Realistic MPG

kafreeman

• 1 month later...
Same here... 4200 miles on our 2008 Limited BAMR W/20's. On our longest highway trip to date 2.5 hours we saw 21MPG. Hoping that the engine breaks in further and gives up better mileage

I have the same car - bought in on Sept 3 of this year (2009) brand new with 40 miles on it. I am now at 1400 miles and haven't done better than 20mpg.

Hi,

my Eddie (FWD) is driven here in Germany in quite rural area...with a few hills and so on.

I just realize few days ago that my dealer put a wrong tirepressure on my tires...only 30.5 PSI (2.1 bar).

Normal is 35 PSI (2.45 bar) on 245/60R18.

My average mpg (US) is 17.6 (13.5 L/100km) till yet. In the beginning were 21 or 22 mpg (10,7 - 11,5 L/100km) possible, too...but only without much hills...on straight and flat roads. Interestant is that i realize that Eddie's mileage is not very bad influenced by city driving...so far it is not brutal stop and go.

Shortly I put the tire pressure on 37 PSI (2.55 bar). I will tell you if the mileage will become better in next weeks.

Greets from Germany

Marc

Edited by Marccom

• 2 weeks later...

Checked Tire pressure,temp 22 deg F,pressure was 32 psi raised to 35 psi,refueled,added Lucas Top Cyl oil,Drove about 2 miles to Southern State Pkwy,(New York) Drove about 65 miles to exit 64,Snow and wind conditions, mileage was 25.2,avg speed 65-70,last 15 miles about 55 mph on the return trip,roads were snow covered,high winds,65 mph avg,down to 50 until I passed the snow plows,Mileage was 24.2 mpg,car has 5570 miles,Edge Limited AWD,Marty

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 Sport AWD with 22 inch wheels. It only has about 800-900 miles on it. I've been averaging about 13-14 mpg around town. I haven't had it on any long highway drives yet so i don't know what kind of mileage it get. I sure hope the city mileage goes up. I had a 2006 Infinti G35X and it averaged 16-17 mpg around town. I was hoping the Edge would get at least that.

In mid January I took my 2010 SEL on a 1900 mile trip. At the start, it had 1,800 miles on it. It was almost exclusive highway driving, typically driving 5 mph over the posted speed. I checked my MPG at each fill up, and consistently got 22 MPG. The exception was gas I purchased in Indiana, which got 26 MPG. Their gas pumps did not have any stickers on them stating there was ethanol in it. I bought gas in Indiana on the return trip with the same result. All the other gas I bought came from pumps indicating 10% ethanol.

On a side note, the MPG from the computer was pretty close to what I was getting by doing the math at each fill up. Cool.

• 3 weeks later...

On my wife's 2008 AWD Limited, up here at 5200-7200 ft elevations, probably 75% highway getting 22 mpg according to the car's computer. That is also with the winter blend gas that usually knocks off 1-2 mpg in most vehicles. Hope to see it warm up soon and also get back to real gas instead of this watered down ethanol blend for winter.

• 4 weeks later...

2007 AWD 60k miles | Recent trip from Baltimore to NYC I averaged 20.5 mpg on the Jersey Turnpike. However, my daily driving habits and normal commute to work, highway however rarely hit 50 mph (damn dc commuters) my avg is "Calculated" at 16 mpg. I have even recorded as low as 12 mpg when it was a full tank of gas of just running around town. (My wife drove it for two weeks before we realized the lousy gas mileage.)

What is the realistic MPG of the Edge in FWD vs AWD?

Ford specs it to be a 1 MPG difference in the city, 2 on the highway.

I found a fully loaded AWD, where I may not need it as I have a 4x4 Dodge Diesel, it could come in handy.

The first year I had my MKX AWD I was disappointed in the mileage ( 15 city & 19.5 trips ). At 10,000 miles I had the PTU unit replaced & switched to syn oil. I now get 17 city, I have not been on a trip this year yet. The trip computer on my car always reads higher than the actual mileage.

Edited by LFJ2025

• 4 weeks later...

i just joined the forum my family has a 08 edge fwd its been gittin like 16-18 round town since we got it ruffly 2 yrs ago it had 10,000 on it when we got it not it had round 17,000 dad put a k and n filter in few weeks ago and on last fill up got 22.7mpg round town not bad with just a filter change :)

i just joined the forum my family has a 08 edge fwd its been gittin like 16-18 round town since we got it ruffly 2 yrs ago it had 10,000 on it when we got it not it had round 17,000 dad put a k and n filter in few weeks ago and on last fill up got 22.7mpg round town not bad with just a filter change :)

Welcome and please don't take this the wrong way, but could you please use some periods and capital letters? No caps or punctuations makes it very difficult to read your posts.

Welcome and please don't take this the wrong way, but could you please use some periods and capital letters? No caps or punctuations makes it very difficult to read your posts.

lol no prob i was half asleep when i typed this yesterday . Thanks for reply tho and with the keyboard im using and the pc im using lot of times the punchuations dont always work .

That's pretty amazing in view of the fact that the computer sensors that measure airflow are behind the air filter in the system. They are between the air filter and the throttle body and adjust the mixture for whatever airflow is available!

If the engine had a standard carburetor, then I'd believe your numbers!

• 1 month later...

Hi- Just joined the forum.

'08 SEL FWD w/36K on the odo.

Seeing around 18.6 on the on-board computer, mostly around town stop-n-go. I also track it w/every fill up; see my findings here: http://www.fuelly.co...r/punerrus/edge

Great vehicle, really enjoy the space, power, and overall looks. Traded a newer Camry for this Edge and don't miss the Toyota a bit.

~P~

• 1 year later...

What is the realistic MPG of the Edge in FWD vs AWD?

Ford specs it to be a 1 MPG difference in the city, 2 on the highway.

I found a fully loaded AWD, where I may not need it as I have a 4x4 Dodge Diesel, it could come in handy.

My 2011 ford edge selAWD was on average 19mpg City and 25 Hyway.- I recently added a high intake exhaust and both dropped from city 15 mpg to hyway 19 MPG.

I was under the assumption less restriction better milage sounds like common sense but the Fuel display shows different.

Edited by AderitoGomes

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My family makes a few trips East or South a year . Its usually an 8-12 hour trip and if loaded lightly we have seen 28 mpg avg with 18s and Michelins . If average payload to fully loaded we get 25 mpg highway . I'd say we get 22-23 in mixed driving with a FWD 2008 model . Have seen 18 mpg HWY once in cold , rainy , hilly conditions and lots of traffic in PA .