Fresh Air Intake Mod

GT500R

Because of the mix up with the carbon material, I went ahead and ordered up one extra sheet of the carbon fiber material to arrive with the exchange. So that means that there is one carbon intake that is not spoken for and is available in this run.

The black ABS intake is also still available in this run, for anyone interested. Time is short on the black intakes as molding is expected to take place by Friday or next week at the latest. 

• Like 1

Great news.. If you have been following this thread then you know that I took a chance and invested to lower the price,  and it worked out for everyone.  All of the materilal has been allocated . Thanks to everyone for your  support:hat_tip:.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Xtra said:

Great news.. If you have been following this thread then you know that I took a chance and invested to lower the price,  and it worked out for everyone.  All of the materilal has been allocated . Thanks to everyone for your  support:hat_tip:.

Thank you for making this happen. None of that was easy or quick by any means. It's much appreciated.

So when are you making an ABS airbox/intake kit to go with this? Mine as well keep moving down the air path, lmfao!!!

• Like 2

I would have to check with snmjim and Special-K on that as they are the designers of a custom air box, and that is their turf. I would not copy any little part of their design or idea unless I had their blessing. Yup you are correct Duece, My intake helps to feed the snorkel.a custom air box would complete a very nice system and the two parts would work together. Also changing the air box may not be street or smog legal. Speaking of that I would swap out my intake when going in for a smog check with the stock sight shield, just in case. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

I would have to check with snmjim and Special-K on that as they are the designers of a custom air box, and that is their turf. I would not copy any little part of their design or idea unless I had their blessing. Yup you are correct Duece, My intake helps to feed the snorkel.a custom air box would complete a very nice system and the two parts would work together. Also changing the air box may not be street or smog legal. Speaking of that I would swap out my intake when going in for a smog check with the stock sight shield, just in case. 

Oh yeah, forgot about their project. Thought it was just a one off, i need to revisit that thread.

Luckily, I dont have to deal with smog, lol.

1 hour ago, Duece McCracken said:

Oh yeah, forgot about their project. Thought it was just a one off, 

I have acquired the skills to make a part like that,  but it is snmjim's intellectual property, and as I said, I won't touch it unless snmjin gives the ok.

It would cost me a lot of time, money, and work to develop it into a legit item with the quality that people expect.

• Like 2

You can’t claim dibs on every form of custom airbox, so with all due respect to those two, they’d honestly either have to understand or just be mad. You’re not doin it on purpose. Plus they still haven’t released it for sale. 

Just make your own design, and don’t purposefully copy their stuff. I don’t see the problem. A bird in the hand, and all that. The joys of capitalism is if his product is better whenever it may be released, the market will gravitate there. Plus if you made it right you could market it to the fusion sport guys. Win win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Duece and Cracked thank you for your encouragement. Just got off the phone with snmjim and got his blessing  to move forward with the project. ?

I have  done a little research and have to do a lot more before I can create a proper design. Right now I have to deal with getting all these orders filled and shipped and staying healthy 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Update

The black ABS intakes are scheduled to be molded today?. Hopefully I can pick  them up on Thursday or Friday, and start working  on them.

The custom  carbon  material was scheduled to be manufactured this week.  I have not been notified  of it being shipped yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, handfiler said:

Looking good. How's the mold holding out?

Thanks for asking.  When I picked up the parts I had a chance to talk to the tech who works with the mold and runs the machine. He said the mold is working  well and there are no problems or maintenance  needed. 
So far, so good ?

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, ImLivingOnTheEdge said:

Hey, I just found this thread!  Is there any product left available?  I'm okay with carbon fiber or not carbon fiber.  Whatever you got, if anything.

You bet, check your PM. Just a reminder the intake only fits  2015 to 2018 Edges. It does not fit the ST or 2019 and later. 

Edited by Xtra

Because of all the questions that I have been receiving, and the fact that this is a long thread,  I feel I need to review some things. 

1. The intake only fits 2015 to 2018 Edges. It does not fit the ST or 2019 and later Edges. 

2. The carbon material is not solid carbon fiber. Solid carbon fiber is not thermoformable.  Therefore, I found a composite material that would work with the mold.

According to the manufacturer, It has a  thermoplastic base layer with a thin carbon-fiber layer laminated to it, then a clear gloss protective layer laminated over the carbon fiber giving that great look, exactly as in the video and photos. 

3. I have no control over the shipping cost, and I get individual quotes for each order.  I do not mark up the shipping, but I do round it off to the closest dollar.  

I hope that answers some questions. If anyone has questions I will be happy to answer them. :)

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3