Enabling the Nav system to work while moving

thanks for the info on this and to see someone has done it on some car. My one question, as per option #1, the one I would personally do as I have already rewired other functions in my car with rocker switches (my inside lights you can read elsewhere) is what other system is affected by this ground? That is, I wonder if the backup sensors or computer diagnostic system some or other function or feature would be adversely affected if the ground were left open? Am I correctly assuming part of the point of the toggle is not just to be able to select it to be open or closed ground, but that it would be flipped while driving (versus right from start) to disengage the ground and free up the nav? As I wonder what would happen if you left the circuit open, toggle on, for other features or sensors or computer diagnostics?

Actually I think what we need to find is the wire that transmits the vehicles speed to the Nav unit.

I think it's been previously mentioned but; The Nav unit does work with the car in drive as long as you are not going faster then maybe 2-3 MPH.

If it was just a park/ground wire, then the unit would not work if the vehicle was in drive at a speed of 2-3 MPH.

I haven't taken my unit out, but I presume that with a multi-meter and someone in the passenger seat, you could check each wire individually to find the wire that has a variable voltage reading that corresponds to the speed of the vehicle.

Anyone try this yet?

NYEdge may be correct in that you may need to disconnect the VSS wire. I personally have seen this issue on other stick nav units, so this may be the case here as well. Like I said I have not tested the ford edge.

Lex- In my after market deck I have the parking break wire to a toggle as mentioned and also have a rear view camera and have no conflicts, while this should be tru to the stock nav unit, only testing can be the definitive way to determine that. You may also want to install a diode so that no voltage back feeds the stock nav unit. I wish I had a stock unit I could easily find the wire for you and call it out. The VSS wire is easy to find, its the only sire that will have a AC current- meaning that it will alternate positive/negative with the increase in speed and or tachometer.

hth,

steve

"I just don't understand why you would need to enter a NEW address while moving so often that this becomes an issue. Don't you have the address before you start? Given that you can store multiple addresses and select them as destinations while you're moving - I just don't see the NEED to do this more than once in a blue moon. Or is it just a case of being lazy and not putting the address in before you leave?"

Some people want the right to do as they choose, and its their God given right to do whatever they please. Whether you agree with it or not its THEIR right. You have nothing constructive to offer this topic and should move on.

I personally am like Lex, I can multi-task more than the average person can, this mod is obviously not for everyone or it would be a stock feature. Everyone has their reasons for wanting to do what they want to do, its not anyone elses business to tell them what they can or cant do. So please if you have nothing to add to the discussion take your opinion elsewhere, your opinion is what it is.... a opinion. It has been noted.

Edited by mano1192

I haven't taken my unit out, but I presume that with a multi-meter and someone in the passenger seat, you could check each wire individually to find the wire that has a variable voltage reading that corresponds to the speed of the vehicle.

Anyone try this yet?

The wire does not sense the vehicle "speed" as indicated per the name VSS "vehicle speed sense" wire. This input to a nav unit only tells it how much rpm's are sent to the engine, thus calculating the average speed. Please do not drive your vehicle while testing wires, this is not a safe practice.

Not to sound "fatherly" I am a professional 12v installer and do not want to see anyone doing unnecessary things in incorrect fashion especially when its not safe. Just rev the engine while testing and you will see the AC current ramp up and down to match the rev of the engine. You do not need to have the car in drive, park is fine.

For anyone who would like some info on 12v installation information please see this site, it is very useful: Basic Car Audio Electronics

/steve

Some people want the right to do as they choose, and its their God given right to do whatever they please.

What a stupid, selfish statement. I couldn't care less what you do in the privacy of your home, but when you're driving on a public street where your actions can affect others then you do NOT have the RIGHT to do whatever you please.

I was simply pointing out that making this modification so you can enter addresses while YOU are driving is dangerous and that the "need" to do this is overstated. I can understand allowing a passenger to do it and have no problem with it.

I just hope when you do wreck that it's a one-car accident and your selfishness doesn't affect other people. I'll even nominate you for a Darwin award.

I just hope when you do wreck

wow akirby.... you've one upped yourself this time. the levels your willing to go to make your already made point here are surprising. :beatdeadhorse: at this stage, I think it obvious you have transcended over into more than just trying to point out how or why it could be dangerous... and somehow you have yourself convinced peoples desire to want to be able to do this is so utterly unfathomable despite the fact there are dozens of things equally demanding one does in a car daily that 'could', 'maybe', 'might' affect other drives or despite the fact a stand alone unit and other manufacturers stock nav units can already do it... and those people are driving right next to you right now, last night, yesterday and will be tomorrow. but to say "I just hope when you do wreck".... wow :eek5: you have become the champion for the anti-make-your-nav-unit-stand-alone crusade.

maybe we can agree that from here on out, we just leave the thread to those that want to work it out and make it happen with no more caveats and disclaimers and warnings and.... its all been said already so we do not need it again.... what we need is the correct answer on how to make it work on the Edge :)

Perhaps I overreacted, but when people make statements like "I like to fiddle with my nav system all the time", "I'm a good multi-tasker so it's not a problem", and "it's my right to do whatever I want" it tends to set me off.

