Bucknewby

PTU drill and tap

I completed a drill and tap on my PTU in July and yesterday finished my 10k mile service on it. I made a video that discusses some of the things I learned through the process and hopefully it can help someone else on the journey. Fun little project that will extend the life of that critical component.

• Like 4

Excellent how-to-do-it video. Liked the fact that your were able to get good camera angles and show everything. ?

Hello, I am a 1st time Ford Edge owner & I bought a 2014 SEL AWD. Very happy so far, but like all DYI guys, I want to drain & refill my rear diff, AND my PTU, myself. Do you know how difficult these tasks are & which plugs are the refill & drains?

I have changed the motor oil & filter, & did a drain & refill on the tranny so far. Just turned 31k on the odometer.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!!

Bruce from western PA

This place is awesome. I just picked up a 2012 limited and came in to find out what’s going on with these things. I found this thread and the video and decided it all made sense to me. A quick stop at amazon and 2 days later I’m drilling into my beauty in the garage. Thanks to all the good info it all went nice and smooth. Thanks for the tips guys! A couple hours work (I took my sweet time) and $40 including fluid is worth the piece of mind. I flushed it but I’m going to drive for a couple weeks and then dump and fill again. Figure every 5K until fluid looks good. Then just do it every 60K. Rear diff and transmission are next.

• Like 1

So something odd happened in the after math of the drain plug install. My PTU started leaking! But not from the new drain plug. Its leaking out of the vent tube. I think I over filled the system a little and I used a lighter gear oil to help dilute the residual original fluid. Im going to dump it next week and then refill with the correct weight and see what happens.

Anyway to clean out the vent with the unit on the car or do I have to remove it to get to it?

I have since drained and refilled the PTU with proper fluid type and amount but still getting the leak from the vent tube. Is there a way to clean the vent tube without removing the PTU from the vehicle?

how does the fluid look. if it is still murky/thick, then the cleaning process probably needs a few more rounds of drain/fill. as far as the vent cap you could likely pop it off with a screwdriver, but i am not sure if it would go back on.

I don’t want to remove it if I might not be able to get it back on. I guess I either deal with it for a few more miles or remove the PTU and clean it out. How much trouble is it ripping that thing out? I don’t have a service manual.

For an experienced tech, about 4 hours of work. It's more of a pain dealing with the seals than anything else, because there are specific procedures to follow otherwise you will really muck it up. So if you are mechanically inclined and detail oriented, you could do it, and of course put new seals on, NO reuse. Can definitely get the PTU completely cleaned out this way, plus inspect gearing and bearings for wear.

An option you might consider instead is to take the vent cap off completely and install a tube extension like they have for other model lines; thinking of the Taurus specifically. Basically a tube extending into the engine bay with the vent cap on top, much easier to service IF needed, but gives the lube more room to breathe. you will have to source the hose yourself as the Taurus hose diameter is different IIRC. You clamp the hose onto the vent, maybe a spring lock like you get from OEM or a regular hose clamp you get at the store.

Thanks to Bucknewby plus several other videos & forum threads,

while doing latest 3yr\33kMile Oil changes for the front PTU & rear Differential on my wifes 2008 Ford EdgeSELAWD,

installed modifications noted+pictured below to ease servicing the PTU.

~ Drilled+Tapped PTU AluminumCase bottom; installed new 0i375\0m010ThreadDiameter DrainValve Fumoto#f124n.

~ Removed PTU top Vent JiggleCap+Rubber1Way (used 5/8"Socket+ScrewPick); reveals 3/8"HoseBarb; installed 3/8"ID Fuel\Oil Hose upto new OilCatchCan on FireWall.

~ Replaced PTU side FillPlug with 1/2"PipeThread~3/8"HoseBarbElbow; installed 3/8"ID Fuel\Oil Hose upto new OilCatchCan on FireWall.

~ Installed new OilCatchCan\Tank + VentFilter + 3/8"PipeThread~3/8"HoseBarbElbows2ea on FireWall upper lip, between FuseBox+Battery.

The Filter+Strainer fittings inside the OilCatchCan are not required, thus were removed & not used.

Now easy to drain Oil from PTU & refill at OilCatchCan top Plug: 1/2qt=16oz AmsOil#75w140.FullSyn + 2oz ATP#at205\ReSeal.

Also wrapped ExhaustPipe under+near PTU with FiberGlassInsulation to help reduce it's operating temp.

Considering trouble others have had & how black oil was, may do PTU Oil change with Engine Oil change every 6mths\5kMiles.

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModA.Valv_0i375oDia~24MNPThrd~0i375Barb_Fumoto.f124n.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModB.Vent_0i375iDia~0i625oDia.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModC.Fill_0i500oDia~14MNPThrd~0i375Barb.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModD.Tank_0i375iDia~24MNPThrd~0i375Barb.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000
Add search links.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1