Air filter question

Ericalan350

Folks I am looking to replace my OEM air filter and have always gone with a K&N drop in. I have looked at the "Green" filters as well "dry" filters that are out there. Does anyone have any experience with either being good or bad? I had a Volant CAI on a GMC that I had and LOVED it. They do not make anything for the Edge as of yet. It's a 2013 Sport FWD that all I am really interested in is more air flow, reliability, and possibly a little more "growl" when I stomp on it (I am aware of the air box delete). Any help is appreciated. :sos:

The stock box/filter flow pretty well. The dropin filters generally are good for adding some sound. Performance improvement will happen at high/redline rpm's, so if the engine lives in that range, sure. Still fairly minor. I would add the filter mainly for sound, and for eliminating the need to replace.

• Like 1

The DryFlows are good, and easy to clean. I have heard tell that the Green Filters will outflow the K&N, but probably at the cost of filtration efficiency. I have never had issues with a K&N, no experience with Green Filter. I think dingo ran the green and was impressed with it, but that's about the only anecdote I have.

Over 80K miles on my AEM never cleaned but I am waiting for the day the Filter Minder sends up the RED flag and says clean the filter. I will then do a few runs to show before and after results.

Question is how many filters would I have bought had I changed the filter because it looked dirty?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/16/2017 at 12:26 PM, Ericalan350 said:

Folks I am looking to replace my OEM air filter and have always gone with a K&N drop in. I have looked at the "Green" filters as well "dry" filters that are out there. Does anyone have any experience with either being good or bad? I had a Volant CAI on a GMC that I had and LOVED it. They do not make anything for the Edge as of yet. It's a 2013 Sport FWD that all I am really interested in is more air flow, reliability, and possibly a little more "growl" when I stomp on it (I am aware of the air box delete). Any help is appreciated. :sos:

i have k&n intake in my edge. Huuuge difference. Could really hear that thing sucking up the air at WOT. 

18 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes, the K&N filters make a huge difference.........in sound.

16 hours ago, AkMan13 said:

Paired with the tune i have , e85, lowering springs, bigger tb, ported intake manifold, colder thermostat, and a few other goodies :)

Seems an awful lot just for the sound.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:20 PM, Ntrain2k said:

I run the AEM dry flow. Happy with it.

I run the $17 Ford Motorcraft and real happy with it.

Its highly unlikely that the engine can ingest/swallow the volume of air that the stock air filter's flow restriction inhibits performance. 

55 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Its highly unlikely that the engine can ingest/swallow the volume of air that the stock air filter's flow restriction inhibits performance. 

The biggest restriction is always the butterfly in the throttle body until you hit WOT.

5 hours ago, 1004ron said:

I beg to differ ? 

but maybe i dont apply lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, akirby said:

You're definitely a special case.  

Now go to your room and finish your homework!

FINE, BUT NOT BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME TOO! *Stomps on each stair on the way up, and slams bedrooms door*

11 hours ago, AkMan13 said:

Don’t apply to what ? 

Snmjim's and my edge usually doesnt apply to most of the general information around here.....damn near 600 crank horsepower will do that to ya ?

• Haha 3

On 7/13/2020 at 7:46 AM, 1004ron said:

That's nice.

Welcome to my post from over 3 years ago......

Still using the same filter in my 2016 explorer.

Still really happy with it.

K, thx, bye.

• Like 1