Adaptive steering fault

Whew, this is quite the thread :) OK, I am going to taunt the gods by saying that somehow, my issue is solved. Over a week having changed the setting back to normal/normal and no error messages! So that is two weeks total with no error messages. If this does not tempt the gods, nothing will :)

I truly hope it is as I have some driving coming up. I really want to avoid the whole steering wheeling pulling off and replacing if at all possible. However, I also want the issue fully and completely solved. But I, again, want it done correctly the first time.

I will report back with any updates. Thanks for all of your help. It makes being upset with my new car much easier to "handle" :)

• Like 1

I had the same issue guys. Long story short I dropped off my Edge on 7/22/16 and didn't receive back until 8/26/16 due to unavailable part(s).

I am actually in the process to see if Ford will buyback my vehicle due to 30 days in shop. My vehicles steering was affected and my wheel was off centered. My issue also began at 300 miles on the odometer or 1 week after purchase.

Hi Adgz

I am in the UK, with seeming the same problem that you have had with your EDGE.

Adaptive steering Malfunction warning keeps popping up, and steering wheel moved/misaligned by approx 90 degrees.

Have you got your fixed??

Have you got details of the Ford Garage that dealt/fixed yours?

• Like 1

Hi Adgz

I am in the UK, with seeming the same problem that you have had with your EDGE.

Adaptive steering Malfunction warning keeps popping up, and steering wheel moved/misaligned by approx 90 degrees.

Have you got your fixed??

Have you got details of the Ford Garage that dealt/fixed yours?

Welcome aboard. Somehow, together, we will solve this 100%.

7-19-16 build date edge sport here and experiencing the random fault message. Bought the edge sport labor day weekend. Faults started about 2 months ago. I plan on dropping it off soon and keeping an eye on this thread. Great info here.

4K miles on it so far.

Edited by 01Cobra

Of the 3 TSB's, only one of them requires a new steering wheel. The others are a recalibration and something involving the clockwheel spring. I just noticed that the 2017 Super Duties now also come with an optional active steering system like the one we have. The way Ford rolled that new technology out in such a specific manner by offering it only on the Edge Sport, I knew that we were beta testing this new state of the art technology for something much bigger!

• Like 1

Well, I tempted the steering gods and they responded. After 3 weeks with no error messages, they are back! As before, on, off, all over the darn place. Steering itself is still OK,.

My dealer has called me and at least expressed an interest in getting it fixed, YAY! The part has been in for awhile. I am guessing that I have the Clock Spring situation, as that is the part they ordered. I want to be more hands on with this repair than usual and want to see that part they are replacing. I would actually in this case actually like to watch, but I am sure that is impossible. I know I hate it when people watch me fix their computer. But in that case, there is no way out, at least if I am onsite :)

Still, I want to know what they are doing to my new car that I am paying top dollar for.

Dave

• Like 1

Part showed up last week after three months.

It is in and car is working great right now. From the repair order with codes and tests appears there was a SASM MODULE fault.. Replace sasm/clockspring. Also mentions r&r steering column shrouds and steering wheel.

Having been looking for replacement for three months test driving BMW.s mercedes' and Jaguar now realize that this is very good vehicle for the money.

Now I am wrestling with whether I should put on winter rims and snows of a smaller diameter but same overall size and tempt the steering "gods". ;)

• Like 2

I also had the adaptive steering fault. It came and went intermittently with no real pattern. When I was in last week for an oil change I asked them to scan for codes. My printout didn't mention any codes thrown, but they did do a software update. Hopefully that is the last of this nonsense.

Best of luck. Let's hope that is the last of this nonsense! Could you give us a little more detail on the "software update" by any chance? Thanks. I am going to be bringing my car in soon and I really want to go in knowing as much as I can about this issue and it various fixes.

Edited by CapeDave

Ford applied SSM 46171 to my Edge today to "fix" the warning for me. Anyone know what this means other than it being a software update? Just wondering if this is a fix or a bandaid.

I hope it works and is a permanent fix for you. Thanks for the number as this gives me more knowledge and ammo when I take mine in to get "fixed". I would really like to see at least a free payment from Ford as this is a real and true pain in the ass.