I'll simply reiterate another poster's suggestion - please don't enter destinations while driving. And don't watch DVDs or read books, either. It's dangerous. End of discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't speak for everyone else on these forums... and I certainly will not attempt to convince you otherwise akirby... but these are my two most common scenarios, 1- I usually drive with my wife and my 2 year old daughter in the car and often we wanna stop by the nearest store, restaurant, gas station, or shopping mall... it's a LOT easier for my wife to work the nav while I'm driving, rather than for me to pull over and have us fight over who can work the nav system better - :) Secondly, when I'm on my own and I need to get to different places at once, I'll play around with my nav and do what I have to do, without having to pull over the side of the road and risking being hit from behind as I attempt to get back on the road... I live in NY, worst yet, I drive a lot on the 495 Expressway which tends to be infested with Semi-trucks... you can do the math.

Bottom line, you are entitled to your opinion... good for you if you are a safe driver.... but hey we can't stop the world right? I wish I could stop women from fixing their make-ups while driving 80 mph, I wish I could get every drunk driver and coke-head off the road, i wish I could get older/slower drivers off the fast lane - but guess what? life's a bizzatch ... and you just have to deal with it.

I understand doing something like that once in a while - I've sent a few text messages while driving myself. I just don't like advocating doing something like that constantly. Too many people don't pay attention to the road anyway. Just because there are other distractions doesn't mean we need to add more or make it worse.

Personally, I feel that having a warning on the startup screen that says not to operate the nav system manually while driving would be enough. Unfortunately, many juries do not and the vehicle mfrs stand to lose millions in a lawsuit.

While I fully agree with your reasoning, what about if someone pulls over to the side of the road because something happened with the NAV & the driver is afraid of getting lost. In doing this, he gets in an accident & blames the manufacturer because he couldn't reset it or have a passenger do so while moving? I think this would stand a shot at winning in court.

I feel that a warning is enough. Much like seatbelts, there are chimes & blinking lights & messages staring back at you to remind you. Also, they are law in most places. Yet, you cannot force people to use them if they choose not to.

what about if someone pulls over to the side of the road because something happened with the NAV & the driver is afraid of getting lost. In doing this, he gets in an accident & blames the manufacturer because he couldn't reset it or have a passenger do so while moving?

You never know with juries, but a) the driver was on the side of the road so any accident would have been caused by another driver failing to maintain their lane and B) the driver was not forced to stop in the first place. So I don't see that one having a chance.

No different than a car having a mechanical breakdown and the same thing happening - is the mfr liable for an accident? Don't think so.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Navs on both of my Ford vehicles. Having to make adjustments while stopped is a true PITA. One thing I can say for sure, any average prosecuting attorney would exploit the fact that someone modified and/or disabled a safety feature on a vehicle that was involved in an accident. Defense would have a hard time justifying a client's actions of deliberately removing a safety feature. May be a long shot, but we all know lawyer$.

I apear to be able to change any thing to do with the NAV at any speeds....canadian thing? oh well i don`t use it anyways, just wanted to see if it would let me...

Can you type in a new destination address? That's the part that is blocked here in the U.S. It's possible Canadian versions don't have that restriction but I doubt it.

• 1 month later...

So okay... no one has given anything useful as to how to do this mod then, that's what it seems like.

I hate the feature SPECIALLY cuz when my wife is in the passenger seat, and I want her to find something on the NAV, the buttons are blacked off cuz of this ridiculous safety feature. They should have put it on one of the settings and options...something you could turn on and off.

If they considered that too distracting, then what do they have to say about people that light up their smokes while driving? or the idiot paying attention to the baby in the back seat while moving forward???

it's their problem and they'll have to deal with it through the insurance.

I cant believe you cant even have the option for the PASSANGER to navigate the damn thing for ya.

OK so here is a way to get around the system. Simply go to the map, make it large enough so that you are in the general area, touch the general area you want to go, now you are in POI mode which works while driving, get the map blown up larger and larger until you hit where you want to go perfectly then set to for a destination. Of course it only works if you know where to go

• 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a way to use the nav system while in motion, or if it has been figured out yet.

I found this on another forum, and it works!

1. Take vehicle outside and agree to nav instructions. The gps needs to know its position.

2. Push hard nav button (on right side of radio). Go to your address book. Pick any of one of your saved addresses. Now that address is highlighted, look to right and push soft edit button. You will now see name of saved address.

3. Clear name of saved address and type in F-DEVELOP ON

(make sure to put space between DEVELOP and ON).

4. Now look to the upper left corner and you will see the word ADDRESS. Place your finger directly under the A and hold. If you do this right, the screen should change to the map screen.

5. Now push your hard menu button (on left side of radio). Across top of radio push soft SECURITY button. You have now entered security screen. You will see nothing in the lower right most corner of nav screen. Push your finger and hold in that position till the screen changes.

6. You now have entered a parameter screen. Locate DRIVING RESTRICTIONS release. When you push the button it should change to driving restrictions stop. Exit the screen by pushing the soft BACK button.

