Gas sloshing around sound

When I am driving slow and then stopping, like pulling into a parking space I can hear the gas sloshing around in the gas tank. I have never heard anything like this in a car before. There were so many claims about how quiet this car is but I can hear gas in the tank, seems odd to me. Obviously it's worse if I don't have a full tank. Anyone else hear this?

You sure it's gas and not water? I only ask because my old POS 2005 Chevy Equinox did that shortly after I bought it. Thought I smelled something too. A quick google revealed the 2005 were problematic (many) and one of them was that water would accumulate in the spare tire well, and sure enough, opened it up and there was about 2 gallons of water in there (rain, etc.)

Only took 4 trips to the dealer to finally fix.

• Like 1

Its most likely the fuel tank that you hear sloshing, but... do you have the bamr? Wondering if one of the drains got plugged and letting water accumulate in the channel.

It's also been reported that the firewall drains have plugged and water had accumulated. (This was on a different model, don't really know it the Edge has these, but something to think about).

• Like 1

i heard this a lot on my '09 edge and I've heard it on other cars as well.

Hi Ben. I've got an 09 MKX and have never head gas sloshing on mine. (Mostly drive with the windows up and that might make a difference).

The gas tank was just replaced under recall couple of weeks ago and checked it after my inspection today. The tank is 1/4 full and no sloshing that I can hear. (It's an AWD tank). Is there a difference the Edge and MKX? (Wouldn't think so).

• Like 1

Hi Ben. I've got an 09 MKX and have never head gas sloshing on mine. (Mostly drive with the windows up and that might make a difference).

The gas tank was just replaced under recall couple of weeks ago and checked it after my inspection today. The tank is 1/4 full and no sloshing that I can hear. (It's an AWD tank). Is there a difference the Edge and MKX? (Wouldn't think so).

I don't know if there's a difference but maybe the MKX has more sound deadening? It wasn't extreme by any means. It was actually quite seldom but still noticeable. One thing that really bugged me was the high pitch whine from the fuel pump.

I don't see why this is "laughable," it's a very large container that's filled with liquid that's being sloshed around. Maybe higher end cars have some sort of baffle system in the tank. Having said that, I haven't noticed it in my '16 yet.