Supposedly, mine is the "clock spring" fix, but I am thinking that maybe they did not know about this fix at the time they diagnosed the issue.

Thanks again, welcome aboard, and keep us posted :)

Best of luck. Let's hope that is the last of this nonsense! Could you give us a little more detail on the "software update" by any chance? Thanks. I am going to be bringing my car in soon and I really want to go in knowing as much as I can about this issue and it various fixes.

Sorry Dave - my wife threw the service paperwork out so I don't have a record of what software update was performed. The SSM 46171 update that was mentioned above sounds familiar though and is probably the update they applied on my 16. In any case - I've had no new errors since - so I guess I've got that going for me...

Well Here goes!

Picked my Edge up today after 4 weeks at the Garage!

The Edge Sport had all software updates but didn't work!

Had a new Steering Wheel (Updated version) delivered to the garage the end of last week, complete with Clockspring which is fitted underneath the steering wheel.

Recalibrated the module and steering angle sensor.

Joy to drive home!

Hopefully this is the answer. Good Luck to you all!

• Like 1

Any electronic gremlins with your XSport? Then definitely look into the battery's condition. Many of these codes are communications related and do not affect actual function. I would reset them, see if they come back. If they come back, perform a KAM reset and see if they come back. If they come back, verify the battery operating condition & replace if needed.

I received a notice at the end of November that my part (new steering wheel) had arrived. It was installed several days later, but I noticed that Adaptive Steering was not operational (even though the dealership confirmed that the car has been road tested and everything was functioning correctly). I attempted to turn it on via the menu, but the option was not available. So, back to the dealership it went. They kept it for several days attempting to follow Ford's reprogramming instructions to no avail. Ford advised that another new steering wheel would need to be ordered, hoping to fix the programming problem. We shall see.

You would think that the system would default to something similar to a "non-active" system when a fault occurs.

Making the car un-drivable when a fault occurs is completely unacceptable as every electronic component WILL (eventually) fail.

I also received the adaptive steering fault error on my '16 MKX with less than 4k miles. I cleared the error, and in the last week, it hasn't returned, although I do believe the steering reverted to a a non adaptive state. Slow speed turns would get a noticeable assist with less wheel input required when the system was working... now, there seems to be no slow speed turning assist. Dropped the X off at the dealer this morning.... time will tell....

Whew, this is quite the thread :) OK, I am going to taunt the gods by saying that somehow, my issue is solved. Over a week having changed the setting back to normal/normal and no error messages! So that is two weeks total with no error messages. If this does not tempt the gods, nothing will :)

I truly hope it is as I have some driving coming up. I really want to avoid the whole steering wheeling pulling off and replacing if at all possible. However, I also want the issue fully and completely solved. But I, again, want it done correctly the first time.

I will report back with any updates. Thanks for all of your help. It makes being upset with my new car much easier to "handle" :)

As you, I had the error message on my screen (cleared it by hitting "ok" ), then never saw it again. However, just because the error never popped back up, did not mean that my adaptive steering had returned, just that I cleared the warning msg. While the steering is fine under normal situations, such as on the highway, the adaptive functionality is clearly not working. I think there are two different systems being referenced here interchangeably.... one is the sport setting, which changes the "feel" weightl, the other being the adaptive assist function, which minimizes how much steering input is required to turn the wheels at slow speeds. I do not believe these two things are related, but I could be wrong.

I've only had this Lincoln loaner a few hours, and it's already going back. Thanks to the information I culled from these forums, I emailed the above mentioned TSB (along with the descriptive text) to the Lincoln service manager a couple hours after dropping the car off this morning, thinking it might be helpful. He in turn, printed it out, and left it for the technician. As it turns out, it came in handy, as the code that the vehicle threw (he did not say which one), did not automatically link to the TSB, but the TSB did have the right info for the code. Long story short, they are cleaning my car up for me (it was filthy after the recent snow), and giving it back to me, while they order me a new SECM, which basically is the entire steering wheel assembly. So far, I am pleased with this level of service! The service manager was very appreciative of my research....

• Like 1