Realistic MPG

kafreeman

What is the realistic MPG of the Edge in FWD vs AWD?

Ford specs it to be a 1 MPG difference in the city, 2 on the highway.

I found a fully loaded AWD, where I may not need it as I have a 4x4 Dodge Diesel, it could come in handy.

Edited by kafreeman

I have a 2007 AWD and only have a mile each way to work so you really cant go by my city MPG. My car dosent even warn up by the time I get to work. So with that said I get 12 in the city with the AWD. I would say normal would be 14-15 with AWD. FWD would be better for the MPG. I just read a review of a 2008 Limited FWD by Autosvant.com and they were getting 30 MPG with the FWD and easy HWY (60 MPH). I have a problem going 60 MPH so I can tell you at 75-80 I get 23-24 HWY in the AWD.

Fuel Economy

We do not usually break out fuel economy into its own section, but we felt it was necessary this time. The simple reason is the exceptionality of the mileage we were getting with the Edge. Around town, you can easily feel the effect of the hefty curb weight, and V6 power, and we averaged only twelve miles per gallon. However, this was in our usual urban driving environment of a traffic light or four-way stop sign at each block, and the resulting endless stop-and-go chore. However, once the Edge was underway on a green wave, or driving in a more suburban setting with fewer lights and better traffic flow, the mileage immediately jumped to almost twenty miles per gallon. Finally, in relaxed highway cruising (without cruise control) we averaged above thirty miles per gallon! We expected 25, maybe even 27 from the Edge, but seeing consistent 30 and even 33 mpg in such a big car was very surprising. In all of our highway drives, traffic conditions had us drive right at the 60 miles per hour sweet-spot, so our results are no-doubt higher than we would get on a true interstate; nonetheless, the Edge is very frugal for a car its size and with so much power

Full review here-> http://www.autosavant.net/2008/05/2008-ford-edge-review.html

Edited by Stevea26

mixed driving in our 07 AWD usually right at 20mpg. it'll dip down to low 18's, and get upwards of 21's, but that's about it. we have around 4200 miles right now. getting ready to do a 10+ hour trip to San Antonio, from chouteau, ok. hope to see some 25's or better during our trip, if i can keep my foot out of it. as we get closer to $4 gal. it's getting easier to not be so lead footed.

• Like 1

The hard part is to get us to do the things that make the car get good MPG. We all and the BIG wheels and we all drive 75-85 on the HWY. I think we would all be shocked to find what a car like this would get in FWD with soft driving with the STD wheel and tire pkg. I know I wanted the 18's at least and would have loved the 20's but you couldnt get them in 07. And driving on the HWY at 60 MPH is like drilling screws into my own hand, it's that painful for me. The car drives so well at 80 mph that it just feels downright slow at 55-60. It's also fun to gun it to merge onto to the HWY since thats the only time you can get away with flooring it to 80MPH and not being an a-hole. It would be interesting to see if anyone here had a FWD with the 17's that could try it out.

i got a great big smile on my face today. filled'r up, reset mpg, reset avg speed. pulled out, was disappointed at first 6, 7, 8 etc.... then jumped to 21, 22, 23...... went thru stop light dropped back down to 18,19........within a few more miles i reached 27!!!!!!!!!! highest i'd seen to this point was 23. now i'm really anxious about our trip to san antonio, i'm thinking......30 may be doable:) we'll see.

I have an 07 FWD Edge SEL Plus. The only option I don't have is the power lift gate and the navigation system. I drive every week on the highway, I travel 4 States now. I get 24.9 avg, most of the time, yes this is mostly highway but does include some city. I have gotten as much as 25.3 avg on a tank of fuel. I bought this vehicle new in October. Again I travel 4 States and am on the highway daily. I have no clue what it does in the city, I live in a suburb of St Louis and the city driving is the Highway.

I use Ford 5w20 Semi Synthetic Oil and try and use BP Fuel Premium Grade. I am very pleased. I am 46 years old and drive the limit or slightly higher, I rarely jack rabbit start and yes some of you would say I drive like an old man. Well maybe I do, But I certainly get good gas mileage.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from an 11 day trip from FL to NJ and back to FL. 90% of the trip was interstate driving the rest was around town in NJ.

