Latest air bag recall notice

I got a letter for my Edge today as well. I actually tossed it. Pulled it back out after reading your post. Edge's only get $30 a day for rental. I almost think that has to be wrong. So I could go to them today and say I am waiting for parts, give me a rental. It could be months. Crazy. Or am I missing something??? A nice way to keep my mileage down.

• Like 1

More importantly now that they offer a rental option, they probably won't be held liable if something does happen prior to repair work being completed.

Remember, this is for the PASSENGER air bag recall ONLY. Still have not addressed driver air bag recall. You may not have a passenger in the front seat 100% of the time, but you are sure to have a driver ...

I still wonder how this will work. On other recalls you can wait months for parts. So if I go in there today are they going to keep my Edge and just have it sit on the lot? For weeks/months? Liability? Something happens to it, etc.? Think how many they would have larger cities. Or if I can keep it, I just got a free (yes smaller) car to drive.

More importantly now that they offer a rental option, they probably won't be held liable if something does happen prior to repair work being completed.

Remember, this is for the PASSENGER air bag recall ONLY. Still have not addressed driver air bag recall. You may not have a passenger in the front seat 100% of the time, but you are sure to have a driver ...

My 2017 Sport build date is Feb 2017 and had the drivers air bag recall done at my local dealership around June 2017 - just took a couple of hours.

Should I expect a recall notice for the passenger air bag?

A couple of years ago my company 2010 Ford Fusion went in for the gas tank recall - it needed a new gas tank and there were no parts available, so I drove a 2014 Fusion for 7 months while waiting for the gas tank.

Edited by 1004ron

From the notice, it seems even with a rental you still keep your Edg/MKX with you till replacement parts are available, then you bring it in.

@1004ron, the recall is different for the 2015+ Edge. Till now only the driver's airbag was recalled. No recall was announced for the passenger Airbag.

• Like 1

Was the driver's side also recalled for the 2007-2010 models? It is not included in this list:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls.html

That was one of the first things I thought of also; but no other manufacturer is offering this, and the actual risk is VERY low.

As far as my car, only the front, passenger airbag is affected. I'm assuming that none of the others (front driver or side airbags) are. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Per Ford:

Vehicles recalled for driver-side inflators
2005-14 Ford Mustang
2005-06 Ford GT
2004-06 Ford Ranger built in North America

Vehicles recalled for passenger-side inflators
2005-13 Ford Mustang
2004-11 Ford Ranger built in North America
2006-12 Ford Fusion
2007-10 Ford Edge
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2007-12 Lincoln MKZ
2007-10 Lincoln MKX
2006-11 Mercury Milan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with all this...

2008 edge limited.

My first recall notice was 2 years ago.

Got the above mentioned letter and actually had my edge in my shop at the house waiting on a a new blower motor from amazon. It took almost 2 weeks to get a rental. They (enterprise ) wanted to give me a Corolla but I fought them as the edge is the smallest vehicle we have and the kids car seats barley fit in it.

I was driving my old 12 mpg 4x4 f150 65+ miles a day in the meantime.

$44 a day is $1320 a month but the rental place say you have to look at per day rental price not monthly rates. $44 a day is a compact car, $1320 a month would put you in a new expedition. I’m guessing enterprise will pocket the difference..

I was told it will likely be months before the airbag is designed and tested in my exact year edge and that I will have to take the rental in monthly for service/ inspection.

As far as driving the edge my understanding is the propellant for the air bag holds moisture and *rust* the metal portions of the air bag and upon impact and deployment it fragments like a claymore mine “sending shrapnel throughout the passenger compartment” doesn’t sound fun so I am more than happy to cruise in a new rental “intermediate suv” for a few months. btw- enterprise has something like 17 classes of car sizes so good luck. I had to get Ford corporate involved to get a rental larger than the first offered Corolla. I actually told ford corporate they could buy the thing from me for about 4 months rental and come out ahead- They were not amused. Also Usaa (my auto insurance) allowed me to store the vehicle so it is still on my policy but at a much reduced rate.

Btw I’m in a 2018 Kia Sportage. (Not even as big as an Edge)

I’d love to hear others experiences.

• Like 1

I called my local dealer in Connecticut and they said:

1. Ford has raised the rental to 44 bucks a day
  2. you keep your car at home and don't drive it
  3. when you pick up your rental they record the mileage on your Edge.
  4. They wouldn't let me know what I would be getting for a rental.
  5. Additional insurance is your problem. (my insurance covers for rentals)

I like my Edge and don't want another car. Not driving a car for months at a time is really bad for it. I'm hoping for a quick resolution before 2019.

• Like 1