Ventilated/cooled seats in the 2016 fixed?

Just got back from my 2nd visit to the dealer for the seat back non coolness.

Attached is TSB16-0080 which confirms what others have said: it is the same fix as TSB15-0166 plus additional information.

I had a good talk with the technician. I've always been under the impression that the seat back cooling mechanism included a TED (ThermoElectric Device). In fact, the seat back only has a blower that sucks supposedly cool ambiant air from under the seat and funnels it up the seat back. This approach probably relies on the fact that cold air falls, hot air rises. But...

So, on a hot day, you get the A/C going and, if like me, you leave it on Auto Climate. What typically happens is that the upper vents will get selected because the sensors (I think) detect that the upper portion of the car is much warmer because of heat coming through the windows, and they'll likely stay like that for some time. You may feel the cool air coming out of the vents but the overall ambiant air temperature is far from that. That cool A/C air blowing near the upper portion of the car gets warmed up. By the time it gets to the floor, it's much warmer than what comes out of the A/C vents.

So here's what the dealer suggests: select the lower vents, so cooler air gets in the seat back blower. My answer: why did I pay for Auto Climate again?

TSB16-0080.pdf

Edited by cv27
  • Like 1

I thought I had seen a post on the seat bottom having a TED, but can't find it. Can anyone confirm or refute a TED is used for the seat bottom and perhaps provide details?

Anyone?

Some of the posters have access to the schematics. I'd be really grateful: I could then put this to rest and move on with my life ;)

cv27, what are you looking for, specifically? The Titanium Edge has two TED's per each seat; one for the bottom (seat portion) and one for the back.

The bottom one vents out to the free air under the seat. The one for the back vents to the inside of the seat and that is where the problem begins. The ambient air used by the TED gets heated and reaches a point that the TED can't overcome the heat in the system. If you get the hot air out of the seat back, then it works fine.

Same problem on the F150 and the Explorer. All use similar seat designs. TWakefield from F150Forum.com has developed a fix to help alleviate this. I've applied it to my 2015 Edge, after Ford applied the TSB, which didn't fix it. After all this, my seat finally works like it should.

FYI

Paul

cv27, what are you looking for, specifically? The Titanium Edge has two TED's per each seat; one for the bottom (seat portion) and one for the back.

The bottom one vents out to the free air under the seat. The one for the back vents to the inside of the seat and that is where the problem begins. The ambient air used by the TED gets heated and reaches a point that the TED can't overcome the heat in the system. If you get the hot air out of the seat back, then it works fine.

Same problem on the F150 and the Explorer. All use similar seat designs. TWakefield from F150Forum.com has developed a fix to help alleviate this. I've applied it to my 2015 Edge, after Ford applied the TSB, which didn't fix it. After all this, my seat finally works like it should.

FYI

Paul

Hi Paul,

There seems to be confusion around 'how' the seats are cooled. If you read my previous post, the technician says that the seat back is cooled by funneling up ambiant cool air via a fan at the bottom of the seat. You mention the seat back making use of a TED as well as the bottom.

Does each piece, seat back and bottom, have a TED, each with or without a fan?

What I'd like to see are the schematics for the ventilated seats, bottom and back, for the 2015 Edge (Titanium). That in my opinion would settled the debate once and for all. It would also help me determine if the technician knows what is is talking about.

Hi Paul,

There seems to be confusion around 'how' the seats are cooled. If you read my previous post, the technician says that the seat back is cooled by funneling up ambiant cool air via a fan at the bottom of the seat. You mention the seat back making use of a TED as well as the bottom.

Does each piece, seat back and bottom, have a TED, each with or without a fan?

What I'd like to see are the schematics for the ventilated seats, bottom and back, for the 2015 Edge (Titanium). That in my opinion would settled the debate once and for all. It would also help me determine if the technician knows what is is talking about.

The seat bottom and back each have their own TED, with a fan on each. I have seen the schematics and even taken apart a Titanium seat myself. Your mechanic does not know what he is talking about.

Anyway you could share the schematics?

It's proprietary information and I'm not going down that road just so you can see for yourself, sorry. I'm not sure why you don't believe Paul or myself, or even the post about the F150's having the EXACT same seat heating/cooling design and TED's. Anyway, I'm done with this subject.

cv27

Your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. If he is your resource, you might want to look elsewhere. He's going to get you in trouble.

I've attached a clip of the Ford wiring diagram for the drivers seat. Two TED's, with fans.

Spend a couple bucks and get the service manual and wiring diagrams from MotoCraft.com

to all the naysayers

1) to the sales guys who said the backs don't cool - why'd Ford put a separate TED in the back and perforate the seat. Go back to school on your product.

2) to the mechanics and service advisors who say the bottom gets its cooling from the A/C system - why the TED in the bottom? again, learn your product.

Come on people, it's not that complicated. Ford's got a hiccup in their design and they're trying to fix it with the lowest cost impact. But that approach isn't working too well. F150's, Edge's, Explorers. They've got some issues and it is beginning to haunt them.

post-33647-0-63097000-1464925633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Proefrock
  • Like 1

Guys, so to conclude those TSBs fix the problem or not?

