Ventilated/cooled seats in the 2016 fixed?

let us know if hyundai/kia have their cooling seats working properly

OK, I only test drove the Hyundai as the Kia dealership didn't have the SXL v6 yet (only the SX). Now, when I test drove the Ford, I had the AC in face only mode, and after sweating my back, I turned it to foot/face mode. All that did was freeze my butt off. I felt nothing cool at all coming through the back (and it was that was for a good 20 + minutes).

Now, on the Hyundai, it wasn't as hot that day, so I only had face only mode on. The butt didn't cool as much as the Ford, but maybe if I'd put it in foot/face mode it would have. The back did ventilate/cool, albeit not as much as the butt.

I just was told by Hyundai dealer that their cooling seats work in following way: bottom is blowing cold air while the backrest is sucking the air,

and people usually don't feel backrest is cooling.

Maybe that's the way Ford's seats are working?

Edited by t0lkman

Just to chime in a bit, tried a Lexus ES350 with cooled seats & they are definitely worse than Ford's. Maybe Ford's problem with the backseat is that their bottom seat cools so good that drivers would compare the seat bottom to the back & expect the same cooling, naturally.

• Like 1

Now I know for sure Ford has an issue with cooled seats, bottom and back.

I rented a 2016 (might have been a 2017) Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited with 400 Km on it; it had cooled seats. Drove it from Montreal to the west coast zipping up and down through the Rockies (7500 Km). Most days were 25-30°C, mostly sunny, until we got to the west coast.

When I activated the cooled seats, it took between 5 and no more than 10 seconds for the seats, bottom and back, to feel cool, to a point where i felt the need to lower the cooling from level 3 to 1.

On certain days, with the moon roof opened and the A/C off, I felt the same cooling factor from the seats.

I know this is subjective, but I felt the seat back cooling as much as the seat bottom.

I don't mean to promote Hyundai, I'm just stating that there is IMO a working solution for cooled seats. On another note,I found some interesting technologies in the Hyundai I wish Ford would implement, but that's another topic.

I have a few questions for the Ford enthusiasts:

1- How can Ford, apparently year after year, offer an option for cooled seats that doesn't work from their customers' perspective?

2- After Ford heard the negative comments initially, why did they not review the situation and design a working solution for the following years? Hint: look at other manufacturers

3- When Ford offered cooled seats initially, didn't the technical staff evaluate the performance of the proposed solution and compare with the rest of the industry to evaluate its adequacy?

4- Didn't any Ford staff test drive a cooled seat car before signing an agreement with the provider, or better yet enroll some volunteer clients to do so?

5- Did Ford have any measurable requirements for the proposed solution?

Apparently, the answer to all of the above is NO. Any counter arguments?

Ford does certain things really well, but if it wants to lead, it needs to (aim to) do all things well.

Ford had working cooled seats as far back as 2003. They changed the design for the 2015 model year and apparently it didn't work. They went back and tried to fix them Which doesn't seem to work. They probably have to do a complete redesign which will take time. They're not going to ignore something this big.

Still not clear as to the effectiveness of TSB 16-0080 for build dates prior to Feb 12 2016. My build date is Feb 2, and the seat backs do not cool as they should.

If the fix doesn't work and if builds after Feb 12 have the same problem I'd be reluctant to take my vehicle to let the "crew" at my local Ford dealer tear into it.

I'd be more concerned about rattles and damage to the leather from getting a fix that isn't a fix.

So does the fix resolve the issue?

Still not clear as to the effectiveness of TSB 16-0080 for build dates prior to Feb 12 2016. My build date is Feb 2, and the seat backs do not cool as they should.

If the fix doesn't work and if builds after Feb 12 have the same problem I'd be reluctant to take my vehicle to let the "crew" at my local Ford dealer tear into it.

I'd be more concerned about rattles and damage to the leather from getting a fix that isn't a fix.

From my experience: NO

I second that, no. The fix does not work. I have heard that some of the newer '16 models have perforations in the seat backs to exhaust the heat out of them? Not sure if it's true as I have not seen it myself.

All Edge Sports have perforated rear seat backs. Look closely above the map pockets. My 2015 has them.

Taking my car in next week to have the seats "fixed" ...we'll see if it actually resolves anything.

Ford had working cooled seats as far back as 2003. They changed the design for the 2015 model year and apparently it didn't work. They went back and tried to fix them Which doesn't seem to work. They probably have to do a complete redesign which will take time. They're not going to ignore something this big.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed in the 2017 and back-ported (haha) to the 2016/2015. Although if that guy managed to figure out how to fix it with (I think) 3D printed parts, surely Ford could just look what he did and probably engineer it a lot cheaper in bulk?

And here's a neat recap indicating Ford isn't interested in fixing the issue, unfortunately.

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/index409/

Edited by mjonis

Well obviously Ford can't 3d print the parts - they'd have to spec the parts, test them and line up suppliers to manufacture them and that takes time unfortunately.

At first I thought it was just an installation problem with parts coming loose on the assembly line but that no longer seems to be the case. I think Ford will fix it but it may take several more months. We get a little cool air from the seatback. Fortunately the A/C works so well it's not a major issue right now (for us).

My Edge was built 17 May 2016 and I can confirm the back seats do not cool.

So I have a MY16 edge sport and the backs of the front seats don't cool but my bottom of the seats got ice cold on just setting 2 now today my passenger and I noticed it doesn't seem to cool at all even on 3 now(1 used to be very cold by it self). Is this due to the same issue as the seat back? The ac of the car was ice cold though and it was only 84f outside.

Tell me about it. What I find surprising is that there's not a lot of complaints (apparently) about this. Although I'm looking at the Titanium, perhaps the lower trim levels (that are the "lease deals" and whatnot) just don't have the heated/cooled seats and therefore, not many people notice it? I mean I don't see how you could *not* notice it, if you turned it on.

I wonder if all the people with the problem start complaining to the NHTSA or the BBB. Maybe that would light a fire under Ford. I mean seriously, the guys over at the F150 forum are working with Ford and it seems that basically Ford doesn't give a crap.

:(

ooh, even worse (read the quotes that the guy took off the recorded conversation):

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/index416/#post4857467

Sounds like GM and my POS Chevy. Basically Ford doesn't care and apparently thinks it doesn't affect the value of the vehicle when something that's advertised doesn't work without a $400-500 third party fix.

JUST like my '05 Equinox (over-powered amp makes loud hissing noise and the only fix was to replace with aftermarket unit at my expense).