Adaptive steering fault

You guys might be on to something there. I too have had the steering wheel in sport mode ever since I bought it. Normal mode just felt way too light and floaty for me. If that is the case, maybe some of you guys with this issue can try setting it to sport mode and see what happens just for the sake of it. These Edge Sports are really darn good vehicles and they will be really darn good vehicles again once your Edges get fixed. I just wish that we weren't volunteered to test out such new technology that exists nowhere else even remotely within this price range.

I believe my current setting is SPORT, but under the NORMAL heading.

There is also a heading SPORT that has normal and sport options under it. I am going by memory.

FYI I could not tell the difference between normal/normal and normal sport.

There should have been a distinct change in feel. Maybe your situation is a result of the malfunction? Under normal and sport, I have it selected to sport mode so that the steering wheel stays in sport mode whether my gear selector is in normal or sport mode.

You know, I have to admit that I really hated this active ratio steering system. However, I am starting to grow fond of it. I drove my former Toyota today after I gave it to my mom when I got the Sport. It was really evident as I was driving up 8 floors to find a parking spot in the parking tower just how amazingly easy the active ratio system makes driving in tight parking garages. I had forgotten just how fatigued my arms can get driving 8 tight floors up in that tower. Ford is on to something that I think people will like once they get used to it. Depending on how things go with those of us 2016 Sport and Titanium owners go with the "beta test," I fully expect to see this make its way across the entire Ford lineup as an option for the higher trim levels such as Titanium, Platinum, etc.....

There should have been a distinct change in feel. Maybe your situation is a result of the malfunction? Under normal and sport, I have it selected to sport mode so that the steering wheel stays in sport mode whether my gear selector is in normal or sport mode.

You know, I have to admit that I really hated this active ratio steering system. However, I am starting to grow fond of it. I drove my former Toyota today after I gave it to my mom when I got the Sport. It was really evident as I was driving up 8 floors to find a parking spot in the parking tower just how amazingly easy the active ratio system makes driving in tight parking garages. I had forgotten just how fatigued my arms can get driving 8 tight floors up in that tower. Ford is on to something that I think people will like once they get used to it. Depending on how things go with those of us 2016 Sport and Titanium owners go with the "beta test," I fully expect to see this make its way across the entire Ford lineup as an option for the higher trim levels such as Titanium, Platinum, etc.....

Yes, I wondered if there was no change due to the overall malfunction or if my driving conditions made it hard to notice. I am going to leave it as is mainly to see if the error message never pops up again. Then at least I will know that changing the setting did at least have that effect. Whether it "fixed" the issue by changing the setting, well, that is a whole nother story :)

Probably not because it sounds like a hardware error in 2 of those 3 potential fixes. It could be that there was initially a software error as well as a result of a calibration error. I suspect that everything has to be calibrated perfectly precise the way this high tech system works. It is am amazing age when we plebians can get technology like this which is scary as well. You guys remember when heated seats were a very high end luxury car feature? Everything starts somewhere.

• Like 2

Well, we got our Edge back. We were told that the "part" needed to be replaced is on back order.... with NO ship date. None. Nada... zilch.

So, Norm Reeves Ford, did what I think a few others have mentioned having done, pulled the steering wheel off a new unit in stock and replaced the malfunctioning steering wheel and adaptive assembly with the new one into our Edge.

So... so far, so good. My wife is so happy to have her Edge back. We both love it. And when the adaptive steering works, it's great. She couldn't get over how much tighter a turning radius the Edge has over the 2017 Fusion Hybrid loaner we had.

As least that's her impression. Anyway, right now it appears fixed. Keeping our fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Well, we got our Edge back. We were told that the "part" needed to be replaced is on back order.... with NO ship date. None. Nada... zilch.

So, Norm Reeves Ford, did what I think a few others have mentioned having done, pulled the steering wheel off a new unit in stock and replaced the malfunctioning steering wheel and adaptive assembly with the new one into our Edge.

So... so far, so good. My wife is so happy to have her Edge back. We both love it. And when the adaptive steering works, it's great. She couldn't get over how much tighter a turning radius the Edge has over the 2017 Fusion Hybrid loaner we had.

As least that's her impression. Anyway, right now it appears fixed. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Glad you got it back and it is working. For me, another day with no warning lights, and I still cannot help but think that is due to the setting I changed. I still want 100% resolution. I will need to call the dealer as they have not seen fit to call me. I mean how many Edge''s could they have sold with this issue? They can't make a computer notation to call me and say the part is not in and they are still trying to get it, or what have you? Sheesh.

Sadly, your experience with dealerships is not an isolated event hence why many affectionally call these guys "Stealerships." It isn't very often that I find gems like my dealer who try so hard to go above and beyond. I could argue it is because our family has bought enough Fords from them to put one of the Ford family children through college, but it is their culture that I see in the way they interact with everyone. I also had great experiences with the Ford dealer in Anchorage even though they are pretty much the only game in town within that region.