We had just over 1,000 miles on the vehicle when we began the trip. At 70 mph we averaged 27-28 mpg. Bump it up to 75 and the average dropped to around 24-25 so we stayed at 70 max. :-)

Where we drove at 60-65 mph we averaged 30+ mpg.

The trip cost us $380.00 for gas.

I was amazed that this vehicle, FWD, could give that type of fuel economy.

The onboard computer is very sensitive to the changes in the road, more so than any vehicle we have had with this type of feature.

We are getting better than the listed 16 mpg around town. I would say the average is close to 19 mpg.

I can live with this type of mileage from a vehicle of this type/size.

• 2 weeks later...

so first three tanks done, 1st tank i calculated 19.3 mpg, second 22.9 mpg, and third at 20.3 mpg, *(note all readings are based on imperial gallons)* first tank was all city, second and third was all hiway, think what you may, i`m happy considering the 01 taurus we traded in got 20 mpg if i babied it on the hiway and let everybody wave (or finger) and pass us, considering it had an 3.0l V6 and this is a 3.6l, and the obvious extra weight of the edge, its better, and myself and the wife love it, it fits us and our uses perfect!

I am setting out on Thursday morning for a trip to Vegas from Chicago. It is 1800 miles each way and I should probably put on another 4-500 while there for 12 days, so I figure I should be driving around 4100 miles.

I plan on taking detailed MPG with both the trip computer and hand calculations.

Anywhere I can get 100% gas I will, so in Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming I should be good, I'm not sure about Utah if they have 100% or not.

I have a 2008 Limited AWD w/20" wheels current mileage 8600.

I've gotten 26 mpg in my edge limited. thats doing 80, so if you go slower you could get even better mpg.

Its a loaded limited AWD. Dont be fooled by the 22 avg on the highway. In town I get 15. Its gotten as low as 13 though.

but my avg's are

15/25

with 3k on it

I've gotten 26 mpg in my edge limited. thats doing 80, so if you go slower you could get even better mpg.

Its a loaded limited AWD. Dont be fooled by the 22 avg on the highway. In town I get 15. Its gotten as low as 13 though.

but my avg's are

15/25

with 3k on it

26MPG at 80MPH? Never in my Edge. best Hwy I got was 22MPG.

What state do you live in? Are you possibly using 100% gas? It is possible to get 26 with 100% but using E-10 I don't think it could happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip and when I left the Edge (FWD) only had around 400 miles on it. Ended up with an average of 24.1 mpg and that's mostly highway with a little city/county driving thrown in. Thought that was pretty good. Now I have almost 2,000 miles on it.

Today I had a nice surprise. Took my 2008 FWD on a 300 mile trip. I measured the odometer at fill-up before the trip and recorded gallons purchased. Repeated the same when I re-filled at the end of the trip. Calculated the numbers and was very surprised to come out with 26 MPG!

The miles were 95% highway / 5% city. I drove fairly conservatively averaging around 72mph on the highway.

The kicker in all of this is my car had only 1100 miles on it at the beginning of the trip, still deep within the break-in period. Can't wait to see the improvement after 5000 miles.

Ps. I inflated my tires to 41 prior to the trip.

Today I had a nice surprise. Took my 2008 FWD on a 300 mile trip. I measured the odometer at fill-up before the trip and recorded gallons purchased. Repeated the same when I re-filled at the end of the trip. Calculated the numbers and was very surprised to come out with 26 MPG!

The miles were 95% highway / 5% city. I drove fairly conservatively averaging around 72mph on the highway.

The kicker in all of this is my car had only 1100 miles on it at the beginning of the trip, still deep within the break-in period. Can't wait to see the improvement after 5000 miles.

Ps. I inflated my tires to 41 prior to the trip.

I'd be careful with the tire pressure - 41 is really high. 36-38 would be safer.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey man, nice to hear another honest person.. thats what I said, bout 15 mpg cith 18 highway.. I've had as low as 13 average.. You and me are the majority.. I know 3 other owners and confirmed it.. Some claim 30mpg??? what hill are they goin down..??

So 5 makes a majority of Edge owners?

Some people get lousy mileage - it isn't Ford's fault.

• 1 year later...