7. Congrats you have just programmed your factory nav radio. NOTE: Every time you turn your vehicle off, you will need to repeat steps 5 & 6.

Good luck and enjoy. If you choose to monkey around with your other parameters, do so at your own risk. I will not be responsible for your dealer service call. This programming sequence should work for only the so called first generation navs. It will not work on the 09, second generation. This has been used to reprogram many 07 and 08 Ford vehicles.

Edited by NYEdge
  • Like 1

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a way to use the nav system while in motion, or if it has been figured out yet.

I found this on another forum, and it works!

1. Take vehicle outside and agree to nav instructions. The gps needs to know its position.

2. Push hard nav button (on right side of radio). Go to your address book. Pick any of one of your saved addresses. Now that address is highlighted, look to right and push soft edit button. You will now see name of saved address.

3. Clear name of saved address and type in F-DEVELOP ON

(make sure to put space between DEVELOP and ON).

4. Now look to the upper left corner and you will see the word ADDRESS. Place your finger directly under the A and hold. If you do this right, the screen should change to the map screen.

5. Now push your hard menu button (on left side of radio). Across top of radio push soft SECURITY button. You have now entered security screen. You will see nothing in the lower right most corner of nav screen. Push your finger and hold in that position till the screen changes.

6. You now have entered a parameter screen. Locate DRIVING RESTRICTIONS release. When you push the button it should change to driving restrictions stop. Exit the screen by pushing the soft BACK button.

7. Congrats you have just programmed your factory nav radio. NOTE: Every time you turn your vehicle off, you will need to repeat steps 5 & 6.

Good luck and enjoy. If you choose to monkey around with your other parameters, do so at your own risk. I will not be responsible for your dealer service call. This programming sequence should work for only the so called first generation navs. It will not work on the 09, second generation. This has been used to reprogram many 07 and 08 Ford vehicles.

NYEdge: That is awesome!! I recently got rid of my Edge (it was a lemon!) but I had just put a switch on the VSS wire and hit it whenever I wanted to change an address.

I would have done this if I had know about it!

After AKirby tried to ruin this thread by pretending to be the forum police I had stopped paying attention to it.

Good to see someone help out!!

Keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

After AKirby tried to ruin this thread by pretending to be the forum police I had stopped paying attention to it.

As a moderator, AKirby is forum police. Regardless, I found her discussion quite nasally and annoying. I will be content never again to read a post from her.

...This programming sequence should work for only the so called first generation navs. It will not work on the 09, second generation. This has been used to reprogram many 07 and 08 Ford vehicles.

Has anyone found a way of entering this 'developer mode' in post 2009 models?

My 2011 Edge is on order and I don't require a litigator, an automobile manufacturer or a forum moderator to dictate under what circumstances I may use my gear

Edited by dk0r

As a moderator, AKirby is forum police. Regardless, I found her discussion quite nasally and annoying. I will be content never again to read a post from her.

Has anyone found a way of entering this 'developer mode' in post 2009 models?

My 2011 Edge is on order and I don't require a litigator, an automobile manufacturer or a forum moderator to dictate under what circumstances I may use my gear

Just tried on 2011 edge. Couldn't get it to work. I think since it is a different nav system

Would you say the same thing if I walked in front of your house with a gun?

But to the point, the 2009+ system is a totally different system and the same hacks won't work. The 2011 system is different again. There are aftermarket devices to enable the 2009+ systems, but I haven't heard of anything out there for the 2011 yet.

There are alot of things that are disabled while driving. It says for your safety these have been disabled but its more of a hazard when i get fed up trying to do a simple task and the sync system is telling me its disabled.

there should be 'jailbreaks' for sync systems that let people put open source apps on there so we can enable that stuff while driving or iphone texting support, etc.

Edited by _11680

Why do I care? Because some idiot who's trying to type in an address might just cross the center line and hit me or my family head on. And typing in an address takes your eyes off the road much longer than most other distractions. You can't prevent a driver from eating, reading or otherwise not paying attention to the road, but this is one feature that can be controlled.

I understand it's a nice feature for the passenger to use - unfortunately they can't reliably tell whether it's the passenger or driver using it. There is only one mfr that offers this feature from the factory according to Ford - all others use the same type of safety lockout.

My point is that it's such a trivial inconvenience to pull over to the side of the road or get off the interstate once or twice a year compared to depending on drivers to be mature and responsible and not take their eyes off the road. We let 16 year olds drive now - would you trust one not to be playing with their nav system?

I could not agree with akibry and disagree with Lex more. Let me be politically incorrect here and blunt.

Lex: you are obviously the ultimate all-being: you can do many things at the same time, while you drive. Why don't you add this to your talents, all while driving (which is critical here): play guitar, UFC with passengers, and drink excessively.

Maybe until you kill children or other innocents, or, better still, have your children/family killed will you learn that the benefits associated with your finnagling is not worth the risk.

Freedom comes with a tad of responsibility, bud.

(and since, if you and your ilk are true believers of freedom, do not re-but since (my) freedom ought to be unfettered)

JC!