That said, the dealer may be under the understanding that you are expecting them to call you when there is a change in status. Many of these guys are really busy and they figure that there is no change in status and thus nothing to report. Give them a call and let them know what you expect communication wise so that everyone is on the same page. For those people who are getting steering wheels off of an Edge that is on the dealer lot, I am hoping that you have a permanent fix as that might make me nervous. If it is a simple calibration error, it should not be an issue but 2 of the 3 fixes involve hardware.

Amen! This is such a weird over the top situation. I wish there had been a Lincoln dealer near enough to me to try those cars out. I may even see if I could trade the Edge for the MKX at the dealer 80 miles away. Sure, I would take a hit, but life is so damn short.

I also do realize that the MKX can have this same issue. But at least a loaner. But an 80 mile drive to get it :(

I drove 3 hours one way to get my MKX....saved thousands!....Well wort it....I looked at the Edge, It was what I was going for. MKX for the same price? No contest there.

Edited by Spree

Fwiw. We have a 2016 Edge with the drivers package. We have approx. 3000 miles on it and for about the first 1000 I had the adaptive steering set to sport. I then switched it to normal and have kept it there since. I have received no warnings to date. Needless to say we are concerned about this issue and appreciate all the info being offered. It sure would be nice to have Ford issue a statement as to the exact nature of the problem. Good luck to those experiencing problems.

• Like 2

For the record, I switched back to normal/normal for the adaptive steering setting. I will be interested (for lack of a better word) to see if this brings back the error warning.

Also, I called the dealer today and asked them and they said that yes, a part had come in. How nice of them to let me know! Ouch.

Due to all the new info here on this thread, I really want to make sure that my car gets the correct and final fix the first time around. I feel like I know more about it than them at this point. Also, I feel the need to get solid info about what EXACTLY they are going to do to my car. Usually, I drop off car and pick it up, neither caring nor thinking about what exactly they did. However, I have never had a situation like this that is so damn disconcerting, again, for lack of a better word (that I can say in public :) )

• Like 1

It all comes down to the dealership. If this is an isolated problem as I suspect, then chances are that most dealers really will not expect this until someone comes in with the problem. This active ratio steering thing is all new to the Ford lineup which means that no dealer will have had any experience prior to the 2016+ Edge when it comes to working with this new technology. I know that some of the techs at the dealer I go to will actually hit up the internet forums when someone comes in with an unusual problem. My dad has a 2010 Fusion that had a HVAC system doing really funky things. It was the first time my dealer had heard of it. When he came to talk to me, he had printed out pages from this forum's fordfusionforum sister site to ask about some of the things. Based on that and working with the hotline, they were able to diagnose a sensor that had started going out. It was not long after that an official TSB came out on the issue. Lots of times, it comes down to the culture at the dealer and whether it promotes techs that go above and beyond.

• Like 3

Well, first, we special ordered our 2016 Edge Titanium from a Costco dealer back in December. So, it was one of the first off the line.

With that said, I posted last week that the dealer couldn't get any delivery date on the steering part or parts needed to fix the Adaptive Steering Fault issue. So, they took a brand new Edge Sport off the line and pulled the steering wheel, et al off and put it in our Edge.

We just got back from a trip to Las Vegas (LA to Vegas) and have put about 700 miles on the Edge since getting it back.

NO PROBLEMS!!!!

Apparently, the newer vehicles coming off the line don't have the problem. Anyway, there is hope. Now our Edge is back to the terrific car we purchased. It was a joy to drive to Las Vegas and back.

So, good news to anyone still having the problem. It appears (gotta be optimistic) the problem can be fixed.

Edited by JnGalt52
  • Like 2

I have always had the car adaptive mode in sport under the menus since the first week I got it with 28 miles on it. I recently took a trip to Kansas from CA and then back through CO, WY, UT, and CA. I was visiting my relatives in CO and at night went to move the car off the street for the night and got the error then parked it on the driveway having to obviously turn the wheel way more then normal, preceded to turn off the car and start it again multiple times never making it turn off the light and no codes in engineering mode either. Went to bed, next morning it was okay (steering felt firm and ratio changed again) and no error and I drove the 500+ miles back to CA. Next day back I got it again starting the car to get gas and went and got gas then stopped off at the dealer to find that I was still on Mountain time (oops) and they were closed so I tried turning off the car and was like why not and while it was off tried to make the car lock the wheel and it felt like it got stiffer but never locked in place (Does it even lock?) and after the stiffer feel I started the car and I have not had the error since so it seems more software for me as the wheel never had any grinding or codes that it stored. Here are picks I took of it when I remembered to along with my manufacture date.

Malcolm

post-40602-0-33804900-1479623431_thumb.jpg

That's because it's a man date. If it was a woman date it would be correct.

But, it would end up nagging you to death about updating your sync, checking your oil and air in the tires, clean the windshield, run a vehicle health report, put on your seatbealt, turn down the radio, stop cussing out the other drivers, slow down, speed up .....
  • Like 1