New AWD System for 2019 Edge, with Fuel Economy and Date Provided

Rimcrim

Ford has provide a press release with some more info about a new AWD system in the 2019 Edge.

• New 2019 Ford Edge, including all-new performance-enhanced Edge ST, introduces new all-wheel-drive disconnect, a first-for-Ford system that helps improve traction and reduce gas usage over the previous model
  • All-wheel-drive disconnect switches automatically between two-wheel and all-wheel drive in a fraction of a second, using a form of artificial intelligence to sift through information like wheel slip, road conditions, vehicle speed, windshield wiper usage and outside temperature
  • Other Edge and Edge ST tech features that help reduce fuel consumption include active transmission warm-up, deceleration fuel shutoff and exhaust gas recirculatiom

It also has some info about preliminary fuel economy numbers too;

• With standard all-wheel drive and a 2.7-liter V6 EcoBoost® engine, Edge ST, the first SUV from the Ford Performance team, has EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway/21 mpg combined. Actual mileage may vary.

Looks like they may be in dealerships in a couple of weeks:

• The new Edge and Edge ST are due to arrive in showrooms later this month.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/09/12/new-ford-edge--edge-st-use-artificial-intelligence-to-help-impro.html

Edited by Rimcrim

Frankly I don't like the idea that the engine will shutoff while decelerating or the engine stop/start function. However I do know the latter can be switched off each time the engine starts with the button on the console. I would like to disable both permanently. I just hate the idea of not having total control of the vehicle including braking and steering. I am hoping that these items can be permanently disabled in the menu and/or submenus. Alternatively, using Forscan or similar program to disable. In my view all these functions should not have been included in a performance vehicle if this is truly a performance vehicle as advertised. I know I am sounding "old school" but I am a driver and want all decisions left in my control. Btw I wonder how these functions would affect driving on a track if one choses. Can't image the engine shunting down while decelerating at the end of a straight entering a hairpin.

• Like 1

I just hate the idea of not having total control of the vehicle including braking and steering.

Yes, you are right, and I delete them whenever possible.

But, do you know why they are there, because the world has so many bad drivers that the vehicle has to be programed to try and protect the stupid people from themselves. Why would we possibly need a lane departure warning system (with steering correction) if drivers could keep the car between the lines, and I see it every day. :hysterical:

Frankly I don't like the idea that the engine will shutoff while decelerating or the engine stop/start function. However I do know the latter can be switched off each time the engine starts with the button on the console. I would like to disable both permanently. I just hate the idea of not having total control of the vehicle including braking and steering. I am hoping that these items can be permanently disabled in the menu and/or submenus. Alternatively, using Forscan or similar program to disable. In my view all these functions should not have been included in a performance vehicle if this is truly a performance vehicle as advertised. I know I am sounding "old school" but I am a driver and want all decisions left in my control. Btw I wonder how these functions would affect driving on a track if one choses. Can't image the engine shunting down while decelerating at the end of a straight entering a hairpin.

Where exactly does it say the engine shuts off when decelerating? Cutting the fuel off is not the same as turning the engine off.