Should I go to my dealer and ask to fix the cooling issue on my brand new titanium 2016?

I just don't want to have them work on my car if the problem won't be fix or will be fix partially.

currently I feel like only the bottom parts of the seats are being cooled

Edited by t0lkman

Guys, so to conclude those TSBs fix the problem or not?

Should I go to my dealer and ask to fix the cooling issue on my brand new titanium 2016?

I just don't want to have them work on my car if the problem won't be fix or will be fix partially.

currently I feel like only the bottom parts of the seats are being cooled

I think people have noted here that the TSB doesn't really address the issue - which is that the warm air isn't expelled from the seat back properly. A new blower motor won't fix that issue. The 3D printed exhaust vent is probably the only near term solution right now. I ordered a set, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll update this post after I install them to let you know how it works. Someone else in either this post or a similar one has said though that this fix returns the seat back operation to approximately 85% of what you get in the seat bottoms.

cv27

Your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. If he is your resource, you might want to look elsewhere. He's going to get you in trouble.

I've attached a clip of the Ford wiring diagram for the drivers seat. Two TED's, with fans.

Spend a couple bucks and get the service manual and wiring diagrams from MotoCraft.com

to all the naysayers

1) to the sales guys who said the backs don't cool - why'd Ford put a separate TED in the back and perforate the seat. Go back to school on your product.

2) to the mechanics and service advisors who say the bottom gets its cooling from the A/C system - why the TED in the bottom? again, learn your product.

Come on people, it's not that complicated. Ford's got a hiccup in their design and they're trying to fix it with the lowest cost impact. But that approach isn't working too well. F150's, Edge's, Explorers. They've got some issues and it is beginning to haunt them.

Paul,

Thank you VERY much for that diagram. I'd like to mention to you and the other offended poster that my request for the schematics was NOT because of a lack of faith.

As you suggest, I believe my technician is either not up to date on technology or possibly trying to brush me off. I'm heading back to the dealer next week, this time armed with your diagram. This should lead to an interesting conversation that starts with "but you told me last time...".

Thank you again.

FYI

Paul

Eeesh. $130 for the exhaust part (not sure if you need the intake/exhaust and have no idea how much it is because it's sold out). I'm a tad confused by their instructions, but short of a YouTube video...

Wow, wonder/hope they have it fixed in the 2017 then. Either that or *if* I can get a 2016 in Nov. with what I want (ha), make the dealer take off $500 for me having to fix Ford's screw up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I was at the dealer checking the 2016 Edge, finally they arrived, unfortunately too expensive $54K! Anyway, I noticed that the seat backs, just above the rear map pockets, are perforated. Thought this might be a new change to allow the seat back to ventilate the heat. Maybe those facing the problem can chime in if this is indeed a new design change to fix the issue.

post-24673-0-18034500-1466848316_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-80810500-1466848348_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today I was at the dealer checking the 2016 Edge, finally they arrived, unfortunately too expensive $54K! Anyway, I noticed that the seat backs, just above the rear map pockets, are perforated. Thought this might be a new change to allow the seat back to ventilate the heat. Maybe those facing the problem can chime in if this is indeed a new design change to fix the issue.

attachicon.gifIMAG2328.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2329.jpg

My seats have this perforation and I can tell everyone conclusively that the perforation doesn't do ANYTHING to assist the problem with the seat backs not cooling properly.

Each time the idea of the seat perforations somehow imparting a 'flow through' ventilation I am surprised anew. In order for the perforation to have THAT level of permeability the seat would have to contain all of the supportive characteristics of a hammock.

Perforated leather does nothing to help with this problem.

Edited by TourGuide

attachicon.gifIMAG2328.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2329.jpg

Nope. I finally test drove a 2016 Edge Titanium AWD/Turbo with 302A package. It was very warm today.

Seat cooled extremely well.

NOTHING on the back. I sweated all over the back of the seat (ha)

Too bad as it will go in my "con" column when I test drive the Hyundai and Kia this weekend.

Unfortunately my current car is pooping the bed big time, hence why I'm re-looking again now.

• Like 1

let us know if hyundai/kia have their cooling seats working properly

Will do. I know the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport cools back and bum.

I didn't test it out in Nov. when I last looked (too cool). but now that I know it's an issue on the Fords, will hopefully be able to test this weekend.

The seat covers on an Edge do not unzip. They are "slipped" over the foam seat. You have to peel them off, kind of rolling them back on themselves. There is some velcro tabs on the front side in the seams and once they've been loosened, it peels back a little easier.

It's not an easy job but it can be done.

I've attached a pdf of the shop manual showing how to do it.

Paul

Edge_Seat Back blower motor.pdf

• Like 1

The seat covers on an Edge do not unzip. They are "slipped" over the foam seat. You have to peel them off, kind of rolling them back on themselves. There is some velcro tabs on the front side in the seams and once they've been loosened, it peels back a little easier.

It's not an easy job but it can be done.

I've attached a pdf of the shop manual showing how to do it.

Paul

Fantastic - that is EXACTLY what I needed! Thank you!