT.

take it off and then look through it. You should see a grayish white honey comb. If you can not see through it and it is broken with pieces melted or crack and crumbing. It is no longer any good. You might be able to also tell if you hear clinking and rattling sounds from the cat while the engine is running.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my Ford Edge 2011 SE, misfire was happening when rpm passed 4k, after several troubleshooting with dealer and spending around $1k they found that it was one of the coils and they replaced with $100 and hopefully the problem solved, I hope this will help your issue.

one thing more, usually misfire happens on cylinder number 1, 2, and 3 because they've been positioned under air inlet and outlet and gets hot a lot, I've replace those numbers fuel injector for more than 2 or 3 times and most of misfire is coming from those ones only.

Regards...

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay. We dropped the edge off at ford. They called and said I had two injectors that were intermittently firing. They replaced number 2 and 3 and flushed the fuel system. For reasons beyond me the cat needed replaced too.

$1800 later it's running good again. I never heard of injector capping out at 100k. Or that wiping out a cat... but the wife is happy again. And you all know what they say. Happy wife happy life.

Did you remove the engine cover to help get some of the heat away from that area.

That cover lives in my basement lol. I took that off as soon as we got the edge home.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Similar situation to my 2011 edge se. Misfire above 4000rpm. Turned out it was worn plugs. Only 72000 miles. They claim 100k miles is the life but its not true. I changed them and no more misfire.

Note: if you figure in the number of hours the Edge was idling you would find it most likely exceeded 100K miles of run time.

• Like 2