Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

CF UPDATE:

Got tracking info on the CF, It should be arriving on Friday 7 -2. :yahoo: Finally !!!  I will then take it to the plastic shop on Tuesday 7 -6 when they reopen from the long Independence Day weekend. As it is a short work week I can only hope they can mold some of them that week. If not by then by the next week for sure.  ABS intakes will be part of that run and both Carbon Fiber and ABS V2 intakes will be available and in stock at that time.  All my attention will be on finishing and shipping the backordered CF V2 intakes ASAP. I will continue to post my progress with this batch of V2s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Almost finished with the V2 mold refresh. It is 100 + degrees today as it has been for over a week now, and I can only handle a couple hours of work a day. 

I had to take the mold apart to refresh it 

IMG_7669.JPG

After patching, I started sanding with 120 followed by 220, then 320 dry grit.  I then switched to wet sand paper 400, 600 ,1000 and finished with 1200 grit.

For those that were counting, the entire mold was sanded 7 times after patching to get to this point of the refresh. It is now ready for polishing compound. 

The fiberglass mold patched and wet sanded. It needs to be ready when the CF arrives to stay on track. .

IMG_7670.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Loaded up my Edge Sport and took the CF and the mold to the plastic shop today. They said they would mold the intakes sometime during the week of the 5th.  Once They are molded I am going to have my hands full for a while getting all the backorders orders shipped.  I am having them mold up two extra V2 intakes of each; ABS and Carbon Fiber, that are available for whomever wants one. 

They fit like a glove . I love my do everything Edge . 

IMG_7673.JPG

:ford:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked up the intakes from the plastic shop today. The CF intakes are the ones wrapped in plastic for protection, and the ABS  ones are on top. I will start cutting them out tomorrow. There are a couple extra of each that I had molded for anyone wants one. 

IMG_7727.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

There has been a heat wave this week, thankfully it cooled off a bit today, it is around 105 >106F in the shade where I work. It has just been too darn hot to work this week. I hope that this heat wave will break soon, I can handle 90 to 95 but 100 and over it gets hard to deal with. I thought I would have at least two intakes ready by now, but family demands and a heat wave have put me back a few days. I feel I owe an explanation. and I apologize for the delay,

IMG_7741.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 1

Finally saw a drop in temps to the low 90s, and managed to drill holes in all the intakes . 

IMG_7751.JPG

I first drill pilot holes. The pilot bit is the same size as the hole markers. This helps with accuracy, and as everyone must know by now the holes are not spot on, but close enough to work. 

IMG_7755.JPG

Each V2 intake has 12 mounting holes that need to be finished.  The backside is smooth to allow the best air flow, and the topside is textured on the ABS intakes. You can see the hole markers that need drilling in this photo. I just use my cordless drill for this job. 

At this point I have to be careful and a bath towel helps protect the finish, this is super important when working with the Carbon Fiber Material. 

IMG_7759.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

After drilling  all the pilot holes I go back and re-drill them to size with a larger bit.  I then use this blue tool to clean up both sides of the holes after drilling. A single hole takes 4 operations to complete. 

This is the backside of the CF intake, it is smooth like the ABS to allow better air flow. 

IMG_7772.jpg

Here Is a CF V2 awaiting to have its holes cleaned up. 

IMG_7777.JPG

Now that all the intakes have their mounting holes, the next step is sanding the edges to clean up the saw cuts. That is a operation that uses hand tools, air tools, and a belt sander to accomplish.   I have to be diligent otherwise time just keeps slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future...lol :) ...  And I need to get this done so I can continue work on the V3 once the parts are molded later this week. 

Now that all the holes have 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two done, I have given up on the heat going away anytime soon, it was another 108* day.  I needed another approach to getting these V2 intakes delivered.  For the last few days I have started work after dinner around 6:30pm. This is when it starts to cool off some, and there is still plenty of light. I stop work around 8:30pm when it starts getting dark and out of courtesy to my neighbors. 

ONE DONE .JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a very nice review that I would like to share.

From Christy, posted on the MACT FORD EDGE fb page:

" Here is my experience so far after installing the fresh air intake on my 2015 Edge SEL. Everything except installation is purely observational, as I do not have anything to perform actual measurements. My husband said the installation was extremely easy. He had it done in less than 10 minutes. I like the way it looks. The appearance is sleeker and cleaner, in my opinion, than the original part. It fit perfectly, as well. As far as performance gains, I would say mostly negligible. However, it is the only modification on my 2.0 and there's been no tuning at all. There have been times that my fuel economy has gone up to almost 27 mpg, that had not occurred before installation. I cannot say if it was a direct result, though. I feel like this could be a valuable piece of the overall puzzle if someone were performing upgrades to improve the airflow. I'm impressed by the ingenuity and hard work that went into the fabrication. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the intakes have been shipped  :).

****If you have ordered a V2 intake and did not receive a PM from me today with your shipping info,  please contact me ASAP.

Now that all the V2 orders have been filled I can turn my attrition to the V3 .

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1